Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lions' RB Jones to miss half of 2007? « previous next »
Page: 1

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

: February 10, 2007, 06:36:47 PM

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9988518
OAHU, Hawaii (Feb. 10, 2007) -- It has gotten so maddening and frustrating in Detroit that, even in the offseason, the Lions now suffer losses.

Lions sources said they now expect to lose running back Kevin Jones for at least half the 2007 season due to the Lisfranc injury he suffered in December that required surgery on his left foot three days later.

Up until now, there had been questions surrounding when Jones might be able to return. Now the Lions are hoping Jones will be able to return six to eight weeks into the 2007 season, which means that Detroit must revise its offseason priorities.

A running back now moves near the top of the list of Detroit's needs. The Lions will explore the free-agent market and take a look at San Diego's restricted free-agent running back Michael Turner and Arizona's unrestricted free-agent running back Marcel Shipp.

The Lions, scheduled to pick second in the April NFL draft, also like Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson, and will debate picking him there. But Detroit does have concerns about Peterson's durability and injury history, which could cause them to lean towards taking Wisconsin offensive tackle Joe Thomas.

But the bottom line is this: As if the Lions didn't already have enough needs, now they have one more. They need to find a running back this offseason in the event that Jones won't be ready until midway through the '07 season, as the team now expects.

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#1 : February 10, 2007, 06:38:39 PM

That could definitely work in the Bucs favor as far as Joe Thomas.

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#2 : February 10, 2007, 06:39:48 PM

I still think Detroit needs to go OL round 1.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#3 : February 10, 2007, 06:41:22 PM

So where does Jeff Backus fit into all these "draft Joe Thomas" scenarios?

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#4 : February 10, 2007, 06:53:51 PM

Don't you need 2 OT's?

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 10, 2007, 06:56:07 PM

Don't you need 2 OT's?
Backus reportedly won't play RT.... And Thomas isa franchise LT...

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#6 : February 10, 2007, 06:59:05 PM

Don't you need 2 OT's?
Backus reportedly won't play RT.... And Thomas isa franchise LT...

"Reportedly."  LOL.

Gee, what a tough dilemna to have, 2 franchise Tackles.

There are about 40 million reasons why one of then won't mind moving.....

You don't pass up a guy like Thomas when your OL is as pathetic as Detroit's is IMO.  But then again when has Millen ever really been smart?

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#7 : February 10, 2007, 07:14:32 PM

I hope that they do take Peterson...cause then if we win the toss...Thomas is ours!

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#8 : February 10, 2007, 07:25:41 PM

I hope that they do take Peterson...cause then if we win the toss...Thomas is ours!
I'm still not counting out Oakland. Brooks was sacked what.....9 times week 1 and 7 times week 2?????????

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 10, 2007, 07:50:52 PM

It's not like Backus is a Pro Bowl caliber LT.   He's serviceable at best.   I could see him being moved to RT or even G.  Detroit's OL is not very good.  They could use Thomas.

nick77777

Pro Bowler

#10 : February 10, 2007, 07:55:14 PM

Looks like Ad Peterson will be there pick then in my oppionion so that could defenitly work out for the bucs in either the calvin or Thomas pool.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#11 : February 10, 2007, 08:14:14 PM

It's not like Backus is a Pro Bowl caliber LT.   He's serviceable at best.   I could see him being moved to RT or even G.  Detroit's OL is not very good.  They could use Thomas.
Yah, serviceable.....that's why they franchised him?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 10, 2007, 08:20:56 PM

That ought to tell you how important the LT position is to a team because Backus isn't even 2nd tier.

#13 : February 10, 2007, 08:35:05 PM

Martz drafted Barron or whatever his name is when he had Pace.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#14 : February 10, 2007, 08:38:24 PM

Fact of the matter is you just can't pass up guys of his caliber when you have a poor OL.  Hell, it's hard to pass up franchise OT's in general. 

Unless there is some other can't miss superstar at another positon of great need (which i don't think there is for them) I don't see how you pass up a chance at a franchise OT.

But again, Millen is the perfect guy to screw it up.

So same goes for us.  With our OL, if this guy is there we HAVE to take him IMO.  You can find a star WR in FA or even in the draft more easily than a franchise LT.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lions' RB Jones to miss half of 2007? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools