Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Upcoming cuts? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#45 : February 12, 2007, 12:32:46 PM

LOL, good one. Stairway to heaven.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

vipmark

Starter
#46 : February 12, 2007, 12:51:29 PM

I thought Dwight's greatest strength was Spec Teams...love to have him back in that capacity

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#47 : February 12, 2007, 12:53:56 PM

Smith please, no Doss

bucs1

Practice Squad
#48 : February 12, 2007, 02:29:25 PM

Smith please, no Doss

I wouldn't mind having either Doss or Smith because they are both certainly better than what we have now.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#49 : February 12, 2007, 06:30:32 PM

Yes a replay that is still played on one of the NFL commericals....but he isnt a big hitter.........haha

One hit does not make a hitter. He's a CB.
He made 2 ints & ran them back for tds in the SB. 'Nuff said.
He made them as a corner back. And he made them against a QB that we had a hand book on Thanks to Gruden.

Dwight Smith while very talented lacks diciplin. He gets out of position and in this defence you can not do that.

Plus he had John Lynch telling him where to be to make those ints.  If he truely was the great corner lyou are suggesting he is based on his SB performance why didn't he have  6 or 7 INTs during the season?  And why is he now looking at his 4th team in 4 years?

HeyTampaBay

Starter

#50 : February 12, 2007, 10:51:03 PM

Dwight was a freaking ballhawk when he was here, and as far as Allen and Phillips go, he is lightyears ahead of them. I'd love to have him back.

I used to remember him always coming up big, especially against the Falcons. He owns them!

RascalBuc

Rookie

#51 : February 13, 2007, 10:00:07 AM

I'd love to get Dwight Smith back.  I think he's underrated and gives us the flexibility of playing him at CB and Safety.  He's an experienced veteran (yet relatively young), who knows what it takes to win and is familiar with our system.....and we may be able to get him cheap!

wc24

Second String

#52 : February 13, 2007, 10:11:22 AM

Dwight was a freaking ballhawk when he was here, and as far as Allen and Phillips go, he is lightyears ahead of them. I'd love to have him back.

I used to remember him always coming up big, especially against the Falcons. He owns them!

I remember him watching RB's (Clinton Portis for one) run right past him. I'm not sure where all this "ability" was hidden when he was here but it didn't show often enough.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#53 : February 13, 2007, 11:27:33 AM

Yes a replay that is still played on one of the NFL commericals....but he isnt a big hitter.........haha

One hit does not make a hitter. He's a CB.
He made 2 ints & ran them back for tds in the SB.  'Nuff said.

as a CB...i'd welcome him back as a 3rd CB with open arms, and Doss may not be an instant starter, but he'd upgrade our depth without a doubt.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#54 : February 13, 2007, 11:55:14 AM

Plus he had John Lynch telling him where to be to make those ints. If he truely was the great corner lyou are suggesting he is based on his SB performance why didn't he have 6 or 7 INTs during the season? And why is he now looking at his 4th team in 4 years?

Hate to break it to you, but he led the team in picks in 2003 (5 picks), was 4th in 2002 with 4 picks (behind Kelly, Brooks, and Dirty Jack), and tied with Barber in 2004 for second on the team with 3 picks. He didn't have 6 or 7, but only Kelly had that many in any given year, and Smith was not a full-time player for 2 of those seasons (i.e., he was the nickle corner). He also tied for the team lead for picks with 4 in Minnesota.

Why has he moved around? Probably off the field stuff and coaching changes - he was signed by the Haslett regime, and then cut when Sean Payton took over and pretty much cleaned house (plus, the Saints had a really nice find in Bullocks). He was signed by Childress to play in Tomlin's scheme, and now Tomlin is gone. Plus, I'm sure Zigi Wilf was eager to dump him for his public sex arrest after the Love Boat crisis.

I don't think Dwight is a great safety. But he knows the scheme and offers a lot of versatility, and yes, he is a ball hawk. If he can keep himself out of trouble, I think he's a smart pickup. I like him better than Doss because I think Doss is pretty much just a hitter - and a consistently banged up hitter at that.  You also have to wonder why Dungy, who pretty much needs any good defender he can find, seems so eager to give up on him. After all, he saw 2 years of him and decided that they needed Bob Sanders.

I guess I don't mind Doss being brought in for competition sake, but I think there are much better options (not just Dwight).
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Upcoming cuts? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools