Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2009 Schedule Breakdown « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

LFO

Hall of Famer

#75 : September 07, 2009, 12:45:59 PM

I wasn't overly impressed with Robinson against UGA.  11-22 for 135, did have the 2 TD's to Bryant.  The long TD was a nice deep ball, credit for that.  Also, they did win the game so that counts for something. 

But I do think it shows, these Big 12 guys are padding their stats vs. weak defenses so it's really hard to tell who's who.  Robinson was a little better than Cox, who was pretty bad in his first start, albeit (allegedly) he had the flu.  He was just 15-30 for 162, 1 TD and 1 INT. 

I'm never sad when Georgia loses, but I suspect they will get better as their new QB/RB/WR get some more experience. 

#76 : September 07, 2009, 12:48:29 PM

Yeah that Baylor QB is really good. Too bad he is suck on a **CENSORED**ty team. Put him on Florida, Oklahoma,etc.. And he is Heisman candidate

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#77 : September 07, 2009, 04:25:15 PM

OK State ran the ball 46 times, and Robinson had 9 of those carries for 39 yards - and the other TD.  I don't think any QB is going to light up the stat sheet through the air when their teams runs the ball that much.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#78 : September 07, 2009, 04:40:27 PM

OK State ran the ball 46 times, and Robinson had 9 of those carries for 39 yards - and the other TD.  I don't think any QB is going to light up the stat sheet through the air when their teams runs the ball that much.

Nobody asked him to light up the stat sheet, but a lot of the running had to do with the fact they were fairly ineffective passing the ball outside of 1 big play.  The pass game was not working for the most part, which led to the run heavy attack. 

Running 46 times also does not take away the fact he was only 50%, and his YPA was woefully low.  Completing only 11 of 22 passes for 135 yards is not very good no matter how you slice it, especially considering 45 came on 1 pass.  Outside of the one deep ball, it was dink and dunk and really he wasn't even accurate doing that, 

Hey, OSU won and all the credit for that, but Zach Robinson was not impressive at all.  Something tells me though he'll be back to slinging it around the next few weeks vs. Houston, Rice, and Grambling St., and then continue vs. the Big 12 schedule...

Hey, I guess maybe he just could have had a bad game.  It happens.  I did say I would wait and see how he looked vs. Georgia, and after watching I am not convinced he is nothing more than a product of a good system in a weak conference defensively. 

LFO

Hall of Famer

#79 : September 07, 2009, 04:42:51 PM

Yeah that Baylor QB is really good. Too bad he is suck on a **CENSORED**ty team. Put him on Florida, Oklahoma,etc.. And he is Heisman candidate

Did he do well?  I didn't get to watch the game so I am not sure.  I do see they beat Wake, but his numbers were nothing special...15-24 136 and a TD.  I do see he is only 19, so he has a lot of time left to grow.  I haven't seen much of him I am going to try and find some games and watch them. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#80 : September 07, 2009, 04:53:14 PM

I don't think anybody expected Robinson to light up a SEC defense, but it's unrealistic not to factor in the running game when they ran it 46 times for over 170 yards.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#81 : September 07, 2009, 05:05:54 PM

I don't think anybody expected Robinson to light up a SEC defense, but it's unrealistic not to factor in the running game when they ran it 46 times for over 170 yards.

It's all relative, and despite the increased running attack (which no doubt was because of the ineffective passing game), his % was poor as well as YPA.  Can't blame the running game for that.  One could argue that those numbers are even worse when you consider, given the heavy run game, passing should have been easier. 

Regardless, the point was it's hard to compare Robinson to other SEC QB's as the numbers are going to be skewed due to the defensive differences between the two conferences.  It was argued that Robinson was better than other SEC QB's based on last years numbers, when reality is IMO they just appear better because he beats up on poor defenses.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#82 : September 07, 2009, 05:14:17 PM

(which no doubt was because of the ineffective passing game),

They ran it because they could, and that was their gameplan.  Go look at the play by play.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#83 : September 07, 2009, 05:23:49 PM

(which no doubt was because of the ineffective passing game),

They ran it because they could, and that was their gameplan.  Go look at the play by play.

I watched the game. 

I am sure that if they had more success with the passing game, they would have thrown more...that is who they are.  They weren't killing it with the run game, but Georgia was struggling to move the ball on their own, and OSU just grinded it out to minimize the mistakes, knowing Georgia was even more inadequate.  It did work, as UGA had 3 TO's to 0 for OSU.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#84 : September 07, 2009, 05:34:30 PM

Then you remember the playcalling, especially early.

1st quarter:

run, run, run, run, pass, pass
run, run, run, run, run, pass, pass, pass

2nd quarter:
run, pass, run, run, pass
run, run, run, pass, pass, run
pass, pass, pass (TD)
run, run, run (FG)

As you can see, their gameplan was to run the ball right out of the gate.  Had nothing to do with the passing game.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#85 : September 07, 2009, 05:38:24 PM

Then you remember the playcalling, especially early.

1st quarter:

run, run, run, run, pass, pass
run, run, run, run, run, pass, pass, pass

2nd quarter:
run, pass, run, run, pass
run, run, run, pass, pass, run
pass, pass, pass (TD)
run, run, run (FG)

As you can see, their gameplan was to run the ball right out of the gate.  Had nothing to do with the passing game.

And it doesn't change the fact he put up pedestrian numbers....the number of attempts does not change his poor completion % nor his weak YPA.  In fact, they look even worse considering the emphasis on running. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#86 : September 07, 2009, 05:41:17 PM

LOL, ok.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#87 : September 24, 2009, 10:26:44 PM

Neither Ryan Mallet nor Stephen Garcia had issues lighting up UGA defense. 

Ryan Mallet has been everything I thought he'd be so far.  He may surpass Snead as 2nd Best in SEC.  The guy looks legit.

It will be interesting to see if he can hold his own against a fierce Bama team.  His OL isn't great, so I could see him struggling a bit against a stout Bama DL.  Should be good to watch. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#88 : September 24, 2009, 10:44:47 PM

Arkansas ran the ball almost half of the time OSU did, 46 times to 24 times.  Mallet was great, I'm not saying otherwise, but it's clear ARK and OSU went about their business very differently vs. UGA.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#89 : September 24, 2009, 10:58:33 PM

Arkansas ran the ball almost half of the time OSU did, 46 times to 24 times.  Mallet was great, I'm not saying otherwise, but it's clear ARK and OSU went about their business very differently vs. UGA.

True.

But Mallett also had a gaudy 10.5 YPA to 6.1 for Zach. 

I think Right now, Mallett is the better QB. 
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2009 Schedule Breakdown « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools