Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The reason the Lions are interested in Joe Thomas... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

#15 : February 11, 2007, 11:52:50 PM

The Rams had invested a lot of money in Pace but still drafted Alex Barron in the first round to play RT. If you are going to overspend on one positon or area of the team OT is not a bad place to put a lot money into.

Nope, you win in the trenches, either DL / OL, look at Philly and New England over the years.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#16 : February 12, 2007, 01:34:26 AM

I don't think they will take Joe Thomas. I think that is a smokescreen. I wouldn't be shocked if Peterson or Quinn were the real targets. They said they aren't going to take a QB, but how much stock can you put into that when a team almost outright says something? Almost none.

#17 : February 12, 2007, 05:25:08 AM

I'm thinking either Stanton or Edwards... I really liked Edwards in HS but Stanford SUCKED all 4 years he was their... and there wasn't a whole lot he could do for them... One of the players I'm really interested in seeing with a good coach is Jared Zebransky... He reminds me of a Bruce Gradkowski type player, but he's got a stronger arm...
Getting injured is almost routine for Trent Edwards. He's got some physical tools, but staying healthy is a major concern.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#18 : February 12, 2007, 08:52:29 AM

The Rams had invested a lot of money in Pace but still drafted Alex Barron in the first round to play RT.  If you are going to overspend on one positon or area of the team OT is not a bad place to put a lot money into.

Yeah but they drafted Barron down in the high teens IIRC. That's not a big money spot and teams will draft ROT's there. The Lions are talking about moving Backus to ROT which is a spot he's badly suited for and still paying him a ton of money. They're gonna be paying a bad ROT many, many times his market value. I mean this really is a Lions type thing to do.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#19 : February 12, 2007, 10:08:37 AM

Martz does not call a lot of running plays so it is not like Lions lose much if Backus plays right tackle.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#20 : February 12, 2007, 10:13:17 AM

Nobody seems to want to talk about the Lions taking Calvin Johnson. I doubt they would remove him completely from their board.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#21 : February 12, 2007, 10:18:07 AM

Don't forget the Lions also drafted Jonathan Scott last year, who had some starts at ROT and looked good (although he was injured in their final game).  I would imagine that Backus might actually shift inside to Guard.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#22 : February 12, 2007, 10:21:39 AM

Don't forget the Lions also drafted Jonathan Scott last year, who had some starts at ROT and looked good (although he was injured in their final game).  I would imagine that Backus might actually shift inside to Guard.

Which makes his value get even worse.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#23 : February 12, 2007, 10:23:09 AM

It is a Lion type of move in all respects. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

#24 : February 12, 2007, 11:43:59 AM

Lions sources said they now expect to lose running back Kevin Jones for at least half the 2007 season due to the Lisfranc injury he suffered in December that required surgery on his left foot three days later. Up until now, there had been questions surrounding when Jones might be able to return. Now the Lions are hoping Jones will be able to return six to eight weeks into the 2007 season, which means that Detroit must revise its offseason priorities. A running back now moves near the top of the list of Detroit's needs. The Lions will explore the free-agent market and take a look at San Diego's restricted free-agent running back Michael Turner and Arizona's unrestricted free-agent running back Marcel Shipp.
Posted February 12, by Ben Maller

The Lions, scheduled to pick second in the April NFL draft, also like Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson, and will debate picking him there. But Detroit does have concerns about Peterson's durability and injury history, which could cause them to lean towards taking Wisconsin offensive tackle Joe Thomas.
Posted February 12, by Ben Maller

marlevr

Second String
#25 : February 12, 2007, 12:22:24 PM

I've read that Peterson is not a good fit for their offense. I believe they'll trade down.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#26 : February 12, 2007, 12:23:07 PM

Martz benches players that can not catch.  So um...yeah....AP is not a good fit.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#27 : February 12, 2007, 01:15:00 PM

I guess that OT draft class was awful huh?
Walker,Buckus, and theres another one. Didn't we trade up to take Walker?

Leonard Davis was the other one...

And all 3 were highly regarded Left Tackles...
Walker was a Right Tackle at Florida, was he not?

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#28 : February 12, 2007, 01:16:27 PM

Correct.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#29 : February 12, 2007, 01:30:18 PM

Kitna isn't as old as I originally thought. He'll be 35 shortly after the beginning of the season. QB isn't as a pressing need as I thought for them. Kevin Jones foot injury is what might save us. Although Kitna was sacked 63 times last season.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The reason the Lions are interested in Joe Thomas... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools