Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Sign Freeman: Five-Year, 26 Million Dollar Deal « previous next »
Page: 1 2

bucs1

Practice Squad
#15 : July 31, 2009, 01:16:53 AM

Would anyone else rather keep Josh Johnson and cut Leftwich? Or am I the only one?

That is exactly what I want to happen. Josh Johnson has way more upside than Byron Leftwich and so much time and effort has already been invested in trying to develop him.

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#16 : July 31, 2009, 01:36:20 AM

Awesome job to Dominik and co. Now it's time to let the kid spread his wings and fly. Here's to an excellent training camp, and one hell of an exciting football season!

Larry Brackins

Starter
#17 : July 31, 2009, 01:36:32 AM

Would anyone else rather keep Josh Johnson and cut Leftwich?
Uh, ya think?

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#18 : July 31, 2009, 01:38:32 AM

Nice. He's work ethic is pretty good from reports I've read his been lobbying work outs with our current WR core before TC started. He really wants to play.

CAROLINABUC

Starter

#19 : July 31, 2009, 01:42:33 AM

Clearwater don't worry that's whats going to happen. Can you imagine next year Freeman starting Luke backing him up and Lefty being third. It's not going to happen. If Lefty don't start he is going to get cut because we are not going to have a 26 million dollar 3rd stringer. Safer to keep Johnson

Losing is not a option

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#20 : July 31, 2009, 02:08:06 AM

Clearwater don't worry that's whats going to happen. Can you imagine next year Freeman starting Luke backing him up and Lefty being third. It's not going to happen. If Lefty don't start he is going to get cut because we are not going to have a 26 million dollar 3rd stringer. Safer to keep Johnson
You mean 15m? He's getting 7.5 a year on 2 yr contract

Clearwater Buc

Rookie

#21 : July 31, 2009, 02:27:18 AM

I was never too thrilled about the Leftwich signing to begin with. He had a decent career with JAX, flopped in Atlanta, and only caught people's eyes as a backup in Pittsburgh. I think we over-paid for him. Everybody knows about Byron's slow, pitchers-windup type delivery and his slow feet. Even QB coach Olson said in evaluation of Leftwich, "... he's an awful athlete... He's sluggish. That's why I call him the slug."

I've liked Johnson from the moment they drafted him. His college numbers (specifically his TD/INT ratio) are jaw dropping: 108 TD; 15 INT... not to mention 42 TD, 1 INT his senior year. Granted, he played in D-I AA in the Pioneer Football League, you can't dismiss that according to those stats that Johnson makes good decisions with his passes. I mean c'mon, 42 TD's and 1 INT?

If Josh Freeman pans out to be the future stud he's suppose to be, we know we've got a worthy backup in McCown if need be. And if Johnson turns heads in pre-season or gets reps during the regular season, he could be good trade bait. He's a little wirey and thin, but I think he would really excel in a Wild Cat type offense as a an earlier topic suggested.

I dunno, I just think that signing Leftwich wasn't the best of signings. I know camp hasn't started just quite yet. And I realize that we need a QB in here with experience. I may end up eating my own words by the time camps ends and if Leftwich is handed the reigns to start, and actually has a good season. I hope so. But personally, I'd much rather see Johnson try his hand and see how he fares.   

ilovebeer

Starter

#22 : July 31, 2009, 03:06:37 AM

Now get to work on Ruud

3drdre

Starter

#23 : July 31, 2009, 06:39:12 AM

Josh Johnson has extremely weak arm strength and average size...at least Leftwich has experience.

rocko23

Hall of Famer
#24 : July 31, 2009, 07:15:13 AM

I have a funny feeling he is going to beat out Luke and Lefty. And Lefty is going to get cut.  
i agree, now lets roll, time to get it on

DailyRich68

Starter
#25 : July 31, 2009, 07:28:41 AM

A newer link at ESPN says it's a five-year $36 million deal, with around $10.5 million in guaranteed money.

zepkin

Second String

#26 : July 31, 2009, 07:38:50 AM

Would anyone else rather keep Josh Johnson and cut Leftwich? Or am I the only one?

I agree.  Leftwich will get cut.  No need to pay him all that money when we have two that can most likely get it done.  I still like JJ a lot, can't wait to see him play in preseason.

Get off the Poopdeck!

OKC PAC

Hall of Famer

#27 : July 31, 2009, 08:07:45 AM

Great job 'rah and co for drafting this kid and getting him signed....now lets hope he wins the starting gig this year.

Bring back GRUDEN!!!
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Sign Freeman: Five-Year, 26 Million Dollar Deal « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools