Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sadly, It's Time For Bowden to Retire..... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Snook

Hall of Famer

: October 25, 2007, 03:28:46 PM

Sadly, Bowden won't quit until Paterno does.  He wants the record.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#1 : October 25, 2007, 03:21:38 PM

I think it's time for him to "go" too.

you forgot the ['img]['/img]

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 25, 2007, 11:05:05 AM

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/shifty5220/bobbyswamp1jg2.jpg

I think it's time for him to "go" too. 

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 25, 2007, 10:55:13 AM

Whether it's time to go or not, the decision should his and only his to make ....

Runole

Hall of Famer
#4 : October 28, 2007, 07:37:58 AM

Mike Bianchi  "TOTAL GATOR HOMER" writes an article on why Bowden should retire?

Hmmmmm?   Now that is something filled with objectivity and no agenda??

One question?  Why would a known gator writer who bleeds ORANGE and BLUE be concerned with a legendary coach of a rival program and why he should retire?   Gee THAT IS A TOUGH ONE??

Second question??

Is it time for gator, nole, and miami fans to play the game...  "My losses are better than yours??" Is USF about to join the party?

Is USC about to join the discussion??   ;D

#5 : October 24, 2007, 11:07:34 PM

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bianchi2407oct24,0,2368636,print.column

OrlandoSentinel.com
Sadly, it's time for Bowden to retire

Mike Bianchi

SPORTS COMMENTARY

October 24, 2007

Forgive me, Lord, for what I am about to say.

This is not something I ever wanted to have to write about because of what this wonderful man has meant to college football.

It's sad and depressing to even broach the topic because he is the classiest, funniest and most congenial coach I've ever had the pleasure of covering.

But I'm starting to think it might be time.

Time for the great Bobby Bowden to step down as coach of the Florida State Seminoles.

And, believe me, this has nothing to do with the "For Sale" sign placed in Bobby's yard by some rube fan Saturday night. And it has nothing to do with Florida State blowing the game and losing to Miami Saturday afternoon.

No, this is more about a program that has now been mediocre for most of this decade. A program that since 2000 has averaged nearly five losses a season and is in danger this year of finishing with a losing record for the first time since Bobby's inaugural year in 1976.

Any college football fan with an ounce of decency doesn't want to see Bobby go out like this. Wouldn't you love to see him turn it around this season and at least give us the slightest affirmation he is building momentum for next year? Sadly, there is no such evidence. The Seminoles are 4-3 with road games left against highly ranked Boston College, Virginia Tech and Florida. There's a chance they could be double-digit underdogs in each of those games.

Here's how far the program has fallen: The Seminoles play Duke on Saturday, and would anybody out there really be all that surprised if they lost?

Another sign it may be time for Bobby to go: Because the Gators all say they want him to stay.

You search desperately for signs that Bobby's program is moving in the right direction, but there just aren't any. The Seminoles' quarterback situation is a mess, they can't run the ball, they can't block and their defense is melting at the end of games.

The only hope for better days seems to be that Bowden just hired a bunch of new assistant coaches this season. But isn't this, in itself, a troubling sign? When the entire direction of your program seems to be contingent on the assistant coaches, what does that say about the clout and influence of the head coach?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling for Bobby's firing. That's not going to happen, nor should it. You just don't fire a man I consider the greatest coach in major college football history. Yes, greater than Alabama's Bear Bryant. Greater than Penn State's Joe Paterno.

I've written before and I'll reiterate it now: Bowden has meant more to Florida State than any coach has ever meant to any school. Alabama won numerous national titles before the Bear ever arrived. Before Paterno took over at Penn State, his predecessor -- the legendary Rip Engle -- put together a powerhouse and never had a losing season. But before Bowden, Florida State football was an embarrassing quagmire of Cigar Bowl bids, chicken wire scandals and high-level discussions about shutting down the program.

Bobby's backers will tell you that because of Bowden's icon status, he should be given preferential treatment for his past glory. Agreed. But the thing is, he's already been given preferential treatment. Any other coach at a high-profile program in this state would have already been run off.

Larry Coker was fired at Miami with a 60-15 overall record just four years after playing for the national title. Ron Zook was given only 2 1/2 seasons of mediocrity before Florida jettisoned him. Bobby has had six, seven, eight years to get his team back to elite status, but the Seminoles seem to be getting worse -- not better.

What complicates the situation is this fierce fogey free-for-all between Bowden, 77, and Paterno, 80, to see who can outlast the other and become the winningest coach of all-time. Even though JoePa has had four losing seasons in the last eight years and his program remains middle-of-the-pack in the Big Ten, he continues to coach and has somehow pulled to within one win of Bobby on the all-time list.

I've got a great idea: Call it a tie and let the two legends go out together as the co-winningest coaches of all-time. Then both of their programs will be free of the guilt and obligation and can finally start moving forward.

FSU fans deserve better than four-, five- and six-loss seasons. Unlike the more centrally located University of Florida, FSU is a long haul from every major metropolitan area in this state. It takes a huge investment in time and money for FSU fans to give their booster contribution, buy their tickets, make the eight-hour round trip from Orlando and pay the jacked-up hotel rates in Tallahassee on football weekends.

If the losing continues, will thousands of fans continue to pay millions of dollars for an inferior product? Doubtful.

The Seminoles cannot and will not unceremoniously dump the creator of their program, but school president T.K. Wetherell, a Bowden confidante, can at least give Bobby a nudge toward retirement.

It's a move that must be done tactfully and tastefully.

But sooner or later, it must be done.

Mike Bianchi can be reached at mbianchi@orlandosentinel.com.

Copyright © 2007, Orlando Sentinel

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 25, 2007, 05:59:18 PM

Sadly, Bowden won't quit until Paterno does.  He wants the record.

I think he's earned the right to do whatever he wants to in regards to this .... FSU fans may just have to bite the bullet until he's ready to go. Hopefully, he doesn't wait too long that FSU isn't put into too big of a hole.... if a hole at all.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 26, 2007, 01:57:18 AM

How is this so sad again?

Snook

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 27, 2007, 08:42:06 AM

How is this so sad again?

Sadly, I don't know.

superbuc

Practice Squad
#9 : October 27, 2007, 07:19:40 PM

Funny to hear JP Peterson as an apologist for FSU/Bowden after he just GOES OFF on the Bucs and Gruden.  I think many 'noles alumni have those glasses on, though.

#10 : November 10, 2007, 11:46:19 PM

I have a lot of friends that are Gator fans, and 99% of them WANT Bowden to stay.  The way they see it, as long as Bowden is at FSU, UF will remain the dominant team in Florida.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 12, 2007, 07:04:33 AM

Originally published November 10, 2007

Bowden aims to extend his reign

FSU's beloved coach takes part in contract negotiations

By Steve Ellis

DEMOCRAT SENIOR WRITER

Bobby Bowden, who turned 78 on Thursday, would like to celebrate more birthdays as the head football coach at Florida State. The legendary Seminole coach seeks his 300th FSU victory today against Virginia Tech � and he desires to be a part of plenty more.

Negotiations are under way to extend Bowden's contract and allow for those possibilities. Bowden's current five-year contract, valued at $2 million-plus annually, expires Jan. 4. FSU President T.K. Wetherell and Bowden's Birmingham-based attorney, Russ Campbell, said they are eager to reach an agreement to extend the contract. Wetherell would not be pinned to the length of an extension but said that it would be a multi-year offer.

Wetherell stressed that from his standpoint this is not a matter whether Bowden will continue to coach at FSU or for how long.

"The issue is what he wants to do," Wetherell said.

Campbell said he has been in conversations with FSU's legal counsel as well as Wetherell about the structure of the contract.

"Everybody knows that coach Bowden is there as long as he wants to be there," Campbell said. "I don't think it's important for (the contract) to be five years. The term is not real important but certainly (there's a) need to send a message to everyone in recruiting that Coach Bowden is not going anywhere."

The five-year extension that took place before the 2003 season did not reflect significant financial increases and Campbell said Bowden deserves a raise.

"Clearly we want him to be compensated according to his accomplishments," Wetherell said.

Bowden, now in his 32nd season at FSU, is NCAA Division 1-A's all-time winningest coach.

"It's been a great ride," Bowden said. "I've enjoyed it and I'm not wanting to get off, either."

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071110/FSU03/711100332

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 12, 2007, 08:49:59 AM

I don't get why the legend has to be subjected to this kind of booty reporting.  Are you kidding me?  Please, the guy is trying to turn the thing around and build it back up for his successor.  The mark of a good coach is how he leaves the program.  If Bobby leave s with the program in shambles it'd be far worst than him leaving because some bozo in Orlando thinks it's time...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 12, 2007, 11:36:59 AM

I don't get why the legend has to be subjected to this kind of booty reporting.  Are you kidding me?  Please, the guy is trying to turn the thing around and build it back up for his successor.  The mark of a good coach is how he leaves the program.  If Bobby leave s with the program in shambles it'd be far worst than him leaving because some bozo in Orlando thinks it's time...

Linking Bianchi to bozo is doing a huge disservice to bozo ...

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#14 : November 12, 2007, 01:12:55 PM

Petino is not going to last long in Atlanta.  just throwing it out.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sadly, It's Time For Bowden to Retire..... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools