Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden on Monday Nights « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 8 9 10

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#135 : July 26, 2009, 09:32:39 PM

Yes.  That is exa.ctly what I am saying.  We don't6 pick the best player available and often not the best player for the position

Hate

Hall of Famer
#136 : July 26, 2009, 09:49:56 PM

Adams has contributed 12.5 sacks in two years. And as PR has pointed out - only Lamar Woodley has contributed more.

The mediocrity of the other DE's in that class doesn't make me feel much better about the number four overall draft pick. I don't think it's out of line to say Gaines hasn't lived up to his draft status, yet.

Very well said.

One of my very good friends is a Clemson grad and he follows them closely. He told me, and i posted it then, that Gaines is soft and wouldn't live up to the hype. Well, here we are..... 2 yrs later.

-------------------------------------------------------

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#137 : July 26, 2009, 10:15:21 PM

I'm not arguing Gaines contribution is anything other than lackluster.

I'm arguing that bringing Brady Quinn into the conversation is pointless - because by comparison - Brady's performance is below lackluster.

I am almost as tired of hearing about Brady Quinn's shoulda, woulda, coullda's - as I am hearing about Steven Jackson's...

As a matter of fact - one can actually make a case for Jackson, because he has a body of work as pro we can evaluate and compare.

Brady Quinn has nothing and will remain so (with me) until he has something to bring to the discussion.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#138 : July 26, 2009, 10:26:19 PM

I get where you're coming from.  I guess the main difference between the two is one has actually seen the field for 2 entire years and has been lackluster, while the other has had mixed results in only 2 career starts.

I personally wouldn't have chosen Quinn in that situation either.  He would have been my second choice though, behind a certain RB.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#139 : July 26, 2009, 11:58:48 PM

Hah...you are incorrigible!

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#140 : July 27, 2009, 09:35:50 AM

Gaines has operated in a system where there is little blitzing, and the DTs are gah-bage at collapsing pockets. I think it is unfair to crap on Gaines when the majority of the D-line has played rather poorly.

Plus he really does play more coverage than people think, if it's a 3rd down blitz he's in coverage because he's the most athletic DL so that's what Kiffin did.

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
#141 : July 29, 2009, 06:01:48 AM

Gaines has operated in a system where there is little blitzing, and the DTs are gah-bage at collapsing pockets. I think it is unfair to crap on Gaines when the majority of the D-line has played rather poorly.

Plus he really does play more coverage than people think, if it's a 3rd down blitz he's in coverage because he's the most athletic DL so that's what Kiffin did.

Yeah and he's damn good in coverage too.   His giraffe neck is good for reading the QB's eyes, that's why he gets those picks. 

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#142 : July 29, 2009, 10:35:18 AM

For an interesting take on this, go look at the post on other first rounders not signed yet.  Take a look at the list of draft picks available AFTER WE PICKED FREEMAN in round one.  Would you have rather had any of those guys instead of Freeman?  Especially since there is a CB, a WR, and several outstanding defensive players....all positions we are weak on especially the defense.

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#143 : July 29, 2009, 01:03:59 PM

For an interesting take on this, go look at the post on other first rounders not signed yet.  Take a look at the list of draft picks available AFTER WE PICKED FREEMAN in round one.  Would you have rather had any of those guys instead of Freeman?  Especially since there is a CB, a WR, and several outstanding defensive players....all positions we are weak on especially the defense.

Guess what? QB has been a position of need since the birth of this franchise. I wasn't happy with the pick at first. For years I have complained about this team's piss poor QB play and now we finally have a chance to see if we got a franchise QB. This new regime is trying to find our franchise QB something the last regime failed to do. I know why you are complaining about this pick because the selection of Freeman ruined our chances of drafting a certain QB from Florida next year.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#144 : July 29, 2009, 03:05:16 PM

Exactly!  Even if you don't want Tebow, the class of 2010 is an overall better group of QBs than 2009 was.  I would have waited!!! and picked up some defensive tackles, CBs or other defensive players that we are thin on this year.

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#145 : July 29, 2009, 03:36:06 PM

Next years draft class is more talented. I think at least two defensive tackles will go in the top 10. Next years QB class is overrated in my opinion. As of now the top 4 QB's are Bradford, Snead, Tebow, and mccoy. Only ONE of those 4 have actually ran a traditional offense. I like Snead the best and he will follow in Matthew Stafford's footsteps if he continues to improve. As of now I would take the 09 QB's over the 10 QB's. 

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#146 : July 29, 2009, 10:08:48 PM

Exactly!  Even if you don't want Tebow, the class of 2010 is an overall better group of QBs than 2009 was.  I would have waited!!! and picked up some defensive tackles, CBs or other defensive players that we are thin on this year.

The selection of Freeman means we won't be going QB in the first next year. We can FOCUS on defense.There are more talented players on the defensive side of the ball declaring next year most notably the defensive line a weakness for the bucs. We have the chance to select a major talent on the defensive side of the ball hopefully d-line. We need more talent on the defensive side of the ball. I'm sure buc fans agree with me. 

PLEASE GOD; PLEASE LET US GET CARLOS DUNLAP OR EVERSON GRIFFIN.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#147 : July 30, 2009, 12:46:52 AM

So you think Bradford (weak armed) or Colt McCoy (Chris Simms-like) is better than Josh Freeman? I think you could probably get a pretty good take on that from Roy Miller.

I usually hear this comment from folks that desperately wanted the Bucs to wait for Tebow - the irony of this is that some of the same analysts (specifically Gil Brandt) that rated Tebow in their top 10 prospects this year - rated Josh Freeman at the exact spot last year.

There may be MORE options next year - there is absolutely NO way to state these players will be better...

...as  much as I like you Ladyfan - this is just not a compelling argument.

Remember this: Nebraska senior defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh is projected as the number one rated tackle in next years draft.

Suh is a perfect fit for a Jim Bates style tackles and he is better than any prospect on this years board:

NFLdraftscout.com - Ndamukong Suh

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#148 : July 30, 2009, 12:56:06 AM

I am not so sure about next years QB class. I would take Stafford and sanchez before the #1 QB in next years class. Out of these 4 only one of them has shown me they can make an NFL type throw and that is Snead.

Bradford- Nice accuracy but what worries me is he relies on the offensive coordinator to make pre snap reads for him. that is a big times concern.
snead- Came on to the scene this year. Plays in a pro offense; but accuracy is a concern has not had a completion percentage over 60%. My fav out of the 4.
Mccoy- The last two Texas QB's drafted into the NFL were Simms and Vince young. Yuck. Plays in a gimmick offense? does he ever throw passes over ten yards?
Tebow- Needs to refine his whole game.
Page: 1 ... 8 9 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden on Monday Nights « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools