Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCown wasnt bad at all « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9

#15 : August 17, 2009, 09:20:07 PM

For all the talk that McCown was doing on how he'll be more aggressive in this new scheme, he was doing a great Garcia impersonation. Happy feet and lots of safe throws in the flat.

Some of Leftwich's throws were probably risky, but hey, its the first preseason game. They're competing for the starting spot and throwing 2 yard passes does not get you ahead of the rest.

I totally agree. I dont want to see another Garcia and I'd rather lefty take chances then throw 2 yard checkdowns like Mccown

#16 : August 17, 2009, 09:24:03 PM

For all the talk that McCown was doing on how he'll be more aggressive in this new scheme, he was doing a great Garcia impersonation. Happy feet and lots of safe throws in the flat.

Some of Leftwich's throws were probably risky, but hey, its the first preseason game. They're competing for the starting spot and throwing 2 yard passes does not get you ahead of the rest.

So you are referencing 3 plays for Luke specifically

#1- Itr was about 3rd andf 9 on the first drive, 2 outside WRs didnt beat their press, 2 slot WRs ran routes short of the marker. McCown hit the slot guy short

#2- about 3rd and 13, it was a 7 man drop, and it is imnpossible to tell any furthe rthan that whether WRs were open or the 7 man zone was blanketing everyone, but McCown didnt throw it

#3- About 3rd and 14, again 7 man drop again you could not see the WRs routes unfolding therefor nobody watching on tv knows if anyone was open or the 7 man zone was blanketing everyone

When Leftwich went down field was it 3rd and 13? Was Cortland Finnegan and Nick Harpe rin the game against our #3 and #4 WRs? Was there 7 men dropping in zone? What was the playcall? Was there actually WRs running past the markers?

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#17 : August 17, 2009, 09:25:50 PM

Take it easy Mrs McCown. Your little Lukie will get another chance to screw up.

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

#18 : August 17, 2009, 09:27:04 PM

I totally agree. I dont want to see another Garcia and I'd rather lefty take chances then throw 2 yard checkdowns like Mccown

This is the common criticism of MCown yesterday. I kind of felt the same way, until I actually had a chance to rewatch the game and break down everything that was going on rather than just following the football.

To be honest it really doesnt matter, because the coaches and players do film study and that is where it becomes crystal clear who was at fault, how the play shouldve been ran, and what exactly happened.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#19 : August 17, 2009, 09:28:08 PM

McCown playing badly was exaggerated, just like Leftwich playing great was exaggerated.  Both were blah, IMO.

#20 : August 17, 2009, 09:28:35 PM

Take it easy Mrs McCown. Your little Lukie will get another chance to screw up.

I have asked for someone to show just 1 play where Luke screwed up, you cant

Thats why message boards arent exactly the place to find intelligent debate. But for some reason, here I am

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#21 : August 17, 2009, 09:29:31 PM

How about poor ball security, and poor ball placement. McCown is not that great of a qb. That's all there is to it. I'm willing to give the guy a chance, but the tape is out on him. He holds the ball to long, loves to checkdown at the first chance he gets. You saw what kind of player this offensive scheme needs when leftwich came in. Not scared to throw the ball down field and let his receivers make plays. After all that's what they get paid to do right?

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#22 : August 17, 2009, 09:30:53 PM

You have been given the example you asked for. You just don't like it.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#23 : August 17, 2009, 09:31:26 PM

He holds the ball to long, loves to checkdown at the first chance he gets.

That's a little oxymoron-ic, no?

#24 : August 17, 2009, 09:33:06 PM

How about poor ball security, and poor ball placement. McCown is not that great of a qb. That's all there is to it. I'm willing to give the guy a chance, but the tape is out on him. He holds the ball to long, loves to checkdown at the first chance he gets. You saw what kind of player this offensive scheme needs when leftwich came in. Not scared to throw the ball down field and let his receivers make plays. After all that's what they get paid to do right?

again, horrible breakdown of what happened

Every situation is different. A pass play on 3rd and 13 in the 1st quarter with 7 men in coverage against 1st teamers isnt the same as a 2nd and 7 in the 2nd quarter against 2nd and 3rd stringers when 5-6 men are in coverage. Schemes change with personel and situation. I guess thats a little too complicated to grasp

These criticisms that McCown holds on to the ball too long or is captain checkdown based on last game arent warranted.

Ball security? Yea you could criticize that, if you wnat to overlook the jailbreak from the DL and the facemask. McCown still shouldve held onto that ball though

#25 : August 17, 2009, 09:34:00 PM

You have been given the example you asked for. You just don't like it.

which one is that slappy?

#26 : August 17, 2009, 09:35:09 PM

He holds the ball to long, loves to checkdown at the first chance he gets.

That's a little oxymoron-ic, no?

come on BIggs, its clear that logic and reason arent present in the argument to begin with. No need to pick on a small little detail like that

blitz

Pro Bowler
#27 : August 17, 2009, 09:37:53 PM

Mahan is all that needs to be said.  Put some freakin leather on a guy please.

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#28 : August 17, 2009, 09:36:55 PM

Ball security? Yea you could criticize that, if you wnat to overlook the jailbreak from the DL and the facemask. McCown still shouldve held onto that ball though

So there's the example of at least one bad play McCown made. Slappy.

/thread

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#29 : August 17, 2009, 09:42:14 PM

This is the common criticism of MCown yesterday. I kind of felt the same way, until I actually had a chance to rewatch the game and break down everything that was going on rather than just following the football.

To be honest it really doesnt matter, because the coaches and players do film study and that is where it becomes crystal clear who was at fault, how the play shouldve been ran, and what exactly happened.

Like you said earlier, you couldn't really see whether or not WRs were open on the deep routes. Who's to say someone got open for a second but Luke just hesitated to pull the trigger. MCcown's job is supposed to establish himself as the starter. He didn't do that.

Luke did enough of nothing that Leftwich was able to state his case for starting with one lucky pass and a bunch of crappy passes. Heck, Johnson's 3/5 and one busted play looked better than McCown's 4 completions.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCown wasnt bad at all « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools