Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: LT---generous guy « previous next »
Page: 1 2

karen anderson

Practice Squad

: February 10, 2007, 02:46:43 AM

In appreciation to his offensive line for helping him get 32 TDs & 1,815 yds. LaDainian Tomlinson gave each of his offensive linemen 2 round trip 1st class tickets to anywhere in the world! Wow!! Wonder what the tab was for that?

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#1 : February 10, 2007, 06:08:34 AM

I always like those stories.

Sapp and Brad Johnson did similar things.

Sapp bought the entire defensive starters and key contributors to the defense platinum and diamond bracelets shaped in a link chain to let them all know that they were all links in a chain and tied to each other for a great season and no one could of done it without the other in 2002. The bracelets were valued between 6-10K.

Brad bought the entire offense and coaches all LCD TV's- he purchased 50 of them for Xmas that year in 02.

Sapp shocks mates with gift
[SOUTH PINELLAS Edition]

St. Petersburg Times - St. Petersburg, Fla. 
Author: ROGER MILLS
Date: May 1, 2003
Start Page: 6.C
Section: SPORTS
Text Word Count: 818

Document Text

Copyright Times Publishing Co. May 1, 2003
They kept missing each other, but Pro Bowl linebacker Derrick Brooks felt whatever teammate Warren Sapp had for him had to be important.

Finally, Sapp got Brooks on the phone and told him to check with team trainer Todd Toriscelli when he got to One Buc Place the next day.

Waiting for him was a diamond-studded platinum bracelet valued between $6,000 and $10,000.

"We kept missing each other and being out of town," Brooks said. "Finally, he left it with the trainer in the safe and said, 'When you go in tomorrow make sure you see Todd before you leave.'

"It was a shock to me. To be honest, it let me know how special this year was for him and for us. For us to cultivate our dream and get to the mountaintop, it was a small way that he wanted to show his appreciation for the defense and what we were able to do as a team."

But Sapp wasn't done there. The six-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle, entering his ninth season and the final year of his contract, gave bracelets to each starter and a number of other major contributors on the defense. The exact number is not known.

"First of all, when I first looked at it I realized that it costs a lot of money and you could tell it was something he put a lot of thought and feeling into," Pro Bowl linebacker Shelton Quarles said. "I appreciate the gesture. You know, I'm not a person who wears a lot of jewelry, but I may have to make an exception for that one. It means something."

Quarles said Sapp "didn't make a big deal" about the bracelets.

"(Anthony McFarland) and I were in the locker room and he said, 'I've got something for you.' We walked over and he tossed me the bracelet. I was stunned."

Cornerback Brian Kelly said the bracelet's value has less to do with the diamonds and more to do with the memories.

"It speaks volumes about the type of teammate Warren is," Kelly said. "Obviously, it was an extremely generous act and one that I will always remember. At least it's something we can wear to prove that we won the Super Bowl considering that we don't know what's going on with the rings."

Sapp, 30, said he didn't do it to impress anyone. In fact, he didn't want knowledge of the bracelets to become public.

"(A picture) of the best defense I had before this one (1999) sits on my mantle in my living room," Sapp said. "I couldn't get this group together for a picture, so I came up with the best thing that I could come up with, a gift from my heart."

Sapp said the choice of a bracelet with links like a bike chain was symbolic.

"The best thing that I could come up with was this bracelet because from the first link to the last link, this is our team," Sapp said. "And the defense is only as strong as the other link and each link on it makes it complete."

Sapp's future with the franchise may be uncertain, but Brooks said his legacy will be permanently etched in precious stones.

"I'll remember him, No. 1," Brooks said. "Then I'll remember the past season and all the things we went through. He wanted to give us a small token to remember the season by, besides the ring.

"I don't know why he picked a bracelet, but I do know this, there's only so many of those given out. There may be 100 Super Bowl rings given out and everyone can get one. But this is something he bought and no one else is probably going to be able to get made. It comes from his heart. He took time out to do this for us and that's why I will wear it proudly when I do wear it."

Sapp's gift was the second act of generosity by a team leader in the past five months. Quarterback Brad Johnson purchased about 50 flat-panel, 13-inch, LCD high-definition color televisions for the offensive players and coaching staff as Christmas gifts.

"Brad bought the offense flat screens so it was our turn," Quarles said.

JAPAN BOUND: Quarles and Jets defensive lineman John Abraham, along with team representatives, are part of the second advance team to visit Japan before the preseason game between the Bucs and Jets in early August. They leave Monday.

Quarles said it's an honor to be asked to represent the team but he has some trepidations about the trip.

"I'm a little apprehensive about it," he said. "I don't know how far it is or how long it'll take to get there. Actually, I don't even want to dwell on that. The thing is, I was already signed up for (Brooks') golf tournament. I guess I'm going to have to miss it."

redtab78

Pro Bowler
#2 : February 10, 2007, 01:30:32 PM

I wish I was rich enough to do that..............

geeze, I have never even been to a live football game....

Anyone who thinks Tim Tebow will be a great NFL QB is an idiot.

vipmark

Starter
#3 : February 10, 2007, 01:37:11 PM

At SB37 Sapp paid for a night on the town, including limos, for the Bucs FO people. A "relatively" small bill but a nice gesture.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#4 : February 10, 2007, 01:45:35 PM

In appreciation to his offensive line for helping him get 32 TDs & 1,815 yds. LaDainian Tomlinson gave each of his offensive linemen 2 round trip 1st class tickets to anywhere in the world! Wow!! Wonder what the tab was for that?

It's probably as big a dent in his checking account as you and your significant other treating another couple to dinner at the Outback.  I'd rather see these guys giving that money to a worthy charity than to other millionaires.

#5 : February 10, 2007, 02:43:29 PM

It's probably as big a dent in his checking account as you and your significant other treating another couple to dinner at the Outback. I'd rather see these guys giving that money to a worthy charity than to other millionaires.

Its the thought, not the amount!!!

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#6 : February 10, 2007, 02:45:16 PM

David Carr did the same thing but they were one way.

T

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 10, 2007, 03:04:33 PM

Easy to be generous when your rich. LT is a classy guy,much classier than the other LT.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#8 : February 10, 2007, 03:54:54 PM

David Carr did the same thing but they were one way.
Hahahaha.....nice.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#9 : February 10, 2007, 04:17:23 PM

Yeah that is tight, but he has the money to do it, im sure he is making bank

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#10 : February 10, 2007, 04:45:31 PM

At SB37 Sapp paid for a night on the town, including limos, for the Bucs FO people. A "relatively" small bill but a nice gesture.
...and McKay said thank you by giving a lesser DT all Sapp's money.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#11 : February 10, 2007, 04:50:12 PM

It's probably as big a dent in his checking account as you and your significant other treating another couple to dinner at the Outback. I'd rather see these guys giving that money to a worthy charity than to other millionaires.

I believe some of these players do donate to charities but this is more about the nice gesture LT and Sapp and BJ did towards their teammates.

Also I think Tiki did something similar for his line when he got the rushing title last year didn't he?

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#12 : February 10, 2007, 06:08:45 PM

Emmitt Smith used to hook his OL up all the time with watches and other stuff.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#13 : February 10, 2007, 08:37:37 PM

And some people think Sapp was an ass.  He was sooo a team guy!

#14 : February 10, 2007, 08:38:10 PM

Team Mons Venus.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: LT---generous guy « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools