Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What to do with our 2010 First Rounder? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7

duanet75

Pro Bowler
« #90 : July 28, 2009, 01:12:02 PM »

It's true there's been a little shift where the Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, Willie Roaf, Jonathan Ogden, Tra Thomas type elite LT's are fading away and teams are being very successful with tier 2, or even tier 3, LT's, but that doesn't necessarily mean you pass on a player of that caliber just because you have a bigger need at a different position. While right now 2010 looks phenomenal for defensive linemen, you never know if Greg Hardy and Carlos Dunlap will be the next Gaines Adams and Jamaal Anderson and Ndamukong Suh the next Amobi Okoye, while Okung or Bulaga is the next Joe Thomas. The Bucs are loaded with average and above average players, they really need a few dominators whatever the position.
We need dominators on the defensive line. We already invested enough money on the Oline, we can't spend another year just ignoring the defensive in the first round. And you never know Okung could be Brickashaw Ferguson or Bulaga the next Robert Gallery at LT. Just saying it works both ways.

BPA at DE or DT should be the plan.Forget elite LT's they don't win rings.

But dominating DT's from the U do help win rings. Just recently reported JR DT Allen Bailey set Miami school record for power cleaning over 400lbs. Kid is a freak of natue and still growing. If you need stats just look what happened to Miami's run defense last year when he was lost for the season with a shoulder injury.  Florida and Virginia Teech couldnt move him last year.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #91 : July 28, 2009, 01:16:22 PM »

BPA at DE or DT should be the plan. Forget elite LT's they don't win rings.

I'm with you the DE or DT should be the pick next year, but that next part about elite LT's is ludicrous.  I would be for picking an LT next season, but I don't believe one will be worth it early in round one.

duanet75

Pro Bowler
« #92 : July 28, 2009, 01:23:43 PM »

I'm with you the DE or DT should be the pick next year, but that next part about elite LT's is ludicrous.  I would be for picking an LT next season, but I don't believe one will be worth it early in round one.

We should see how Xavier Fulton grows in his rookie year before we consider taking a LT early next year. I agree with most posters saying DL and talented WR's to help Freeman grow into our QB of the future.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #93 : July 28, 2009, 01:27:30 PM »

I don't fathom why we need an "elite LT" when the pressing needs are at the defensive line. It's by far the most neglected position this decade and it's the reason why we never put up consistency. I just hope to god, we don't take a LT high. Listen, I love Brian Buluga but I'd be upset if we take him even if he's the next Joe Thomas. He's good and all, but why get him when we can get Suh ---projected to be a Kevin Williams type if not better? Or heck, Dunlap a bigger Mario Williams? Right now, I'd rather have Kevin Williams/Mario Williams over Joe Thomas.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #94 : July 28, 2009, 01:32:10 PM »

We need dominators on the defensive line. We already invested enough money on the Oline, we can't spend another year just ignoring the defensive in the first round. And you never know Okung could be Brickashaw Ferguson or Bulaga the next Robert Gallery at LT. Just saying it works both ways.

I don't disagree, and would love it if Greg Hardy is the next Michael Strahan, I'm just saying sometimes there aren't dominators available. You have to be open. Who was the dominant defensive lineman from the class of 2007? There weren't any we know of yet.

As for elite LT's not winning rings, it's slightly disingenuous as dominators like Ogden and Pace have rings with Jones playing for one and near-dominators like Tarik Glenn with one with others like Tra Thomas, Bob Whitfield, Lomas Brown, and Brad Hopkins playing for one.
True. If by god, Hardy and the rest of the pack disappoint this year then I guess my view on LT would change. But I doubt it, the class is too deep on the d-line.

Dline is the #1 need. I don't want to take a bust and we end up reaching for a Jamaal Anderson. If that's the case, we'd fallback on the #2 need which is hopefully not LT. Since we're picking top 10 in this situation, it seem like it would be. Which is a bummer.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #95 : July 28, 2009, 01:37:47 PM »

It's true there's been a little shift where the Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, Willie Roaf, Jonathan Ogden, Tra Thomas type elite LT's are fading away and teams are being very successful with tier 2, or even tier 3, LT's, but that doesn't necessarily mean you pass on a player of that caliber just because you have a bigger need at a different position. While right now 2010 looks phenomenal for defensive linemen, you never know if Greg Hardy and Carlos Dunlap will be the next Gaines Adams and Jamaal Anderson and Ndamukong Suh the next Amobi Okoye, while Okung or Bulaga is the next Joe Thomas. The Bucs are loaded with average and above average players, they really need a few dominators whatever the position.

But dominating DT's from the U do help win rings. Just recently reported JR DT Allen Bailey set Miami school record for power cleaning over 400lbs. Kid is a freak of natue and still growing. If you need stats just look what happened to Miami's run defense last year when he was lost for the season with a shoulder injury.  Florida and Virginia Teech couldnt move him last year.
That's nice, and I know he's a prospect to look out for. Vince Wilfork is a FA next year. :D

I do like Aldarious Johnson too.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« #96 : July 28, 2009, 01:40:01 PM »

I've been thinking about this.   Maybe they can trade next year's first round pick to get a new head coach.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #97 : July 28, 2009, 01:41:09 PM »

I don't fathom why we need an "elite LT" when the pressing needs are at the defensive line.

First off, I'll start with the caveat that the draft is 9 months away and a whole lot could change, but our "serviceable" LT held out of OTAs and missed the install of the new ZBS, so from a contract standpoint he is not reliable (but he could play well and get a new contract, then all of this is moot).

So it's more that we "might" need an elite LT. We do and will need another DE and DT. So it still comes down to who's available.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #98 : July 28, 2009, 01:46:34 PM »

I don't fathom why we need an "elite LT" when the pressing needs are at the defensive line.

First off, I'll start with the caveat that the draft is 9 months away and a whole lot could change, but our "serviceable" LT held out of OTAs and missed the install of the new ZBS, so from a contract standpoint he is not reliable (but he could play well and get a new contract, then all of this is moot).

So it's more that we "might" need an elite LT. We do and will need another DE and DT. So it still comes down to who's available.
Oh I see what you mean now.

duanet75

Pro Bowler
« #99 : July 28, 2009, 01:51:02 PM »

But dominating DT's from the U do help win rings. Just recently reported JR DT Allen Bailey set Miami school record for power cleaning over 400lbs. Kid is a freak of natue and still growing. If you need stats just look what happened to Miami's run defense last year when he was lost for the season with a shoulder injury. �Florida and Virginia Teech couldnt move him last year.
That's nice, and I know he's a prospect to look out for. Vince Wilfork is a FA next year. :D

I do like Aldarious Johnson too.

Wait till you get a glimpse of Tommy Streeter running a fly pattern being 6-6 with his long legs and 4.4 speed. Like AJ, Jacory, and Spence another player we got from that great Northwestern H.S. team.

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

« #100 : July 28, 2009, 02:06:50 PM »

Lets get another big 12 monster for our d-line. Gerald Mccoy.
  Page: 1 ... 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What to do with our 2010 First Rounder? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools