Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Prestige rankings « previous next »
Page: 1 2

LFO

Hall of Famer

#15 : August 10, 2009, 08:05:16 PM

Take it up with ESPN..    Since MNC's are so important which Poll is the real one? Talk about a joke.. There is a reason the NCAA doesn't recognize them.   USC  TEXAS AND UTAH had just as much reason to be there last year as UF and OU.

As Notre Dame did in 93.

What's your point?

LFO

Hall of Famer

#16 : August 10, 2009, 08:13:39 PM

Not exciting though I love how it riles up gator fans and gets them in a froth.  Just cold hard facts to keep Gator swelled heads in perspective.  Little brother is finally on top  CONGRATULATIONS   UM AND FSU WELCOME THEM!!

Notice how for the dumber gator fans it always goes to the Mighty SEC which of course in those same 90's was a conference that UF also was dominating while attaining a record of 4-8-1 against FSU from 1990-2000.

You will get no argument from me that the SEC is the best of the 6 BCS conferences in terms of good teams. However, it is not 12 teams massively superior to all other BCS conferences that UF fans imply to cover their cowardice in scheduling.

Here is a nice question for our resident gator fans..  From 1990-2000 what was the SEC's record against what are now the 6 BCS conferences?  All 12 SEC teams records against the other 5 BCS conferences teams of 1990- 2000. Include regular season and bowl games..   Remember that Temple should be counted as a Big East team but Louisville USF and UCONN are not eligible.
Likewise South Carolina's and Arkansas wins and losses against those should consider both 1990 and 1991 seasons.
As well as Miami and FSU's during those years as well.    It would appear that the SEC's domination is not as great as implied by UF fans.  Most surprising!

You never got anyone riled up, except yourself maybe.  You just further proved how you are stuck in the past, grasping at straws to try and maintain some sort of relevancy for FSU. 

As FSU (and Miami at that) have proven in recent years, it's not just about being in a dominant conference.  It's about depth.  For 8 games a year in the 90's, FSU had little to worry about in conference.  It doesn't matter what UF did against FSU (although it probably furthers MY point), the point was it was more difficult for UF to get through conference play unscathed than FSU.  By the time UF got to FSU, they had battled through a grueling conference schedule, while FSU coasted most games.  It is no secret that your toughest games are your conference rivals who play you annually and know you best.  Since the ACC merger has added depth, UM and FSU have both crumbled.  And while the ACC is deeper, it is still not what the SEC was and is. 

The most telling FACT about how easy FSU (and UM) had it in the Big Least and ACC in the 90's is looking at how poor each have done since the ACC added VT, UM, and BC.  While none of those teams are powerhouses anymore, it made it deeper and harder to navigate teams that know you so well. 

Bobby Bowden said as much which is why he joined the ACC over the SEC. 

LFO

Hall of Famer

#17 : August 10, 2009, 08:19:09 PM

miami's national championships account for less than 10% of their ranking points.  fsu's national championships account for less than 5% of their points.  thats a joke of a system to me.

Of course...FSU is going to dominate this kind of thing because they were guaranteed a 10 win season playing in the ACC throughout the 90's.  FSU had 8 free wins in conference.  They only had to go 2-2 in their remaining 3 games and Bowl game to secure a 10-2 record, and likely top 10 (or even 5 as they had it) ranking. 

It's why Bobby Bowden himself SAID, he did not want to join the SEC because it was too hard, and he had a greater chance to win a title in the ACC.  He did, have many chances as it turned out.  Unfortunately for him though he was only able to capitalize twice over all those years of "dominance."  Or, as has been pointed out elsewhere, as many times as Urban Meyer has done in 8 shorts years as a coach and 4 years at UF. 

Runole will ignore these facts until his head turns blue, but it is true.  His hate for UF blinds him too much.  As a UF alumnus and fan, I laugh at how far FSU has come down now that this is ALL FSU fans like runole can hang their hat on these days.  Of course, I guess if my team was coming off a severe CHEATING scandal and several poor seasons in a row, I might also try to live in the past and divert attention away from how low my school has fallen.  Then again, runole always has his "back up" USF team if all else fails....

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#18 : August 10, 2009, 11:02:42 PM

"No team dominated college football as completely for such an extended period of time as Florida State did in the '90s. Between 1990 and 1999, Florida State led the nation in major bowl appearances (nine), major bowl wins (seven), consensus All-Americans (19), weeks at No. 1 (58), 10-win seasons (10), first-round draft picks (13) and top-5 finishes (10). "

It aint the 90s and more buddy. 

duanet75

Pro Bowler
#19 : August 10, 2009, 11:53:12 PM

"No team dominated college football as completely for such an extended period of time as Florida State did in the '90s. Between 1990 and 1999, Florida State led the nation in major bowl appearances (nine), major bowl wins (seven), consensus All-Americans (19), weeks at No. 1 (58), 10-win seasons (10), first-round draft picks (13) and top-5 finishes (10). "

Yeah? What was thre record vs. Miami in the 90's?

Runole

Hall of Famer
#20 : August 11, 2009, 12:10:23 AM

Take it up with ESPN..    Since MNC's are so important which Poll is the real one? Talk about a joke.. There is a reason the NCAA doesn't recognize them.   USC  TEXAS AND UTAH had just as much reason to be there last year as UF and OU.

As Notre Dame did in 93.

What's your point?

That I don't put as much value as most do on them.  Until there is a real playoff they are just arbitrary match ups.

Every year someone gets screwed and the whole process becomes more and more conflicted in its determination on who gets in the game.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#21 : August 11, 2009, 12:18:50 AM

As Notre Dame did in 93.

What's your point?

That I don't put as much value as most do on them.  Until there is a real playoff they are just arbitrary match ups.

Every year someone gets screwed and the whole process becomes more and more conflicted in its determination on who gets in the game.

And polls are just arbitrary rankings.

As are "prestige" rankings.

There isn't much value in anything, but the current system is the best we have had.  That isn't saying much, but at least now we don't have 1 playing 5 and 2 playing 3 and 4 playing 7.  Yes, there is a disagreement at times over who is 1 and 2, but that would have been the same regardless. 

About the only thing I'd agree with you on is we do need a playoff.  But we don't have one. 

I do find it funny how when FSU had 2 titles and UF 1, titles were important.  Now that UF has 3 and FSU has 2, they aren't, and some imaginary prestige rankings are.  Weird. 

Runole

Hall of Famer
#22 : August 11, 2009, 12:40:31 AM

"As FSU (and Miami at that) have proven in recent years, it's not just about being in a dominant conference.  It's about depth.  For 8 games a year in the 90's, FSU had little to worry about in conference.  It doesn't matter what UF did against FSU (although it probably furthers MY point), the point was it was more difficult for UF to get through conference play unscathed than FSU.  By the time UF got to FSU, they had battled through a grueling conference schedule, while FSU coasted most games."

Do you actually believe what you just wrote?   So who were these MONSTER teams that UF had to play every season in the SEC that were so formidable?  Vandy??  Kentucky  South Carolina?  LSU?  Georgia?   Who?   The SEC was pretty much a Two horse conference from 1990- 2000 with UF and Tennessee winning 9 out of the 11 SEC championships, and UF pretty much dominated Tennessee much like FSU dominated UF.  Your point is looking pretty weak from my view.

While FSU dominated the ACC.   UF certainly dominated the SEC. perhaps not as well as FSU dominated the ACC but there really was not the difference you imply.  Also, FSU was playing Miami every year and UF ducked them every year but one from 1990-2000.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#23 : August 11, 2009, 12:47:44 AM

As Notre Dame did in 93.

What's your point?

And polls are just arbitrary rankings.

As are "prestige" rankings.

There isn't much value in anything, but the current system is the best we have had.  That isn't saying much, but at least now we don't have 1 playing 5 and 2 playing 3 and 4 playing 7.  Yes, there is a disagreement at times over who is 1 and 2, but that would have been the same regardless. 

About the only thing I'd agree with you on is we do need a playoff.  But we don't have one. 

I do find it funny how when FSU had 2 titles and UF 1, titles were important.  Now that UF has 3 and FSU has 2, they aren't, and some imaginary prestige rankings are.  Weird. 

Not for me!  Find anywhere that I have bragged about MNC's being most important.

How does winning % rate with you from 1990-2000?   how about consecutive Bowl appearances?  How about consecutive bowl wins? How about consecutive winning seasons up to 2008? How about being named to the College Football Hall OF Fame as a Dynasty?

I would say those prestige rankings seem pretty accurate far more accurate than anything you have come up with.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#24 : August 11, 2009, 03:49:24 PM

Keep dreaming and living in the past all you want,I am sure it will help ease the pain of another miserable season...and LOSS to UF of course.

Enjoy watching UF succeed in ways FSU can only dream of!

LFO

Hall of Famer

#25 : August 11, 2009, 03:51:38 PM

Bowls? When you can go 6-6 and make one, sorry it doesn't mean much to me. Winning season? Great - FSU was guaranteed 8 wins in the ACC. Congrats. Truly telling is FSU's mere 2 titles all those years.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#26 : August 12, 2009, 11:46:35 AM

FSU 8-4-1 from 1990-2000  against UF's in its best decade. Hey UF has a chance at wire to wire perfect this season.  If they make it welcome to the club with FSU and USC!

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#27 : August 12, 2009, 06:34:49 PM

why does anybody argue with this bozo?  I would rather watch paint dry, grass grow, or work for free.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#28 : August 13, 2009, 11:39:01 AM

Hey those statements aren't mine take em up with ESPN..       
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Prestige rankings « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools