Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The reason the Lions are interested in Joe Thomas... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

psymun

Starter
: February 11, 2007, 04:13:01 PM

As it turns out, Jeff Backus has turned into a bit of a Kenyatta Walker for the Detroit Lions. The Lions, however, feel that even with his inability to block consistently, he was there best lineman, so they Franchised him, and when they were going to do it again, he signed a 1 year deal. That 1 year deal was worth almost $7 Million. They finally agreed to a long-term deal, but Backus refused to take huge paycut. That's how he ended up with the 6 year $40 Million dollar contract.

Mike Martz hadn't gotten a chance to really see Backus in action, but he quickly realized he didn't have the feet or athleticism he wants in his left tackle. So now, with Joe Thomas available, he wants to move Backus to RT and bring in JT.

Whether or not this will happen, I don't actually know yet, however, Joe Thomas DID opt out of the senior bowl after he had a dinner set up with the Lions...

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 11, 2007, 04:26:49 PM

I guess that OT draft class was awful huh?
Walker,Buckus, and theres another one. Didn't we trade up to take Walker?

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 11, 2007, 04:34:36 PM

Darned

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 11, 2007, 04:42:11 PM

That Matt Millen is some piece of work. A guy fails at what you ask him to do and because he thinks Backus is the best the Lions have, reward him with a huge contract. How does this guy keep his job?

psymun

Starter
#4 : February 11, 2007, 06:13:56 PM

I guess that OT draft class was awful huh?
Walker,Buckus, and theres another one. Didn't we trade up to take Walker?

Leonard Davis was the other one...

And all 3 were highly regarded Left Tackles...

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#5 : February 11, 2007, 06:17:36 PM

The Fords are notorious for not firing anyone.

smma

Second String

#6 : February 11, 2007, 06:38:50 PM

I still don't see the Lions taking Thomas.
I believe their smokescreen is for muliple purposes.
One, if the Raiders know who the Lions are after, they can pressure them to trade up to the #1 pick to get them.
Two, the Lions know that both Tampa Bay and Arizona are hot for Thomas. They can force a team to trade up for Thomas, still get their man, and pick up some more picks. I bet they are looking at one of Tampa's two 2nd rounders.
I think the Lions want and need one of the two QBs.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#7 : February 11, 2007, 06:44:22 PM

One, if the Raiders know who the Lions are after, they can pressure them to trade up to the #1 pick to get them.
Two, the Lions know that both Tampa Bay and Arizona are hot for Thomas. They can force a team to trade up for Thomas, still get their man, and pick up some more picks. I bet they are looking at one of Tampa's two 2nd rounders.

There's a lot of  logic to this post.  I've said the same thing.  Of coarse Martz might just be giving his opinion on who he wants but it's not up to him.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 11, 2007, 06:45:17 PM

I believe Detriot is going to try to trade down,if they cannot, Joe Thomas or Brady Quinn for them. Marnielli needs a pass rushing DE, and he would trade for Arizona's pick and get Gaines Adams. I can already see that trade happening.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

psymun

Starter
#9 : February 11, 2007, 07:03:47 PM

There's a lot of logic to this post. I've said the same thing. Of coarse Martz might just be giving his opinion on who he wants but it's not up to him.

Name all the QBs Mike Martz has had that were drafted in the first round... Trent Green? 8th Round... Kurt Warner? Undrafted! Marc Bulger? 6th round...

My point... Mike Martz, like Jon Gruden, looks for a paticular type of quarterback for his system and doesn't need a 1st round draft pick to get what he is looking for.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 11, 2007, 07:20:34 PM

That's why I think Stanton would be a good pick for them in the 2nd or 3rd(wherever he's likely to go), not to mention he's a Michigan State guy.

psymun

Starter
#11 : February 11, 2007, 07:23:31 PM

I'm thinking either Stanton or Edwards... I really liked Edwards in HS but Stanford SUCKED all 4 years he was their... and there wasn't a whole lot he could do for them... One of the players I'm really interested in seeing with a good coach is Jared Zebransky... He reminds me of a Bruce Gradkowski type player, but he's got a stronger arm...

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#12 : February 11, 2007, 08:31:00 PM

There's a lot of  logic to this post.  I've said the same thing.  Of coarse Martz might just be giving his opinion on who he wants but it's not up to him.
What the post fails to realize is that the Lions front office is, in fact, devoid of any and all logic.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#13 : February 11, 2007, 08:48:37 PM

Agree with that - who would be stunned if the took AP.  Nobody - that is the answer - no rhyme or reason in the past, maybe Rod and Martz can lock Millen in a closet...

But that would be an awful lot of money spent on OTs wouldn't it?

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#14 : February 11, 2007, 11:42:08 PM

The Rams had invested a lot of money in Pace but still drafted Alex Barron in the first round to play RT.  If you are going to overspend on one positon or area of the team OT is not a bad place to put a lot money into.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The reason the Lions are interested in Joe Thomas... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools