Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Favre N' Harvin « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler
#45 : August 20, 2009, 11:30:53 PM

Never said that. My stance is that while Favre is an obvious upgrade from Rosenfels, Jackson, Leftwich, and McCown and the Vikings will undoubtedly have a more successful season than the Bucs, he throws too many interceptions to carry a team to the Super Bowl, so at the end of the day he'll be watching the big game from his couch just like all of Tampa Bay's players.
Its also a tad premature to say our players will be watching from the couch

That's why the games are played.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  I think they have a good shot though with Favre, as he won't need to carry the team given a capable RB. 

I think it's a tad premature though to say they'll be on the couch....I think they have as good of a shot as anyone in the NFC...in fact, I'd probably put them as a top 5 contender...far better than what we have. 

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#46 : August 20, 2009, 11:36:41 PM

Where does Favre put the vikings in the NFC? 3rd best team? I think the G-men are the class of the NFC.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#47 : August 21, 2009, 05:46:34 AM

It's mostly really good marketing - but in Minnesota's weak NFC North - it may be all they need.

For a year...and if they're ok with a first round exit...at the MOST

Incomparable sig by Incognito

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#48 : August 21, 2009, 09:18:51 AM

I think it's a tad premature though to say they'll be on the couch....I think they have as good of a shot as anyone in the NFC...in fact, I'd probably put them as a top 5 contender...far better than what we have. 
Of course it is better than what we have. The Vikings overall had better than what we have last week pre-Favre, too. But top 5 in the NFC doesn't mean much. The Bucs were top 7 in the NFC last season and we saw how far that got them. Once you get to the playoffs everything starts over and having a QB that takes care of the ball becomes of the utmost importance.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#49 : August 21, 2009, 03:30:53 PM

If I were a GM, I'd be interested in him just for the ticket sales.

Favre's contract is for $12,000,000.

The Vikes have already sold 3,200 season tickets. I looked on their website and the price of season tickets ranges from 980-400. Let's say the average season ticket price is 700. 3200*700 = $2,240,000.

You have to figure in Favre memorabilia sold and also single game tickets, but I doubt it amounts to $12,000,000.

There are other figures you haven't added to that as well, so the return would be higher than what you stated.

Not to mention, EVERYONE and their brother will want to go see Favre, read Favre, and buy Favre. The guy IS the media in the NFL right now. They aren't paying for his "talent", they're paying for the media coverage they'll get. It's just a bonus if he plays well.

But you might be right, they may never break even on this deal, so there really MUST be BF-love in Minnie. If they can at least get to PO's they MIGHT break even with merchandise sales alone though. Personally, I think he's going to stink up the place like he did with the Jets.

shutdabucup

Second String

#50 : August 21, 2009, 07:01:40 PM

Favre obviously has had an amazing career. I have always enjoyed watching Favre play. That said, enough is enough, the guy is washed up and it's time to let go.

I hear that Minnesota signed him quickly so they could beat the deadline for cash for clunkers.

bigbuc345

Pro Bowler

#51 : August 21, 2009, 07:11:39 PM

Brett the Diva loves his attention. I think he is going to end up hurt unfortunately the guy WAS great to watch.

duanet75

Pro Bowler
#52 : August 21, 2009, 07:32:52 PM

Never said that. My stance is that while Favre is an obvious upgrade from Rosenfels, Jackson, Leftwich, and McCown and the Vikings will undoubtedly have a more successful season than the Bucs, he throws too many interceptions to carry a team to the Super Bowl, so at the end of the day he'll be watching the big game from his couch just like all of Tampa Bay's players.

That's why the games are played.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  I think they have a good shot though with Favre, as he won't need to carry the team given a capable RB. 

There fun to play with in Madden.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#53 : August 22, 2009, 12:36:28 PM

I think it's a tad premature though to say they'll be on the couch....I think they have as good of a shot as anyone in the NFC...in fact, I'd probably put them as a top 5 contender...far better than what we have.�
Of course it is better than what we have. The Vikings overall had better than what we have last week pre-Favre, too. But top 5 in the NFC doesn't mean much. The Bucs were top 7 in the NFC last season and we saw how far that got them. Once you get to the playoffs everything starts over and having a QB that takes care of the ball becomes of the utmost importance.

Doesn't mean much? 

AZ was an afterthought in last year's playoffs, until they went to the Super Bowl.  Pitt won the Super Bowl a few years ago as the 6th seed.  The Giants won the Super Bowl as the 5 seed.  There are more, I am sure, just those popped in my head.

Getting to the dance is all that matters.  After that, anything can happen.  We didn't make the playoffs last year so obviously it meant nothing. 

Favre has long been on teams where he is asked to make all the plays.  Having a horse like AP (with a nice backup as well) and a guy like Percy who is capable of making plays from multiple spots will take a lot of the pressure off of Favre.  He won't have to force as much IMO and will be better for it.  I don't think he is going to throw near as much, which will give him a better shot at staying healthy and minimizing the mistakes. 

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#54 : August 22, 2009, 02:43:52 PM

I think it's a tad premature though to say they'll be on the couch....I think they have as good of a shot as anyone in the NFC...in fact, I'd probably put them as a top 5 contender...far better than what we have.�

Getting to the dance is all that matters. After that, anything can happen. We didn't make the playoffs last year so obviously it meant nothing.

There are so many people on this MB, and I know who they are, that have said that getting into the playoffs doesn't mean anything, because we would just get bounced anyways...so if anyone who has said this is reading, STHU!!

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#55 : August 22, 2009, 07:29:58 PM

FavunHarvin?

Are they getting:

or this:

Incomparable sig by Incognito
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Favre N' Harvin « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools