Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A debate about racial equality (or a lack thereof) « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 19

Incognito

Hall of Famer

#15 : August 02, 2009, 02:59:40 PM

Google Mr Anthony Johnson of Northampton, Virginia.

HE was the first person in the US to own slaves. Incidentally he was BLACK.

Unless he owned himself, that's pretty much a lie ...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part1/1p265.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_was_the_first_slave_owner_in_the_US

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#16 : August 02, 2009, 02:56:32 PM

I wouldn't argue with calling it ethnicity, but what the fundamental difference between "race" and "ethnicity?"

Problem something to do with physical attributes ...

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#17 : August 02, 2009, 02:54:43 PM

Unless he owned himself, that's pretty much a lie ...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part1/1p265.html

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#18 : August 02, 2009, 02:52:05 PM

I wouldn't argue with calling it ethnicity, but what the fundamental difference between "race" and "ethnicity?"

One is a sub-group of the other, like cat and mammal.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#19 : August 02, 2009, 02:44:40 PM

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#20 : August 02, 2009, 02:29:43 PM

How do you define "race?"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/race

race - noun
1.    a group of persons related by common descent or heredity. This would only partially apply. Anyone can become "Jewish"; a quick snip, some vows, a ceremony and bang, you're in.
2.    a population so related. ^^^
3.    Anthropology.   This would define Semites as a race, but that would included Arabs and Lebanese and others
a.    any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the Caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics: no longer in technical use. Here Jewish=not a race, part of Caucasian
b.    an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, esp. formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups. Met quite a few blond Jews, light skinned and darker skinned Jews, etc. and most have intermixed heavily with other Europeans so any genetic markers are diluted at best.
c.    a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans. They have never been isolated. Now aboriginal Australians are definitely a different race than Africans or Asians.
4.    a group of tribes or peoples forming an ethnic stock: the Slavic race.This one applies partially, like #1
5.    any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, and so does this one

I'd have to go with BucsBullsBolts, an Ethnicity is a more accurate description.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#21 : August 02, 2009, 02:20:25 PM

Actually in the 80s the Supreme Court ruled Jewish as a race,  However wrong it may be.

You can choose to be Jewish or not be Jewish,It's a religion.

I just go by what the US govenment considers a race .... Way too much ambiguity when you start trying to decipher the definitions.

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#22 : August 02, 2009, 01:18:30 PM

What happened back in the slave days was deplorable & disgusting and I am totally ashamed and embarrassed if any of my anscestors were involved in such a hideous activity, and the only thing I can do on my part is to make sure that everyone around me is treated and looked at as EQUALS for the whole time I walk this earth. But there are many of color who do try and use what happened as a crutch and an excuse to act the fool and treat others like crap, and all I can say to them is - GET OVER IT because that was a looooong time ago and most of us have evolved past that. And electing a black president should forever shine as a symbol that most of america has gotten past it because several million of Obama's votes came from white people (myself included).

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#23 : August 02, 2009, 01:06:10 PM

The whole concept that white people should feel guilty about slavery enthralls me.  It's this fake guilt that has allowed the situation to devolve into the state it's in today.

Educate yourself on the fact that 3, 775 BLACK people owned 12, 740 black slaves.
-or-
that free blacks were known to sell THEIR CHILDREN into slavery.

Then come back and tell me why, now that there are black folks in every position available including PRESIDENT, I'm supposed to feel guilty.
This notion that racial epithets are ok when used by any race other than white is ridiculous.
While whites are going around continually apologizing for the plight of the black man (again, because of lack of education) we have idiots like Kamal Camden preaching that the extermination of white people is the solution to the black problem.

This whole notion that it's ok to use racial slurs because you have been repressed is ignorant.
Any race that truly wants "equality" would police itself on using the type of behavior that prevented that equality in the first place.

whoa....

don't be using logic in this thread, you must be a racist...

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#24 : August 02, 2009, 12:36:45 PM

So your evidence is your own interpretation of a dictionary term.

Yes.  Jewish people, by the very definition, is considered a race.

I'm sorry, my evidence is called an education.

You might not want to tell that to too many people.

http://www.jewfaq.org/judaism.htm

Is that blog where you got your edu-ma-cation?

Just because you interpret something to a certain meaning doesn't make it correct.

But because you interpret something to a different meaning, even though it defies the very definition of the word, it does make it correct?  That must be nice.

Dolfan

Practice Squad

#25 : August 02, 2009, 12:34:55 PM

The whole concept that white people should feel guilty about slavery enthralls me.  It's this fake guilt that has allowed the situation to devolve into the state it's in today.

Educate yourself on the fact that 3, 775 BLACK people owned 12, 740 black slaves.
-or-
that free blacks were known to sell THEIR CHILDREN into slavery.

Then come back and tell me why, now that there are black folks in every position available including PRESIDENT, I'm supposed to feel guilty.
This notion that racial epithets are ok when used by any race other than white is ridiculous.
While whites are going around continually apologizing for the plight of the black man (again, because of lack of education) we have idiots like Kamal Camden preaching that the extermination of white people is the solution to the black problem.

This whole notion that it's ok to use racial slurs because you have been repressed is ignorant.
Any race that truly wants "equality" would police itself on using the type of behavior that prevented that equality in the first place.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#26 : August 02, 2009, 12:13:59 PM

So your evidence is your own interpretation of a dictionary term.

I'm sorry, my evidence is called an education. But since youre gonna be a pain in the ass and make me prove my own point.

http://www.jewfaq.org/judaism.htm

But setting aside the emotional issues, Jews are clearly not a race.

Just because you interpret something to a certain meaning doesn't make it correct.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#27 : August 02, 2009, 12:05:15 PM

It's flat out NOT a race.

Jewish people that consider it a race are RATARDS.

How do you define "race?"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/race

race - noun
1.    a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.
2.    a population so related.
3.    Anthropology.
a.    any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the Caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics: no longer in technical use.
b.    an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, esp. formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups.
c.    a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans.
4.    a group of tribes or peoples forming an ethnic stock: the Slavic race.
5.    any people united by common history, language, cultural traits,

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#28 : August 02, 2009, 11:55:49 AM

It's flat out NOT a race.

Jewish people that consider it a race are RATARDS.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#29 : August 02, 2009, 11:42:48 AM

being descended from Germanic tribes I guess I should hate Italians then. Afterall the Roman Empire waged war with my people and conquered them. Imposed their govt. and religion on us, etc.

good point, will fall on deaf ears, but a good point none-the-less...

It will definitely fall on deaf ears considering this is a discussion about race and neither German nor Italian is one ...  ::)

So using that logic, I guess you don't consider Jews to be a race either.   I guess they are the same as the Germans according to you.

Now that I think about it, no, Jewish is not a race. It would be more an ethnicity ....

That sure didn't stop Hitler from killing millions of them out of prejudicial hate.

Um, no it didn't ..... What's your point?     
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 19
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A debate about racial equality (or a lack thereof) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools