Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "So You Don't Go To Church Anymore" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 24

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#30 : July 20, 2009, 11:49:53 PM

Now WHY would you want to go and start yet another religious thread GuRu, do you just do it for laughs or for more torture because they usually all end badly and not in your favor?  [banghead]

12thbuc

Starter

#31 : July 21, 2009, 12:16:05 AM

This is one of the best books I have ever read pertaining to religion. Worth reading more than once.
BUT, you need to read "The Shack" before reading this one....
"The Shack" = a deep ditch covered with beautiful flowers, don't be deceived.

How so...."don't be decieved?"

http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/08/shack.htm

BucsGuru i recommend this video

And...William P Young the author of "The Shack" denied penal substitution, the belief that Christ bore our wrath on the cross, because he thinks it is unloving.

Xbox live: throesch
MSNM: naplesbuc@live.com

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#32 : July 21, 2009, 02:00:43 PM

Thanks BBB; I didn't think about that.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#33 : July 22, 2009, 12:45:47 AM

I appreciate that BG - I understand that on a very personal level.

While I don't condone the "lifestyle" you're right, it's my savior's love I want people to regard and to know.

I am a miserable example of Christs love, and I am thankful for what you have shared.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#34 : July 22, 2009, 02:11:41 AM

Do people start these religious threads just to get a rise out of people and attack them or is there really some purpose or meaning to them?

Booker beat me to the punch but have ever read any of Pastor Guru's posts?

I stopped way back when he thought he knew something about football...

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#35 : July 22, 2009, 06:09:40 AM

you're killing Boid...

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#36 : July 22, 2009, 09:22:16 AM

Check out the DVD "Religilous". Great documentary, along the same lines.
What a coincidence i watched that movie last night with my mom and couldn't hate that movie anymore. He just picks at the average joe and asks them why he believes what he does and pokes fun at their beliefs. Obviously they don't know as much about what their talking about as the experts he interviews after the "religious nuts" and asks them why this couldn't be possible.

The movie is very slanted and IMO he isn't "searching for answers" he is just knocking it down. Interviewing the obvious people using religion to enhance their image or take money from people will only make religion look stupid, which he did a good job of doing. Yeah the truckers will know everything their is to ask about Jesus Christ...

Screw you Bill Maher.

It's SUPPOSED TO BE SLANTED, genius.  And the point is, all these people identify themselves as "christian" yet don't know anything about the religion.  Does that strike you as insane?

Oh, and, I'm no bible expert or anything, but I'm pretty sure Jesus would frown on the phrase "screw you".  Thanks for helping drive home Maher's point.  Only the rubes follow that garbage religion.

bucsense

Practice Squad

#37 : July 22, 2009, 09:30:37 AM

Is this the Faith And Religious Forum?

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#38 : July 22, 2009, 09:37:54 AM

This generation - more than any other - takes the blessings of God's creation and provision...

...yet couldn't be any less appreciative...

or give any less acknowledgement...

Just as Greeks no longer believe that Apollo drives his flaming chariot across the sky daily to give us sun.    ..We're TRYING to become a more intelligent society, free from the hocus pocus superstitions of early man.  Religion is simply nothing more than man's feeble attempt to control factors that he doesn't understand/cannot control.  Before irrigation, people actually held exotic rituals to bring rain.  Before meterology, people thought that storms were angry gods punishing them.  Before the moon landing, people thought the silver sphere in the sky was some kind of god/goddess.  As science and progress moves ahead, superstition becomes exposed as the fraud that it is.  That includes tales about virgin mothers giving birth to messiah man gods sent to save humanity from cloven hoofed, fire dwelling man-beasts.  

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#39 : July 22, 2009, 09:49:58 AM

Oh, and, I'm no bible expert or anything

You don't have to tell anyone that reads your posts that...

bucsense

Practice Squad

#40 : July 22, 2009, 10:08:13 AM

LOL.....

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#41 : July 22, 2009, 10:23:26 AM

And there you have it.  Typical response from someone that can't argue with the point.  Resort to insults.  Your god is a lie.  And you cannot prove otherwise.  Thanks for playing.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#42 : July 22, 2009, 10:32:36 AM

Let me say that I started this thread to share with those interested a book I found to be very interesting and perhaps, life changing.

12thbuc, good posts, but The Shack was a great book for me; I'm sure it will not be the same for others....

"So you don't go to church anymore" is a powerful book that challenges the modern church.  For me, it confirms what I have said so many times; we take something intended to be wonderful and make a mess of it!  Regardless of the setting, "church" has become an institution not what Paul describes as the true body.  Each of us who are believers are the body, regardless of where we are on the journey.  How will I ever achieve relationship that has meaning with others if what I say doesn't convey true love to them? 
Until we drop everything we have been taught about what church is supposed to be, only then will we allow those around us to share a glimpse of the love God has to offer. 
I preached a sermon 2-3 years ago at a friends church and referenced homosexuality throughout the message.  I pointed out what the bible has to say about those who choose the homosexual lifestyle.  At the end of the message an older woman approached me and was very blunt in her remarks that I was wrong in my viewing of homosexuals!  She then told me her son was a homosexual and lived in Atlanta.  He had accepted Christ as his savior at a young age, but lived his life as a homosexual. 
I then told her that I was sorry if my remarks had offended her, BUT, her son was not a true Christian if he was continuing his lifestyle choice.  She just continue to say I was dead wrong and walked away.  Some time later she began to come and get gas at the gas station I owned, but didn't remember me.  She often would ask me to check her oil, which I did, but never brought anything up about that sermon.  I often wondered why God was allowing her to come back into my life, but never followed through in doing what I knew was right and talking with her about it.  "It was obvious to me this was no coincidence her being at me station."
After reading this book God put this woman back on my heart.  I called my pastor friend and got her name yesterday; Mrs. Weathersby.  I'm going to call her today and explain I was wrong in what I said to her.  I'm not going to go down the path of whether homosexuality is right or wrong, I'm not going to argue that you are born this way or you are not, I'm simply going to tell her I am sorry for hurting her through my words as a representative of God.   Letting her know God loves her son as much as he loves each of us.  Telling her not to give up on him or judge him as much of the world does.  I'm no judge of anyone.  All I can do is live my life God has given me and show others the love I have in him.  God is quite capable of taking care of things without me being his voice!  Real ministry is showing people who he is through us. 
I'm so thankful for such a powerful book.  I actually took the time to email the author and share with him how much it has helped me.  I received his reply this morning.....

You should totally see the fabulous Bruno interview the gay converter in his new movie. Its the best.

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#43 : July 22, 2009, 10:45:50 AM

You should totally see the fabulous Bruno interview the gay converter in his new movie. Its the best.

Here's one from the show...

Classic...

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#44 : July 22, 2009, 10:47:09 AM

Here's one from the show...

Classic...

The one in the movie is better. The guy on a jesus ramble for like 5 minutes and when he's done Bruno goes "sorry I didnt hear what you were saying, you looked so hot while you were telling me that". LOL!

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 24
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "So You Don't Go To Church Anymore" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools