Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A key amino acid needed for life found in comet « previous next »
Page: 1

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

: August 18, 2009, 08:16:31 AM

A NASA space probe ("Stardust") collected dust from the tail of comet "Wild 2" and sent the canister back to Earth. Scientists discovered that the dust contained microscopic traces of the amino acid glycine, a fundamental building block of proteins.

The find provides strong evidence that at least some of the ingredients for life on Earth may have arrived here from outer space. And also proves that the building blocks of life are prevalent in the universe, not just on Earth.

"The discovery of glycine in a comet supports the idea that the fundamental building blocks of life are prevalent in space, and strengthens the argument that life in the universe may be common rather than rare," said Carl Pilcher, the director of the NASA Astrobiology Institute in California, which co-funded the research.

http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSTRE57H02I20090818

bucsense

Practice Squad

#1 : August 18, 2009, 08:29:50 AM

More with interest cyber.........

I guess I'll pop another tab of LSD I stole from Timothy Leary back in the '60s and do another space walk for more info....

Too much research concerning where we came from, and not enough research on where we're headed....

I need more mushrooms!

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 18, 2009, 11:04:37 AM

Comets make the baby jesus cry...

Seriously though, nice article.  Thanks for posting. 

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#3 : August 18, 2009, 01:46:48 PM

Right where God left it... hmmm

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A key amino acid needed for life found in comet « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools