Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "No coddling of VIck" - AJC « previous next »
Page: 1

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

: February 12, 2007, 07:44:51 PM

'No coddling of Vick'
New offensive coordinator says QB 'excited' about audible freedom

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/12/07

Falcons quarterback Michael Vick may be the team's most recognizable and highly paid player but the new coaching staff, led by head coach Bobby Petrino, could care less.

"There will be no coddling of Michael Vick," offensive coordinator Hue Jackson said in an exclusive interview with the AJC Monday. "We're not going to coddle Michael Vick. This is not a demerit system where we say, 'Okay we're going to deal with this guy this way and this guy that way.' We're going to coach them all hard and he knows that. We have an expectation of him and I think he'll be the first to tell you that I'm not afraid to say anything to him and I'm not afraid to say anything to anyone on this offense.

"There is an expectation and that's what we're going to get. I don't care what the position is. That's the way we see it and that's the way we're going to deal with it."

Vick was not available for comment.

Jackson, hired from Cincinnati, where he was the Bengals' wide receivers coach, said he speaks with Vick every two days and the quarterback is eager to start learning the new offensive system.

Petrino and Jackson said Vick will be allowed to audible at the line of scrimmage and that the quarterback is excited about the change. Vick was not allowed to alter a run play to a pass or a pass to a run under the previous coaching staff, headed by Jim Mora and offensive coordinator Greg Knapp.

"He is very excited almost to a point where he's, "Give me all the information now,'" Jackson said. "He's chomping at the bit. Our expectation is our quarterback is the extension of us and he's the guy running the show. He should get it all and he should be able to handle that. We expect our quarterback to do more than anybody on this football team. He should do more. He's going to hit the right calls. He has to hit the right calls."

Translation, he's been coddled his entire NFL career, no more. This is the make or break season for VIck, IMO. If he doesn't develop in this system he's a goner. I actually think the Petrino and gang are hopeful Vick gets it but not optimistic. This actually leaves them in a better position to dump his ass when he struggles, again, throwing the pilll.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#1 : February 12, 2007, 07:47:47 PM

He'll now get to show his smarts...or lack there of.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 12, 2007, 10:26:10 PM

Agree with all that. I love what the Falcons are doing with him and finally someone has the guts -- or Blank's blessing -- to put it all on Vick. The time has come to put up or shut up and we all will see the real Vick once and for all this year.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#3 : February 12, 2007, 10:27:34 PM

I think we've already seen "the real Vick." LOL!

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 12, 2007, 10:30:11 PM

If you've seen that Karen, then maybe a visit to the free clinic is in order!  ;D

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#5 : February 12, 2007, 10:38:18 PM

If you've seen that Karen, then maybe a visit to the free clinic is in order! ;D
Not personally! :o

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 12, 2007, 10:40:48 PM

Karen Mexico. That has a nice ring to it!  ;)

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#7 : February 12, 2007, 11:17:55 PM

Karen Mexico. That has a nice ring to it! ;)
Aargh! He's such a moron.

gone

Hall of Famer
#8 : February 12, 2007, 11:54:17 PM

Lol, they're gonna let him audible.  I can see that working...

goto11

Starter
#9 : February 13, 2007, 09:53:23 AM

A whole game of quarterback draws.  It's coming.

watson

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 13, 2007, 11:53:25 AM

Lol, they're gonna let him audible. I can see that working...
I can see Monte sitting in his office drawing up plans to further disguise his defense and cause Ron Mexico further confusion. 

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

gone

Hall of Famer
#11 : February 13, 2007, 12:37:16 PM

Lol, they're gonna let him audible. I can see that working...
I can see Monte sitting in his office drawing up plans to further disguise his defense and cause Ron Mexico further confusion. 
He doesn't need to.  Vick can't read a standard D, why waste your time trying to confuse someone who is already totally lost?

I can see a stacked box, Vick audibles into a run up the gut, then publicly calls out his O-Line for not blocking well enough...
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "No coddling of VIck" - AJC « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools