Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SC gov skips state meetings for trip with wife « previous next »
Page: 1

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

: July 15, 2009, 04:49:08 PM

Wow, I didn't realize this guy was still in office...  When is the last time this guy actually showed up to work?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090715/ap_on_re_us/us_sc_governor

SC gov skips state meetings for trip with wife

By JIM DAVENPORT, Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. – South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford headed out of state Wednesday for personal time with his wife, as the two try to reconcile, and skipped a meeting with a top economic adviser ahead of what's expected to be more bad economic news including rising joblessness.

Sanford spokesman Joel Sawyer refused to say where the Sanfords were headed or how they were getting there, but allowed they won't be traveling with their four sons. Sanford is in the midst of trying to reconcile with first lady Jenny Sanford after a tearful confession of an affair with an Argentine woman, Maria Belen Chapur.

"This trip is personal in nature, and we're not going to offer any further comment," Sawyer said. "The governor remains committed to repairing the damage he's done to his marriage, and so it shouldn't be any surprise that spending personal time with his wife is a part of that process."

Sawyer said meetings skipped this week will be rescheduled.

A month ago when the state's unemployment numbers came out and set a record, Sanford was with Chapur in Argentina. He later called her "the love of his life" and his "soul mate."

Sanford had no public schedule this week, but had private meetings planned, including one with John Rainey, the chairman of the state Board of Economic Advisors. That state revenue oversight board is expected to reduce its forecast Thursday and likely trigger across-the-board spending cuts at agencies. The state's spending has fallen by more than $1.2 billion in the past 12 months, or nearly a fifth.

On Friday, the state's unemployment numbers are expected. South Carolina's jobless rate in May was 12.1 percent, a record for the state and the nation's third highest behind Michigan and Oregon. That news broke a day after Sanford slipped his security detail and headed to Argentina.

Legislators aren't criticizing his effort to repair his marriage, but question his timing and ability to keep his eye on the state's affairs.

The reconciliation effort "doesn't negate the fact that we've got some serious, critical problems in the budget that is hemorrhaging every day because of the employment situation and the weak economy that requires our best efforts," said state Sen. Larry Martin, a Pickens Republican who has called on Sanford to resign.

"I think his preoccupation with his personal life right now is certainly expected but doesn't serve the state very well," Martin said.

Senate Minority Leader John Land is happy Sanford is working on his family problems, but noted the economy's ills demand his attention, too. "I think he does need to be here to manage that and to do whatever he can to improve the unemployment rate and the decline in revenue we're suffering in the state," said the Manning Democrat.

Sanford, who said he intends to remain in office and repair the damage he's caused, has had virtually no public schedule since details of his affair emerged from extensive interviews with The Associated Press two weeks ago. The Republican chief executive tearfully described details of the Chapur affair and disclosed dalliances with other women without providing details beyond saying they stopped short of sex.

Sanford had disappeared for six days in June to visit Chapur even though first lady Jenny Sanford had told him not to see the woman again. She had discovered the affair in January and allowed her husband to visit Chapur in New York City to break off the relationship. The Sanfords would later go through weeks of sessions with other couples to save their marriage.

biffbeaumont

Starter

#1 : July 15, 2009, 05:00:41 PM

This butt-clown needs to go. I can't believe their State Constitution does not provide for some kind of impeachment process and if it does, why the hell haven't they used it? What this guy did was deplorable. Leaving your state with no deputized second in command. no way to reach the Governor should a state emergency come up. Now, he's afforded time to patch things up with the wife he couldn't stand in the first place. These people disgust me. It happens in both parties. It's not the affair, it's the fact that he totally abandoned his elected job and did not make provisions for the State he governs should something happen. Hell, he left the damn country! Idiot.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 15, 2009, 05:01:00 PM

In other words, he and his wife are hammering out the divorce settlement during this time. She's only going to remain his wife as long as he's governor. When his term is over, he becomes just another schlepp without the power and the money (or less money anyway).  So I don't expect her to stick with him for the long haul.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 15, 2009, 05:09:06 PM

It's not the affair, it's the fact that he totally abandoned his elected job and did not make provisions for the State he governs should something happen.

Agree 100%

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 15, 2009, 05:22:51 PM

If impeachment is what they want in SC, we here in Illinois can pass along the process on how it's done! Our goof of a former governor is looking for work. :)

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 15, 2009, 08:27:28 PM

I think they were both spotted in Argentina with his mistress. I smell a Mormon union coming. Three way.

The guy cried like a baby to the AP during a lengthy interview. I am surprised he hasn't done the right thing and resigned.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 15, 2009, 09:49:07 PM

Three way.

Brownchickenbrowncow!

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#7 : July 16, 2009, 01:39:21 AM

His time at a govt meeting probably achieves as much as a meeting with a soon to be ex wife... nothing. A story that would never been mentioned had his scandal not happened.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#8 : July 16, 2009, 01:46:13 AM

His time at a govt meeting probably achieves as much as a meeting with a soon to be ex wife... nothing. A story that would never been mentioned had his scandal not happened.

Of course. But it did happen. So it's a story.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 16, 2009, 01:57:00 AM

Of course. But it did happen. So it's a story.

which is sad because this stuff happens all the time, by many governors. R and D I dont care... 90% of these meeting probably achieve nothing

slow news cycle

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#10 : July 16, 2009, 11:29:18 AM

LOL at Joe! Well, our former gov's wife isn't around much these days as she's too busy shooting some stupid reality show in South America. But maybe they'll all hook up in Argentina for a swinger's weekend four-way!

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SC gov skips state meetings for trip with wife « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools