Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "So You Don't Go To Church Anymore" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 24

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

: July 21, 2009, 09:24:36 AM

Let me say that I started this thread to share with those interested a book I found to be very interesting and perhaps, life changing.

12thbuc, good posts, but The Shack was a great book for me; I'm sure it will not be the same for others....

"So you don't go to church anymore" is a powerful book that challenges the modern church.  For me, it confirms what I have said so many times; we take something intended to be wonderful and make a mess of it!  Regardless of the setting, "church" has become an institution not what Paul describes as the true body.  Each of us who are believers are the body, regardless of where we are on the journey.  How will I ever achieve relationship that has meaning with others if what I say doesn't convey true love to them? 
Until we drop everything we have been taught about what church is supposed to be, only then will we allow those around us to share a glimpse of the love God has to offer. 
I preached a sermon 2-3 years ago at a friends church and referenced homosexuality throughout the message.  I pointed out what the bible has to say about those who choose the homosexual lifestyle.  At the end of the message an older woman approached me and was very blunt in her remarks that I was wrong in my viewing of homosexuals!  She then told me her son was a homosexual and lived in Atlanta.  He had accepted Christ as his savior at a young age, but lived his life as a homosexual. 
I then told her that I was sorry if my remarks had offended her, BUT, her son was not a true Christian if he was continuing his lifestyle choice.  She just continue to say I was dead wrong and walked away.  Some time later she began to come and get gas at the gas station I owned, but didn't remember me.  She often would ask me to check her oil, which I did, but never brought anything up about that sermon.  I often wondered why God was allowing her to come back into my life, but never followed through in doing what I knew was right and talking with her about it.  "It was obvious to me this was no coincidence her being at me station."
After reading this book God put this woman back on my heart.  I called my pastor friend and got her name yesterday; x.  I'm going to call her today and explain I was wrong in what I said to her.  I'm not going to go down the path of whether homosexuality is right or wrong, I'm not going to argue that you are born this way or you are not, I'm simply going to tell her I am sorry for hurting her through my words as a representative of God.   Letting her know God loves her son as much as he loves each of us.  Telling her not to give up on him or judge him as much of the world does.  I'm no judge of anyone.  All I can do is live my life God has given me and show others the love I have in him.  God is quite capable of taking care of things without me being his voice!  Real ministry is showing people who he is through us. 
I'm so thankful for such a powerful book.  I actually took the time to email the author and share with him how much it has helped me.  I received his reply this morning.....

BG, do you really think it's appropriate to post her name like that?

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#1 : July 21, 2009, 08:35:03 AM

Let me say that I started this thread to share with those interested a book I found to be very interesting and perhaps, life changing.

12thbuc, good posts, but The Shack was a great book for me; I'm sure it will not be the same for others....

"So you don't go to church anymore" is a powerful book that challenges the modern church.  For me, it confirms what I have said so many times; we take something intended to be wonderful and make a mess of it!  Regardless of the setting, "church" has become an institution not what Paul describes as the true body.  Each of us who are believers are the body, regardless of where we are on the journey.  How will I ever achieve relationship that has meaning with others if what I say doesn't convey true love to them? 
Until we drop everything we have been taught about what church is supposed to be, only then will we allow those around us to share a glimpse of the love God has to offer. 
I preached a sermon 2-3 years ago at a friends church and referenced homosexuality throughout the message.  I pointed out what the bible has to say about those who choose the homosexual lifestyle.  At the end of the message an older woman approached me and was very blunt in her remarks that I was wrong in my viewing of homosexuals!  She then told me her son was a homosexual and lived in Atlanta.  He had accepted Christ as his savior at a young age, but lived his life as a homosexual. 
I then told her that I was sorry if my remarks had offended her, BUT, her son was not a true Christian if he was continuing his lifestyle choice.  She just continue to say I was dead wrong and walked away.  Some time later she began to come and get gas at the gas station I owned, but didn't remember me.  She often would ask me to check her oil, which I did, but never brought anything up about that sermon.  I often wondered why God was allowing her to come back into my life, but never followed through in doing what I knew was right and talking with her about it.  "It was obvious to me this was no coincidence her being at me station."
After reading this book God put this woman back on my heart.  I called my pastor friend and got her name yesterday; Mrs. Weathersby.  I'm going to call her today and explain I was wrong in what I said to her.  I'm not going to go down the path of whether homosexuality is right or wrong, I'm not going to argue that you are born this way or you are not, I'm simply going to tell her I am sorry for hurting her through my words as a representative of God.   Letting her know God loves her son as much as he loves each of us.  Telling her not to give up on him or judge him as much of the world does.  I'm no judge of anyone.  All I can do is live my life God has given me and show others the love I have in him.  God is quite capable of taking care of things without me being his voice!  Real ministry is showing people who he is through us. 
I'm so thankful for such a powerful book.  I actually took the time to email the author and share with him how much it has helped me.  I received his reply this morning.....

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#2 : July 20, 2009, 08:44:52 AM

This is one of the best books I have ever read pertaining to religion.  Worth reading more than once.
BUT, you need to read "The Shack" before reading this one....

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 20, 2009, 09:22:07 AM

I'm knee deep in the book

"The Devil is Your Babysitter"

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 20, 2009, 11:14:39 AM

Check out the DVD "Religilous". Great documentary, along the same lines.

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

Trojan52

Hall of Famer

#5 : July 20, 2009, 12:49:49 PM

Check out the DVD "Religilous". Great documentary, along the same lines.
What a coincidence i watched that movie last night with my mom and couldn't hate that movie anymore. He just picks at the average joe and asks them why he believes what he does and pokes fun at their beliefs. Obviously they don't know as much about what their talking about as the experts he interviews after the "religious nuts" and asks them why this couldn't be possible.

The movie is very slanted and IMO he isn't "searching for answers" he is just knocking it down. Interviewing the obvious people using religion to enhance their image or take money from people will only make religion look stupid, which he did a good job of doing. Yeah the truckers will know everything their is to ask about Jesus Christ...

Screw you Bill Maher.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 20, 2009, 12:52:16 PM

I loved Religilous

12thbuc

Starter

#7 : July 20, 2009, 01:10:19 PM

This is one of the best books I have ever read pertaining to religion.  Worth reading more than once.
"The Shack" = a deep ditch covered with beautiful flowers, don't be deceived.

Xbox live: throesch
MSNM: naplesbuc@live.com

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#8 : July 20, 2009, 01:15:25 PM

I loved Religilous

Me too. Although I thought it was slow at times.

Shows how many people have no idea why they believe what they do.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#9 : July 20, 2009, 01:24:54 PM

If you're tired of just going through the motions of Christianity and want to mine the depths of what it really means to live deeply in Christ, you ll find Jake's story will give you hope for your own. This book probes the difficult questions and offers some far-reaching answers. It just might turn your world upside-down as well!

Thanks but no thanks.

How about a guy who went through a trying time in his life as he tried to find more meaning in life. He made the breakthrough by experimenting with hallucinogenic drugs. Those were his Jesus. Lots of different paths to get one going in a new/better direction.

Breaking Open the Head by Daniel Pinchbeck (Have it but haven't read it yet)

2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl by Daniel Pinchbeck (Currently reading it)

Lots of lectures by Pinchbeck on Youtube describing his experiences.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#10 : July 20, 2009, 03:50:54 PM

This is one of the best books I have ever read pertaining to religion. Worth reading more than once.
"The Shack" = a deep ditch covered with beautiful flowers, don't be deceived.

How so...."don't be decieved?"

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#11 : July 20, 2009, 07:58:45 PM

This generation - more than any other - takes the blessings of God's creation and provision...

...yet couldn't be any less appreciative...

or give any less acknowledgement...

Incomparable sig by Incognito

#12 : July 20, 2009, 09:01:32 PM

It's called "wising up."

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#13 : July 20, 2009, 09:14:49 PM

It's funny - the church has done study on this. In time of crisis and chaos, church attendance increases. In time of abundance and prosperity, church attendance drops.

The more people have the less they think they need God.

The cycle of life makes believers out of most men - some run out of time before they make up their minds...

But hey, it's a free choice - nothing ventured, nothing lost - right?

Incomparable sig by Incognito

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#14 : July 20, 2009, 10:03:38 PM

It's funny - the church has done study on this. In time of crisis and chaos, church attendance increases. In time of abundance and prosperity, church attendance drops.

The more people have the less they think they need God.

And then you have those like myself who stopped going to church a long time ago and don't go back, even when things are really tough. Some people need a church or something else to get them through tough times. Nothing wrong with that.

I've heard some good messages at churches (usually the metaphysical one I used to go but also at Christian churches) I've attended and the fellowship aspect is a great thing. I've said that before. The problem with so many churches is they add on all the other stuff (which we've debated way too much on here) and that keeps a ton of people away.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 24
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "So You Don't Go To Church Anymore" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools