Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Upcoming home USF games..... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

: October 26, 2007, 12:09:15 AM

Hahaha

I don't think so. It sounds like most of the players/ Leavitt like playing at the Ray Jay

But longterm they have to get one Id imagine for recruiting

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 25, 2007, 11:59:58 PM

probably jump off the wagon. Btw just curious is there plans for a stadium of there own?

dpc1192

Starter

#2 : October 26, 2007, 12:03:55 AM

Hahaha

I don't think so. It sounds like most of the players/ Leavitt like playing at the Ray Jay

dpc1192

Starter

#3 : October 25, 2007, 11:53:21 PM

I think I might go to one of them, and I was just curious to you die hards out there. Do you think the crowd at the Louisville or the Cincy game will be more crazy/ which would be a better game!

I'd get a group of my friends together and we'd be in the nosebleeds raising hell hahaha

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 28, 2007, 02:42:14 AM

There's a simple answer to this...Most college programs don't have access to a 1st class stadium Pro Stadium. It's that simple. UF and FSU don't. UM is going to be playing at the Dolphin's stadium soon. Right now they play in urine covered high school stadium. I'm absolutely fine with USF playing their home games at Ray Jay.

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 26, 2007, 01:00:47 AM

Hahaha

But longterm they have to get one Id imagine for recruiting

Ray Jay is actually a big recruitng tool.  It is widely recognized as one of the top 2-3 football venues in America.  Kids love getting to play in an NFL stadium.  Many of the recruits list playing at Ray Jay as one of the top reasons why they chose USF. Pitt plays in Heinz Field.  Miami plays off campus, USC, etc.. etc..

To answer the original poster's question.  Both games are going to be sold out, but when the game times are announced....if one is a night game go that one.  Night games at Ray Jay are electric.  Both games should be awesome though either way.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 26, 2007, 01:56:08 AM

Why build a new stadium for the Bulls when the Bucs only use RJ eight times a years? Unless playoffs.  What college player wouldn't want to play on that field. It is rated one of the best in football like JD said. The stadium holds plenty of people. The Bucs also get a share of the proceeds. Win/win for everyone for now.  I guess it depends on how big the bandwagon gets. You know how those Tampa fans are.  ::) Always back a winner.  ::) :D

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 26, 2007, 02:19:52 AM

Why build a new stadium for the Bulls when the Bucs only use RJ eight times a years? Unless playoffs. What college player wouldn't want to play on that field. It is rated one of the best in football like JD said. The stadium holds plenty of people. The Bucs also get a share of the proceeds. Win/win for everyone for now. I guess it depends on how big the bandwagon gets. You know how those Tampa fans are. ::) Always back a winner. ::) :D

Well when I first saw USF play(1/2 years ago) on TV and saw they were playing in an NFL stadium... the first thing I thought was lower tier college program. If I was a college AD I would want a stadium to call my own where I could have green seats, my own facilities not pink seats and Bucs facilities.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 26, 2007, 04:21:07 AM

Why build a new stadium for the Bulls when the Bucs only use RJ eight times a years? Unless playoffs. What college player wouldn't want to play on that field. It is rated one of the best in football like JD said. The stadium holds plenty of people. The Bucs also get a share of the proceeds. Win/win for everyone for now. I guess it depends on how big the bandwagon gets. You know how those Tampa fans are. ::) Always back a winner. ::) :D

Well when I first saw USF play(1/2 years ago) on TV and saw they were playing in an NFL stadium... the first thing I thought was lower tier college program. If I was a college AD I would want a stadium to call my own where I could have green seats, my own facilities not pink seats and Bucs facilities.
Last I checked the Bucs facilities were phenomenal.  Just like the stadium. I suppose that when we get a 100,000 person stadium with green seats the Bulls will be a real team.  One day we will hopefully get cheerleaders, tackling sleds, and everything else a real college team has. Maybe even a band.  We do have people across the nation trying to bring us down. Does that mean we are heading in the right direction?

Swolf

Practice Squad

#9 : October 26, 2007, 07:25:01 AM

Here is a great place to find all the answers to the OCS issue

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=25906.0

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 26, 2007, 01:05:34 PM

probably jump off the wagon. Btw just curious is there plans for a stadium of there own?

There is a funny but ironic story behind this topic.  I heard from people in the know that in the 60's a building company here in Tampa offered to build USF a stadium for FREE if they started a football program.  The schools head honcho decided that he wanted the school to be academically viewed and didn't want it to become a "football" school and turned down the offer.

I don't believe that USF has any plans at the moment to build an on campus facility.  They generate revenue by having the games at Ray Jay instead of going in the hole to build their own stadium.  I think as the program grows and their is an average crowd of about 60,000 at the home games we may see an on campus stadium in the works.  The main issue is that alumni and backers are usually needed when building a stadium and I think the program is to you to have that kind of support.  They are only 11 years old and just won their first bowl game.  these things take time.

Swolf

Practice Squad

#11 : October 26, 2007, 02:35:58 PM

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=25906.0

Yet Another OCS Thread... Okay... To catch up a lot of the newbies...

1.  Location
The long range plan for USF has a 'placeholder' for a stadium covering the eastern most parking lots of the Sun Dome.  The two western lots (the ones along Maple directly across from the college of business) will be replaced with parking garages.  Most campuses with stadiums have parking all across the campus -- so you can expect that when USF builds its OCS, there will be people parking at the College of Medicine and walking across campus.

University Mall is not really an option because Glimcher, the current owner of the mall, is selling the Mall as part of a two-mall package.  Despite the clientele and location issues, University Mall remains highly profitable for both Glimcher and the individual stores therein.  Bear in mind that Sears, Dillards, Macy's, and Burlington Coat Factory all own their locations as well as some parking areas, which could affect any sale of the Mall.

The area north of Fletcher - between the Claw (golf course) and Riverfront Park is owned by USF; however, it is all wetlands.  Current environmental regulations would make building the stadium in that location significantly cost prohibitive.  It would probably be cheaper to buy the mall.

2. Alcohol
The Beer/No Beer issue has been handled.  Unless the NCAA or the Big East passes a regulation prohibiting the sale of alcohol during games, you can expect USF to sell beer.

3. Design
There are certain things you can expect from a new stadium.  The first will be chairbacks, with or without armrests.  Yes, metal benches are a heck of a lot cheaper - but fan comfort is a major part of getting and retaining not only season ticket holders, but also the donors needed to help build and operate the facility.

You can also expect that a USF OCS will be bigger than UCF's 40K seat stadium.  Yes, building in phases would be possible -- but I would expect the initial stadium design to hold around 50,000 people.

Finally, the stadium design will probably include a lot of the creature comforts of Raymond James stadium - club levels, suite levels, a large number of bathrooms and concession stands, etc.  To attract and retain ticket buyers, going to the stadium has to be more than just the game on the field.

4. Finances
A decent stadium will cost around $150 million.  Unlike RayJay, USF can not expect any taxpayer dollars to help.  So the funds need to come from either private donations or the sale of bonds or a combination of the two.

With some simplified math, at a 6% interest rate, the bonds would cost around $900,000 per month or just under $11 million per year.  (In contrast, rent at Raymond James is $720,000 only per year). 

If we assume that ticket sales and annual donations fund the operation of the program (coaches salaries, travel costs, etc), then the debt service needs to come from new sources.  Naming rights can bring in $2 to $3 million per year.  Additional advertising sales, luxury box rent, parking fees, and concessions can bring in several million more per year.

It would appear that, without dedicating a portion of ticket sales or annual donations to debt service, affording an OCS becomes difficult.  For every $10 million in private donations - or cost reductions through design changes - the funds needed each year is reduced by around $700,000.  USF might need to raise at least half of the construction money before the first shovel of dirt is moved.

5. Timing
I would not expect USF to even consider building a stadium until the lower bowl is sold out for an entire year - that would mean a season of averaging more than 41,000 tickets sold.  I would also add that at least 25,000 or more of those will probably need to be season tickets - and those season tickets might need to be held by more than 10,000 season ticket holders. (Currently USF has less than 4,000 season ticket holders buying around 16,000 season tickets and averages around 30,000 tickets sold).

When will these benchmarks be achieved?  My guess is around 2010.  At that point, USF will appoint a stadium committee to first conduct an up-to-date feasibility study.  Then the committee will spearhead a capital campaign to raise private donations.  Once the committee reaches its goal, USF will seek permission to sell bonds for the construction.  That should be sometime in 2012 or 2013.  The stadium would then be open for the 2014 or 2015 season. 

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 26, 2007, 03:28:13 PM

Last I checked the Bucs facilities were phenomenal. Just like the stadium. I suppose that when we get a 100,000 person stadium with green seats the Bulls will be a real team. One day we will hopefully get cheerleaders, tackling sleds, and everything else a real college team has. Maybe even a band. We do have people across the nation trying to bring us down. Does that mean we are heading in the right direction?

No actually you dont need 100K most programs dont, the team I cheer for has a 54K stadium... Im not trying to bring them down Im just sayin, hey maybe with a good year there is talk about a stadium because every top 25 team I can think of have a stadium to themself not one shared, and I just asked the question but some of you USF fans are way to defensive over a basic question

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 26, 2007, 03:29:57 PM

I see no need to have a stadium for 6 home games when there is a perfectly good stadium there already.  May as well use Ray-J and save the extra $10 million a year it would cost to finance the stadium.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 26, 2007, 03:34:52 PM

I see no need to have a stadium for 6 home games when there is a perfectly good stadium there already. May as well use Ray-J and save the extra $10 million a year it would cost to finance the stadium.

does USF AD have a lot of people? Is there many boosters?

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Upcoming home USF games..... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools