Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Revelations « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11

nderenzo7

Second String

#30 : August 07, 2009, 09:35:33 PM

Tricky I never joke about the Bible...Have you ever read or studied the scriptures? It is just a question so just an honest answer is all that is necessary...OBD

Extensively, along with tons of other literature.

Yeah, but God's been on the best seller list the longest. With royalties like that I can't see why he's broke all the time.

I can truly say God Jehovah has no need of our wealth on this earth...He is more concern of the dispositions of those that seek him and those that want to know him better...OBD

Someone should tell that to those who claim to speak on his behalf.
Someone already did...They just didn't read the memo...It says straight from Jesus's mouth...

Matthew 7:15 (King James Version)

15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Enjoy...OBD

I like that Jesus guy. He had some real nuggets of wisdom. Too bad, most of his so-called followers don't pay enough attention to what kind of man he was and what he had to say.

Who are the real prophets I wonder because there sure are a lot of false ones.

Not even the Catholics take the vow of poverty seriously.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#31 : August 07, 2009, 09:41:02 PM

Tricky I never joke about the Bible...Have you ever read or studied the scriptures? It is just a question so just an honest answer is all that is necessary...OBD

Yeah, but God's been on the best seller list the longest. With royalties like that I can't see why he's broke all the time.

I can truly say God Jehovah has no need of our wealth on this earth...He is more concern of the dispositions of those that seek him and those that want to know him better...OBD

Someone already did...They just didn't read the memo...It says straight from Jesus's mouth...

15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Enjoy...OBD

I like that Jesus guy. He had some real nuggets of wisdom. Too bad, most of his so-called followers don't pay enough attention to what kind of man he was and what he had to say.

Tricky if you like the words of wisdom from Jesus you should also read Proverbs...Solomon has Great value in honing reasoning and wisdom with understanding and council...OBD

nderenzo7

Second String

#32 : August 07, 2009, 09:45:12 PM

My man, Thomas...

The "historical accuracy" of the OT aside, what is more likely, (1) that the laws of physics were suspended momentarily while the red sea was parted or a staff turned into a snake, or (2) that these stories are very old, handed down orally from person to person, from generation to generation, translated and regurgitated thousands (or more) of times during a period in human history when people actually believed in mysticism and that ultimately these stories are embellishments?

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#33 : August 07, 2009, 09:49:42 PM

Ohhh Boyyy now here we go...I can't wait to see what comes next...OBD

nderenzo7

Second String

#34 : August 07, 2009, 09:50:03 PM

Enjoy...OBD

Tricky if you like the words of wisdom from Jesus you should also read Proverbs...Solomon has Great value in honing reasoning and wisdom with understanding and council...OBD

I've read Proverbs several times. Growing up, I read a chapter or two from Proverbs every day.

Maybe I'll revisit it and take a look at what the good king had to say. I assume you refer to the council and understanding from......god?

Thomas

Starter

#35 : August 07, 2009, 09:51:25 PM

you are not using the scientific method to solve that riddle my man. Its not what is most likely but what you can prove. The Bible has been reasonably shown to be something much more than a collection of mystic stories as you call them. There is much that cannot be proven scientifically but based on ALL the evidence would you not consider it believable that supernatural occurrences occur. And if God has such dynamic energy to create the universe is it so hard to believe He could split the Red sea or have a donkey speak to its master?

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#36 : August 07, 2009, 09:54:05 PM

Ever see something you couldn't explain scientifically?

Incomparable sig by Incognito

nderenzo7

Second String

#37 : August 07, 2009, 09:56:50 PM

That I couldn't explain, of course, but I am not a scientist of any kind.

All that proves is that I can't explain it. That does not mean that something called "god" is the cause. That's intellectual laziness IMO. Scientific knowledge is always expanding and explaining things that previously were unexplainable.

Thomas

Starter

#38 : August 07, 2009, 09:58:15 PM

Most of that knowledge is hypothesis.

#39 : August 07, 2009, 10:03:35 PM

Most of that knowledge is hypothesis.

As opposed to just assuming that God created the universe based on what, exactly? Lack of a better explanation is not a tenable theory.

nderenzo7

Second String

#40 : August 07, 2009, 10:06:09 PM

you are not using the scientific method to solve that riddle my man. Its not what is most likely but what you can prove. The Bible has been reasonably shown to be something much more than a collection of mystic stories as you call them. There is much that cannot be proven scientifically but based on ALL the evidence would you not consider it believable that supernatural occurrences occur. And if God has such dynamic energy to create the universe is it so hard to believe He could split the Red sea or have a donkey speak to its master?

I think that maybe you missed the point of the hypothetical.

I'm not saying that the OT is JUST mystic stories. I'm saying it is a mixture of fact and fiction. All history has some fiction. But often, the farther back you go, the more fiction you get (for various reasons).

To answer, a couple of your questions:

No, I don't think it believable that supernatural occurrences occur. I think that the supernatural is historical inaccuracy, outright fiction, or perhaps simply an event without an explanation (perhaps past or present).

IF god created the universe, then yes it is POSSIBLE that huge numbers of previously earth bound water molecules could suddenly be jettisoned into the air, and previously mute animals (like all of their animal counter parts) could suddenly talk. However, it is very unlikely.

If for instance, tomorrow I hear a dog talk to me, I should question first whether that was a hallucination or some other error before ever calling it a miracle attributed to some deity that I have never seen nor heard. IF I were to do otherwise, then someone should probably civilly commit me.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#41 : August 07, 2009, 10:11:23 PM

All that proves is that I can't explain it. That does not mean that something called "god" is the cause. That's intellectual laziness IMO. Scientific knowledge is always expanding and explaining things that previously were unexplainable.

It could also mean that you believe some things that you have never seen and have never questioned.

That would reveal faith in something you have never seen and do not know anything about.

It could be a hypothesis - but Christians mostly call that faith.

We're chosing to believe it until the facts show up to prove us right.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

nderenzo7

Second String

#42 : August 07, 2009, 10:14:29 PM

It could also mean that you believe some things that you have never seen and have never questioned.

That would reveal faith in something you have never seen and do not know anything about.

It could be a hypothesis - but Christians mostly call that faith.

We're chosing to believe it until the facts show up to prove us right.

It could. However, give me an example.

Hypothesis IS NOT the same as faith. The former is something that BEGINS intellectual and scientific inquiry and testing. The latter shuns such matters (at least the blind kind).

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#43 : August 07, 2009, 10:43:43 PM

God has always been here. He was not created. Atthis juncture there was no time...he was alone until He made his first creation. According to Steven Hawkings "A Brief History of Time" (even though I don't agree with everything he writes) there could be no time with the creator because there would be no way to measure something without a beginning. After His first creation - which according to the apostle Paul was Jesus Christ (Colossians 1:15) - you could measure time and there was a starting point.
(This idea is in direct contrast to most Christian teachings of the trinity of which the bible goes directly against). In Genesis it says let us create man in our image - referring to God and Jesus as us and our. By then dinosaurs had been created and destroyed by God and Jesus. They were here to help prepare the earth for mankind�s arrival - it is where oil comes from. Satan being the watcher in the Garden of Eden (read Ezekiel 28) had seen the earth being created (Job 38 1 -7) dinosaurs come and go (not to mention other animals being eaten and etc) and probably had (and still has) a very low opinion of flesh.
He was jealous that Jesus was held in such high regard by God because everything was created by him through him and for him also being first in everything (Colossians 1:13-17) and ultimately being first to be resurrected to heaven, so the Devil decided to ruin it - but didn�t count on that action costing his very life. He probably thought God would just destroy the physical world and slap Satan on the wrist but it didn�t happen that way and here we are. Satan charged God in front of all heaven's angels that He made a mistake in creating man. That is why we are living here and now this is our final exam (a test) to see if we are fit for the life to come � a much better life. That is the main reason Jesus came in the flesh - to break up the works of the Devil and deliver mankind from the authority of darkness to the authority of light.

So, if I'm reading that correctly, you're of the camp that God and Jesus were/are two separate entities ...

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#44 : August 07, 2009, 10:55:45 PM

Enjoy...OBD

I've read Proverbs several times. Growing up, I read a chapter or two from Proverbs every day.

Maybe I'll revisit it and take a look at what the good king had to say. I assume you refer to the council and understanding from......god?
Yes, God Jehovah...OBD

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Revelations « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools