Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Franchise Tag Numbers « previous next »
Page: 1

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

: February 11, 2007, 09:10:24 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2759910

Pastabelly article filled with his usual less-than-stellar work but it does have what the franchise figures for this FA period will be.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#1 : February 11, 2007, 10:40:29 AM

Whats not mentioned is that even if the tag isn't used, it still is used.  Lets say you go into your bosses office to ask for a raise, and he has an AK47 strapped over his shoulder he looks a little worked up about something.  You decide that maybe that raise wasn't so important as you thought it was.  Your boss hasn't actually fired the AK47 or even pointed it at you, but it served its purpose nevertheless.

Same thing with the franchise tag.   Lets assume Lance Briggs wants to stay with the Bears but he says "Hey lets see what the highest bid is and then the Bears can match it if they like."  But wait a minute somebody just asked Angelo if he plans to use this franchise tag thing. Angelo says "Golly gee I never really thought about it." 

That gets Briggs to thinking "You know I don't really want to get tagged.  Its good money but only for one year and if I get hurt thats it." So he says to his agent "Get something done with the Bears."  The Bears give him a nice long term contract, but significantly less than what they would have had to pay if they had to match the highest offer.  So the tag has served its purpose without every being used.

Briggs quote from the article:
"I would say [the franchise designation] is the last thing the player wants and probably the last thing the team wants, too," Briggs said last week. "It's not a good alternative to a long-term contract, that's for sure. Just thinking about it, I mean, it knocks the air out of you."

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#2 : February 11, 2007, 10:45:59 AM

Well it looks like the colts won't be able to keep freeney then. According to http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp the colts only have $4.9 million in cap room and the franchise tag for a DE is $8.6 million so unless they do some major restructuring freeney will become a FA.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Franchise Tag Numbers « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools