Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Early Observations « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : August 01, 2009, 01:59:21 PM »

Early observations on the Bucs

August 1, 2009 12:20 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas

TAMPA, Fla. -- Some quick observations from the Buccaneers' first camp practice before I head off to Carolina.

•Raheem Morris has been talking about having a tough, aggressive team ever since he was hired. He continued that trend by having his team open up in full pads. The one big hit from the morning session was Stylez White putting a big hit on Clifton Smith.

•Read into it what you want because it's only the first day of camp. But Luke McCown worked with the first team and Byron Leftwich with the second team. Rookie Josh Freeman shared the rest of the snaps with Josh Johnson.

•Cornerback Ronde Barber ran a route as a receiver in individual drills early in practice. Don't read too much into that. It looked like Barber was just having some fun.

•Cadillac Williams was out on the field and appeared to be going full tilt. He and Earnest Graham were part of a group of running backs doing a drill where they had to run with a bungee cord attached early in practice. Graham broke the cord and put an end to the drill.

•There are some fans out there that think the team's ownership is focused on other interests, particularly the Manchester United soccer team. But the three Glazer brothers that run the team were all out on the field, sweating their way through practice.

•Looked a little weird to see a No. 28 jersey with "Ward'' on the back. That's the number Warrick Dunn wore through his two stints with the Bucs. It now belongs to Derrick Ward.

•Saw a nice one-handed catch by Michael Clayton, who appears targeted to be the No. 2 receiver. The bigger question is who will be the third receiver? Maurice Stovall looked very good out there. But, then again, Stovall always seems to look good in August, but you don't see much of him November and December.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

« #1 : August 01, 2009, 10:04:08 PM »

Early observations on the Bucs

August 1, 2009 12:20 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas

TAMPA, Fla. -- Some quick observations from the Buccaneers' first camp practice before I head off to Carolina.

•Raheem Morris has been talking about having a tough, aggressive team ever since he was hired. He continued that trend by having his team open up in full pads. The one big hit from the morning session was Stylez White putting a big hit on Clifton Smith.

•Read into it what you want because it's only the first day of camp. But Luke McCown worked with the first team and Byron Leftwich with the second team. Rookie Josh Freeman shared the rest of the snaps with Josh Johnson.

•Cornerback Ronde Barber ran a route as a receiver in individual drills early in practice. Don't read too much into that. It looked like Barber was just having some fun.

•Cadillac Williams was out on the field and appeared to be going full tilt. He and Earnest Graham were part of a group of running backs doing a drill where they had to run with a bungee cord attached early in practice. Graham broke the cord and put an end to the drill.

•There are some fans out there that think the team's ownership is focused on other interests, particularly the Manchester United soccer team. But the three Glazer brothers that run the team were all out on the field, sweating their way through practice.

•Looked a little weird to see a No. 28 jersey with "Ward'' on the back. That's the number Warrick Dunn wore through his two stints with the Bucs. It now belongs to Derrick Ward.

•Saw a nice one-handed catch by Michael Clayton, who appears targeted to be the No. 2 receiver. The bigger question is who will be the third receiver? Maurice Stovall looked very good out there. But, then again, Stovall always seems to look good in August, but you don't see much of him November and December.

I find it kind of funny that billion dollar NFL team has to end a drill because a RB broke a bungee cord. It reminds me of the Sandlot, when they lose the one ball they have. It's just like ok practice is over lets go home.

It's over Smalls.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #2 : August 01, 2009, 10:18:55 PM »

I find it kind of funny that billion dollar NFL team has to end a drill because a RB broke a bungee cord. It reminds me of the Sandlot, when they lose the one ball they have. It's just like ok practice is over lets go home.

It's over Smalls.

Love the Sandlot.  You're killing me Smalls!

This kind of thing is why I love Graham so much.  Dude is just a hoss.

TheGladiator

Pro Bowler

« #3 : August 01, 2009, 10:26:21 PM »

I haven't been down close enough to the field at football games or practice.  But, I imagine that you truly see how big, fast, strong, and fit they are.  I've been on or close to the floor of a couple of NBA games and it's surreal.  I say this with respect....pro athletes are freaks of nature for the most part and it's fun to watch them up close instead of on tv.

vladin

Starter

« #4 : August 01, 2009, 10:37:33 PM »

I haven't been down close enough to the field at football games or practice.  But, I imagine that you truly see how big, fast, strong, and fit they are.  I've been on or close to the floor of a couple of NBA games and it's surreal.  I say this with respect....pro athletes are freaks of nature for the most part and it's fun to watch them up close instead of on tv.

Can definitely see how huge Freeman is - all of our QB's are tall, but Freeman is massive all around - but certainly in great shape.  Clayton looked big to me today. 

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

« #5 : August 01, 2009, 10:49:34 PM »

It's over Smalls.

Love the Sandlot.  You're killing me Smalls!

This kind of thing is why I love Graham so much.  Dude is just a hoss.

Hovan kind of reminds me of a grown up Porter. Freeman can be DeNunez. McCown is definitely Bertram.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

« #6 : August 01, 2009, 10:55:30 PM »

Nothing will make me happier than if Clayton proves all the haters wrong. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come, but obviously training camp means nothing if he can't do it during the season.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Early Observations « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools