Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Peanut any one? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#30 : August 17, 2009, 10:07:55 AM

Ward was a backup, and that was the reason he had a good ypc average and a good ammount of yards.

That doesn't make any sense at all.

Do all backups have that kind of YPC and yardage?

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

#31 : August 17, 2009, 10:10:21 AM

Ward was a backup, and that was the reason he had a good ypc average and a good ammount of yards.

Put him on the 06 bucs as a starter, and do you think he does the same? You would be out of your mind to think that.
Which is all the more reason to find merit in his work...the guy was a backup and played extremely well...

No, he did well because he played as a backup to the largest running back in nfl history, who wore the hell out of defenses, and made it easy for ward to come in and get some yards. Also, the giants had the best run blocking o-line in the league. Don't forget that the backups are usually the ones who get the draw plays on 3rd and longs, which greatly increase the ypc average. I still remember when pittman had a 6.2 ypc average one year while behind caddy.

Any running back is going to do well in the position that ward was in last year. I expect for bradshaw to do the same.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#32 : August 17, 2009, 10:14:26 AM

I still remember when pittman had a 6.2 ypc average one year while behind caddy.

Do you also remember that was with 70 carries, as opposed to the 182 carries Ward had last season?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#33 : August 17, 2009, 10:14:59 AM

Put him on the 06 bucs as a starter, and do you think he does the same? You would be out of your mind to think that.
Which is all the more reason to find merit in his work...the guy was a backup and played extremely well...

No, he did well because he played as a backup to the largest running back in nfl history, who wore the hell out of defenses, and made it easy for ward to come in and get some yards. Also, the giants had the best run blocking o-line in the league. Don't forget that the backups are usually the ones who get the draw plays on 3rd and longs, which greatly increase the ypc average. I still remember when pittman had a 6.2 ypc average one year while behind caddy.

Any running back is going to do well in the position that ward was in last year. I expect for bradshaw to do the same.
Mike Alstott.

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

#34 : August 17, 2009, 10:16:16 AM

I still remember when pittman had a 6.2 ypc average one year while behind caddy.

Do you also remember that was with 70 carries, as opposed to the 182 carries Ward had last season?

lol that isn't even that much of a difference. I could see pittman easily getting that many carry's and still having a great ypc average. Especially behind the best o-line in the league, and a 6'5 260 pound monster.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#35 : August 17, 2009, 10:26:53 AM

lol that isn't even that much of a difference. I could see pittman easily getting that many carry's and still having a great ypc average. Especially behind the best o-line in the league, and a 6'5 260 pound monster.

That's over 110 carries and 589 yards, that's quite a bit of a difference.

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

#36 : August 17, 2009, 10:32:47 AM

That's over 110 carries and 589 yards, that's quite a bit of a difference.

110 more carry's isn't that much of a difference. If ward was a feature back who recieved over 300 carry's, than you would have a point. Also, that 589 more yards brings his ypc average down to much less than pittmans. Add that to the fact that he ran behind the best o-line in the league, while pittman ran behind one of the worst. And that pittman ran behind caddy, while ward ran behind a defensive lineman sized running back.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#37 : August 17, 2009, 11:22:34 AM

Dude, you're not even close on this one.  The more carries a RB gets, the harder it is for him to keep his YPC high.

2008 Derrick Ward (1025 yards in 182 carries for a 5.6 YPC) >>>>> 2005 Michael Pittman (436 yards in 70 carries for a 6.1 YPC)

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#38 : August 17, 2009, 01:55:16 PM

Does anyone remember what Peanut writes on the bottom of his sneaker before each game?  I'd love to know again.

He is just to small and fast for those lineman to find him.  I love him.  He should definitely be in the mix...even as a decoy!  He can catch too.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#39 : August 17, 2009, 02:21:32 PM

Dude, you're not even close on this one. The more carries a RB gets, the harder it is for him to keep his YPC high.

2008 Derrick Ward (1025 yards in 182 carries for a 5.6 YPC) >>>>> 2005 Michael Pittman (436 yards in 70 carries for a 6.1 YPC)
He is dead wrong, but he ain't gonna admit that he might have learned something for future reference...ha ha!

TheGladiator

Pro Bowler

#40 : August 17, 2009, 02:33:36 PM

Mike Alstott.

I thought it was Mark Alstott?

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#41 : August 17, 2009, 04:15:19 PM

...even as a decoy!

He's NOT a full-time guy, but I'd try to sneek him the ball at least 5 times a game.

TheGladiator

Pro Bowler

#42 : August 17, 2009, 04:29:41 PM

...even as a decoy!

He's NOT a full-time guy, but I'd try to sneek him the ball at least 5 times a game.

WTH is that signature pic?!  LOL!

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#43 : August 18, 2009, 12:30:42 AM

...even as a decoy!

WTH is that signature pic?! LOL!

I found a giraffe climbing a tree when I typed in the words "scared" on my browser. It's supposed to be Luke climbing for his life from an angry mob. I'll tweek it more later on.

buccaneerbruce76

Starter

#44 : August 18, 2009, 01:15:21 AM

Did u seriously say that...? Ward is a slightly faster Graham period. Smith is more illusive and faster than both of them, he will get his touches on offense. You put Smith out in the open field and he is more dangerous than anybody currently in our backfield.

This "open field" mythos is typical of people who think that special teams means something on the real field. Different skill set and there's a reason that Allen Rossum, Dante Hall and even Devin Hester aren't electric as real players.  Ward has 41 cathes and a spiffy, for an RB, 9.4 ypc average. Don't tell me about Smith looking good against backups and scrubs. Ward has been productive as a receiver against the men who play in this league.

I never said Smith was a better all around back than Ward...Smith did farely well last year at RB in his breif stint he just couldn't hang on to the ball. Just cause I said Smith is more illusive and faster doesnt mean he's a better RB, you took the comment out of context.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Peanut any one? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools