Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The reason the Lions are interested in Joe Thomas... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

acacius

Hall of Famer

#30 : February 12, 2007, 01:43:29 PM

Walker was a Right Tackle at Florida, was he not?

He was considered to have the athleticism to be a top-grade left tackle prospect in the pros though.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#31 : February 12, 2007, 01:46:53 PM

Walker was a Right Tackle at Florida, was he not?

He was considered to have the athleticism to be a top-grade left tackle prospect in the pros though.
But not good enough to be a LT in college?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#32 : February 12, 2007, 01:57:05 PM

That should have been the big red flag right there. He wasn't good enough to beat out some other guy for the gig.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#33 : February 12, 2007, 01:58:35 PM

I honestly don't recall why he played at ROT in college, but yes.  He was quite definitely considered a LOT prospect in the draft.  For example, see:

http://espn.go.com/melkiper/s/2001/0330/1164683.html

4. [overall!!!] Kenyatta Walker, OT, Florida -- While he played RT with the Gators, the skill level Walker possesses makes him an ideal candidate for duty at the critical LT spot. That's why he is carrying such a lofty rating.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#34 : February 12, 2007, 02:01:30 PM

I'm still of the opinion that, as bad as the Lions offense is, their defense was alot worse. You know Marinelli isn't pleased about that. If it means trade down or not, I haven't a clue, but since Rod's the HC, not Martz, it's hard to imagine that Millen would frustrate him by handcuffing his ability to build the defense he needs to win..

But then again yea, it is Millen...

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#35 : February 12, 2007, 02:29:17 PM

I honestly don't recall why he played at ROT in college, but yes.  He was quite definitely considered a LOT prospect in the draft.  For example, see:

http://espn.go.com/melkiper/s/2001/0330/1164683.html

4. [overall!!!] Kenyatta Walker, OT, Florida -- While he played RT with the Gators, the skill level Walker possesses makes him an ideal candidate for duty at the critical LT spot. That's why he is carrying such a lofty rating.
Well, I guess we see now that these talking heads that don't have enough knowledge to be employed by an NFL franchise really aren't right all the time. Not only wasn't Walker able to play LOT like these fools thought, but now we see he wasn't even able to play ROT. So what exactly did these supposed draft gurus see in him that led them to believe he could play LOT?

marlevr

Second String
#36 : February 12, 2007, 04:04:26 PM

that tells you how much such gurus know. I for one don't care about reaching for a guy, if your team have a need and there is someone you think will help you take him, no matter if the gurus think the player should go 3 spots lower.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#37 : February 12, 2007, 04:36:43 PM

Well, I guess we see now that these talking heads that don't have enough knowledge to be employed by an NFL franchise really aren't right all the time. Not only wasn't Walker able to play LOT like these fools thought, but now we see he wasn't even able to play ROT. So what exactly did these supposed draft gurus see in him that led them to believe he could play LOT?

Since you asked, I think this was a fairly typical scouting report for him (I'm having a hard time finding the scouting reports from the big names that far back):

Positives... Superb pass protector with great athletic ability and foot quickness...Comes out of his stance low and with force, quickly getting his hands into a defender's chest... Snaps the pass rusher's head back on contact, forcefully getting his body into the defender...Gains position and sustains his blocks, creating a strong surge and push forward in run support...Drives with his feet upon contact and has the speed to get to the second level to engage the linebackers...Has a sharp kick-set in pass protection, sliding his feet properly to show fluidness in his lateral move- ments...Shoots his hands up in an instant to jolt the defenders and does an excellent job of keeping his hands inside to get a more forceful lock on his man...Does a nice job of maintaining foot quickness moving upfield.

And for the sake of completeness, I should probably go ahead and add his negatives in too:

While he comes out of his stance quickly, he is not consistent in driving defenders away from the ball...Keeps his base a little too wide in drive blocking, causing him to lean into defenders at times...Needs to do a better job of locating other defenders after making his initial hit...Has to develop a nasty streak.

and

GAZING INTO THE CRYSTAL BALL... Walker's good, but he needs to add more bulk and show better pass protection skills before I put him up on a pedestal next to Leonard Davis. The thing I like about this kid is his athletic ability. The thing I don't like is his lack of concentration at times, which leads to high sack and pressure totals. Sure, he's a first rounder, but most teams already have a guy like this in place. He almost made my Most Overrated category.

Emphasis added by me, and isn't that the truth.  So in short, there were red flags for the behavior we've all come to know and despise, but scouts were in love with his natural atheletic ability.

edit: whoops, here's the link:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2001/profile/kenyatta_walker.html

Oh, and with regards to:

Well, I guess we see now that these talking heads that don't have enough knowledge to be employed by an NFL franchise really aren't right all the time.

Keep in mind that Davis and Walker were (ispa loq.) considered first round, franchise left tackles by NFL franchises as well.  The talking heads wiffed, sure.  But so did the real scouts and front offices.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#38 : February 12, 2007, 06:47:10 PM

The bottom line here is the Lion's are shopping this pick so if they find a willing partner Thomas will be gone.  I think their true target is Gaines Adams so the Bucs or Arizona are probably who the are hoping to trade with.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#39 : February 12, 2007, 04:49:24 PM

Since you asked, I think this was a fairly typical scouting report for him (I'm having a hard time finding the scouting reports from the big names that far back):

Positives... Superb pass protector with great athletic ability and foot quickness...Comes out of his stance low and with force, quickly getting his hands into a defender's chest... Snaps the pass rusher's head back on contact, forcefully getting his body into the defender...Gains position and sustains his blocks, creating a strong surge and push forward in run support...Drives with his feet upon contact and has the speed to get to the second level to engage the linebackers...Has a sharp kick-set in pass protection, sliding his feet properly to show fluidness in his lateral move- ments...Shoots his hands up in an instant to jolt the defenders and does an excellent job of keeping his hands inside to get a more forceful lock on his man...Does a nice job of maintaining foot quickness moving upfield.

And for the sake of completeness, I should probably go ahead and add his negatives in too:

While he comes out of his stance quickly, he is not consistent in driving defenders away from the ball...Keeps his base a little too wide in drive blocking, causing him to lean into defenders at times...Needs to do a better job of locating other defenders after making his initial hit...Has to develop a nasty streak.

and

GAZING INTO THE CRYSTAL BALL... Walker's good, but he needs to add more bulk and show better pass protection skills before I put him up on a pedestal next to Leonard Davis. The thing I like about this kid is his athletic ability. The thing I don't like is his lack of concentration at times, which leads to high sack and pressure totals. Sure, he's a first rounder, but most teams already have a guy like this in place. He almost made my Most Overrated category.

Emphasis added by me, and isn't that the truth.  So in short, there were red flags for the behavior we've all come to know and despise, but scouts were in love with his natural atheletic ability.

edit: whoops, here's the link:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2001/profile/kenyatta_walker.html

Oh, and with regards to:

Well, I guess we see now that these talking heads that don't have enough knowledge to be employed by an NFL franchise really aren't right all the time.

Keep in mind that Davis and Walker were (ispa loq.) considered first round, franchise left tackles by NFL franchises as well.  The talking heads wiffed, sure.  But so did the real scouts and front offices.
Franchise LT's don't fall to the teens in the draft. You have to wonder where he would have ended up being drafted had dumbass McKay not given up the farm for him. Maybe he drops out of round 1 all together? Maybe not. The discussion and agreement by most on this board is you just don't let a franchise LT go. So how is it that more than a dozen or so teams let Kenyatta Walker get by if he was considered a franchise LT by so many NFL franchises? Unless of course no other franchises(at least the ones before us) thought he was a franchise LT.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The reason the Lions are interested in Joe Thomas... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools