Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Cure" for Paralisis coming in our lifetime? « previous next »
Page: 1

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

: August 12, 2009, 10:15:37 AM

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4564186n

I caught this news story this weekend, and I thought I'd share it.  It's exciting news...

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 12, 2009, 11:38:10 AM

Wonderful if true

BucNative

Starter

#2 : August 12, 2009, 11:41:03 AM

I'm personally exicted to see what happens with the blue dye from the Gatorade and M&M's thing.  They were able to cure spinal cord injuries in mice and are supposed to be starting clinical trials on humans soon.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 12, 2009, 11:45:18 AM

Been talking about this for decades now...I would love it if we can actually find a cure for this.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 12, 2009, 11:45:39 AM

Also, I am a HUGE proponent of stem cell research.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#5 : August 12, 2009, 05:53:22 PM

Not too big on stem cells obtained via aborted fetuses/children Boid.  Huge on improving the fate of paralyzed (paralysis) 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 13, 2009, 01:58:24 AM

Not too big on stem cells obtained via aborted fetuses/children Boid. Huge on improving the fate of paralyzed (paralysis)
well, it might sound harsh to say, but if abortion is legal, then...

There are other ways to obtain stem cells that are not as effective in nature as the ones from fetus-tissue, but if babies are aborted, might as well utilize material, so to speak.

We are able to donate organs, perhaps aborted fetus stem cells can be considered in the same light.  This is too deep an issue, because of the sentiment on abortion.  I agree, that abortion is awful.  But you know...

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 13, 2009, 03:30:29 AM

Why not substitute one letter for complete words? Several programs together could make it MUCH quicker to form sentences. Heck, just my cell phone has a program in it that all I have to do is press three buttons and it gives a guess as to what the word is I'm trying to finish. Add that, with another program that remembers your most common words you use. I have to say, it IS amazing, but I've seen it before on a man with basically a cybernetic arm. They use sensors though, not the actual neurons comming from the brain, so this is rather significant in it's own right. This should the the start of the crybernetic age.

Just think of what else they could do with this sort of tech. Heart/lung problems, deformaties, and even at some level diseases could possibly be aleved somewhat. I also wonder... in the far-future, if players would want to have this sort of work done if it improved their game, or if it would be banned?

[Stupid monkey gets robot arms. <I jealous>]

BucNative

Starter

#8 : August 13, 2009, 10:26:00 AM

Here's a link to the article about the blue food dye.  I guess its something you would need to keep in a first aid kit or be administered in the ER.  If its not dangerous to a healthy person though (other than turning their skin blue temporarily) then I don't see why it couldn't be part of a standard first aid kit.  I would think the difference in spinal damage between an injection immediately following the accident and an injection after having waited for the ambulance to arrive and then get you to the hospital would be quite signigicant.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/07/28/spinal.injury.blue.dye/

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 14, 2009, 03:01:44 PM

Here's a link to the article about the blue food dye.  I guess its something you would need to keep in a first aid kit or be administered in the ER.  If its not dangerous to a healthy person though (other than turning their skin blue temporarily) then I don't see why it couldn't be part of a standard first aid kit.  I would think the difference in spinal damage between an injection immediately following the accident and an injection after having waited for the ambulance to arrive and then get you to the hospital would be quite signigicant.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/07/28/spinal.injury.blue.dye/

That is pretty damn weird. That begs the question though... What does the green ones do?

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Cure" for Paralisis coming in our lifetime? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools