Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yahoo's mock draft: Bucs pick CJ @ #4 over Thomas « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 09, 2007, 03:23:04 PM

Personally, I'd rather we run by virtue of a dominant OL than a pair of fast WR's. And lack of OL will haunt you in the playoffs more than a lack of WR's..

Yes because the lack of an OL gets you crushed trying to get the ball TO those WR's and without a good OL teams can sit in 7 man fronts, still crush the run, still rush the passer and drop 7 back to cover your stud WR's.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

marlevr

Second String
#16 : February 09, 2007, 03:24:10 PM

Exactly, OL > WR all day

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#17 : February 09, 2007, 03:37:10 PM

You don't pass on CJ to draft Levi Brown later. We should only pass on CJ if Thomas is available, if not, CJ should be the pick.
  Agree completely, only reason to pass on CJ is bc franchise type LOT is there.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#18 : February 09, 2007, 03:42:30 PM

You don't pass on CJ to draft Levi Brown later. We should only pass on CJ if Thomas is available, if not, CJ should be the pick.
Exactly.

tampabayfan

Pro Bowler

#19 : February 09, 2007, 05:04:09 PM

We have the o-line guys.  I dont think its a good idea to take another OL guy in the first round when they are other areas that dont have the young talent like DL, DE or Safety. The o-line needs more time to gel and work as a unit.  the last thing we need to do is change the oline again this year.

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

#20 : February 09, 2007, 05:06:28 PM

OK Ok here might be an interesting way of looking at the CJ and Thomas debate.
Everyone admits that CJ and Thomas are the best at their position in this years draft.

I think also everyone agrees that LT is a safer draft pick then WR as far as staying power (weather it is injury, FA or length of carrier)

But from a historical stand point is CJ or Thomas one of those dominant players at their position that you see come around once every 5-10 years or are they just the best at their position this year.

What do you all say.  Lets make it man law

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#21 : February 09, 2007, 05:50:31 PM

We have the o-line guys. I dont think its a good idea to take another OL guy in the first round when they are other areas that dont have the young talent like DL, DE or Safety. The o-line needs more time to gel and work as a unit. the last thing we need to do is change the oline again this year.

That's more true if we just had pass blocking concerns, but I agree we don't have to overhaul the line again.

It's just that, even with youth on the line, run blocking is pretty much a hit-the-guy-in-the-face proposition where there's not a whole lot of thinking involved. This line didn't show much in that regard, so a high-end road grader would benefit this offense in a big way. If that prospect can pass block too, so much the better..

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#22 : February 09, 2007, 06:14:34 PM

OK Ok here might be an interesting way of looking at the CJ and Thomas debate.
Everyone admits that CJ and Thomas are the best at their position in this years draft.

I think also everyone agrees that LT is a safer draft pick then WR as far as staying power (weather it is injury, FA or length of carrier)

But from a historical stand point is CJ or Thomas one of those dominant players at their position that you see come around once every 5-10 years or are they just the best at their position this year.

What do you all say.  Lets make it man law

I say Thomas is the best at his position this year and Johnson is a once a decade talent.  However, due to the importance of the position, I would prefer Joe Thomas.

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
#23 : February 09, 2007, 06:58:42 PM

Exactly.

And then we shop CJ for a 2nd rounder and a top 10 DE or DT.  :)

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!

BucsPrimetime

Rookie

#24 : February 14, 2007, 11:39:31 AM

FYI, On ESPN's Cold Pizza  First And Ten Rick Stroud of The St. Petersburg Times reported
Calvin johnson is working out with trainers for the Nfl Combine in Orlando, and reportedly during his mock 40 yard dash time he ran a super blazing 4.33 time, he was only expected to run a 4.5 forty

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#25 : February 14, 2007, 12:32:38 PM

According to this point system http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/draft_point_value_chart.htm
We would have to give up #35,#63,#68 just for a #15 pick. Levi Brown could slip here at 15.
We wouldn't have another pick though till pick #99/100. I'd only make this trade if we filled in the need for a Saftey in FA.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

gone

Hall of Famer
#26 : February 14, 2007, 01:18:06 PM

We have the o-line guys.  I dont think its a good idea to take another OL guy in the first round when they are other areas that dont have the young talent like DL, DE or Safety. The o-line needs more time to gel and work as a unit.  the last thing we need to do is change the oline again this year.

We have them on the right, but not the left, and center needs addressing too.  It's not more time we need, it's better talent, and someone to kidnap Mahan.  Beunning is out for a big chunk of the offseason too, so Guard may become an issue.  FA center, draft JT, FA guard or draft one late day one early day 2, this line would shape up fast. Just putting the same guys out there next year is a recipe for failure.

Swolf

Practice Squad

#27 : February 14, 2007, 01:32:31 PM

To me the debate about CJ or JT dosent matter at the moment depending on what happens in free agency. I personally will look at the draft late in March / Beginning of April depending on what happens in FA. A LOT can happen between now and then. JMO

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#28 : February 14, 2007, 02:12:38 PM

According to this point system http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/draft_point_value_chart.htm
We would have to give up #35,#63,#68 just for a #15 pick. Levi Brown could slip here at 15.
We wouldn't have another pick though till pick #99/100. I'd only make this trade if we filled in the need for a Saftey in FA.

We'd have to fill in a lot more than just a safety to do that trade.  We'd need to get 2 prime time D Linemen as well before we could justify giving up that many picks.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#29 : February 14, 2007, 02:50:35 PM

Unless JT can block a LB and a DE at the same time I don't think our run game will get much better with him in there than with Davis. I think we are weaker in the middle of the O-line more notably at C.
I have a feeling we will take JT if he is there, I am not 100% sure which I would take. CJ is great and can be a top WR, but a T like JT can probably make us play less max protect, which I am not sure matter when we have Clayton playing like he has been. I think Clayton has work eathic issues and has lost his hunger. Some players play for greatness and want to be great I think Clayton is happy being an NFL player, y ou can hate Keyshawn all you want, but if Clayton had a little bit of that swagger (I hate that word BTW) he may not be such a bust.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yahoo's mock draft: Bucs pick CJ @ #4 over Thomas « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools