Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The question was: Why has the running game improved so much the past two weeks? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« : October 16, 2006, 08:49:13 PM »

I tuned in to the Gruden coach's show this evening. T.J. Rives posed the question: Why has the running game gotten so much better the past two weeks? Gruden's answers, offered very quickly and in this order:

1. We're throwing the ball better;
2. We now have a QB who is a a bigger threat to defenses;
3. The new QB forces opposing defenses to "play us honest";
4. Joseph and Trueblood are helping out;
5. Cadillac Williams is an outstanding RB.

Not only did the change at QB show that the batted balls problem shouldn't have been laid at the feet of the OL, but as stated several weeks ago, the change at QB was going to be a big factor in improving the running game. In the Jon Gruden offense, as with other variations of the WCO, the short and intermediate passing game and mobility at the QB position is important to propelling the run game.

Earlier in the program, Gruden talked about how important Gradkowski's mobility is to the offense. He commented on Bruce being able to get 19-20 yards a game on his own, which translates into about 320 yards over the season and about 18-19 first downs.  Coach stated that the extra mobility at the QB position was something that "we've needed around here for a long, long time".

Like I said, there were those in the Bucs organization who would have liked to have seen Gradkowski starting from day one. Without naming names, let me just say that one of those people may have (cough, cough) the initials of PH.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
« #1 : October 16, 2006, 09:01:51 PM »

wow, gruden is throwing simms under the bus in a serious way for the failures of this offense.  simms very well may deserve it, but you don't often see a coach publicly pinning a team failure on a single person like that. i know he's trying to really promote gradkowski, but he's making simms look really bad. i guess it's kind of tough to talk about your team's sudden ability to move the ball  without mentioning your QB change, though.

SamoaJoeBucFan

Starter

« #2 : October 16, 2006, 09:04:08 PM »

Wow, he really threw Chris under the bus in that one.  Rightfully so, seeing as we have looked loads better with Grads at QB.  The O-line looks very much improved also.  Lots of time for Grads to sit in that pocket and throw the football.  I have to agree with everything Gru said in this one.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #3 : October 16, 2006, 09:05:28 PM »

wow, gruden is throwing simms under the bus in a serious way for the failures of this offense.  simms very well may deserve it, but you don't often see a coach publicly pinning a team failure on a single person like that. i know he's trying to really promote gradkowski, but he's making simms look really bad. i guess it's kind of tough to talk about your team's sudden ability to move the ball  without mentioning your QB change, though.

Well, he never said "Simms sucks". He's just stating fact. Simms was never his guy, he's not the right fit for his offense, and I don't think there is much debate over the fact that Gradkowski is much more mobile than any of the previous starters under Gruden: Simms, Griese, or Johnson.

Oh, and to be fair, he made it clear that he wasn't happy about Gradkowski missing "about 5 to 7 opportunities" to make good plays downfield in the passing game.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #4 : October 16, 2006, 09:10:26 PM »

I tuned in to the Gruden coach's show this evening. T.J. Rives posed the question: Why has the running game gotten so much better the past two weeks? Gruden's answers, offered very quickly and in this order:

1. We're throwing the ball better;
2. We now have a QB who is a a bigger threat to defenses;
3. The new QB forces opposing defenses to "play us honest";
4. Joseph and Trueblood are helping out;
5. Cadillac Williams is an outstanding RB.

Not only did the change at QB show that the batted balls problem shouldn't have been laid at the feet of the OL, but as stated several weeks ago, the change at QB was going to be a big factor in improving the running game. In the Jon Gruden offense, as with other variations of the WCO, the short and intermediate passing game and mobility at the QB position is important to propelling the run game.

Earlier in the program, Gruden talked about how important Gradkowski's mobility is to the offense. He commented on Bruce being able to get 19-20 yards a game on his own, which translates into about 320 yards over the season and about 18-19 first downs.  Coach stated that the extra mobility at the QB position was something that "we've needed around here for a long, long time".

Like I said, there were those in the Bucs organization who would have liked to have seen Gradkowski starting from day one. Without naming names, let me just say that one of those people may have (cough, cough) the initials of PH.

I am not suprised.  The WCO's as you pointed out with mobile QB's tend to see more of a well balanced attack and enjoy greater offensive success.  Consider Philly the rare exception becuase Reid has a fetish for throwing the ball so much.  But even then their offense has produced points and yards the last few weeks.  Their defense has been their achilles heel.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #5 : October 16, 2006, 09:10:43 PM »

I am not sure what good comes from the Coach offering such comments.  That is the second time in a week - first the D and now Simms.  I believe this is a bad habit for a coach that wants to lead a successful team to bet into.  IMHO he needs to stop this kinda of "entertainment" with the press/media  

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #6 : October 16, 2006, 09:19:23 PM »

I am not sure what good comes from the Coach offering such comments.  That is the second time in a week - first the D and now Simms.  I believe this is a bad habit for a coach that wants to lead a successful team to bet into.  IMHO he needs to stop this kinda of "entertainment" with the press/media 

What the hell? The guy asks the question: "Why such a big improvement in the running game?" and what is he supposed to say? Tell the truth or make something up? People around here got sick and tired of Dungy answering just about every question with "we've just got to execute better" and "we've got to get back to fundamentals" instead of coming out and stating the root of the problems. Now Gruden's going to get criticized for answering truthfully instead of trying to dance around it?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #7 : October 16, 2006, 09:21:45 PM »

Well Gruden called out the defense and they responded.  If you ask me if a player or a unit is not playing up to their potential a swfit kick in the rear once and a while may be in order.  Then again I am a crazy.  :o ;D :D

TURBO

Hall of Famer

« #8 : October 16, 2006, 09:44:56 PM »

What the hell? The guy asks the question: "Why such a big improvement in the running game?" and what is he supposed to say? Tell the truth or make something up? People around here got sick and tired of Dungy answering just about every question with "we've just got to execute better" and "we've got to get back to fundamentals" instead of coming out and stating the root of the problems. Now Gruden's going to get criticized for answering truthfully instead of trying to dance around it?

DUNG-y didn't know the root of the problems, that is why he gave those patented answers...

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #9 : October 16, 2006, 09:54:17 PM »

We all know Gruden didn't draft Simms, and it is no secret he was struggling with the offense.  Grads is flavor of the month, but I think Gruden could compliment the kid without bashing Simms.  In the press conference this morning he went out of his way to mention the batted passes.

Good leaders gain the trust of all thier men, and you don't do that by publically criticising them.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

« #10 : October 16, 2006, 10:44:48 PM »

I dont agree MJS.  Sometimes guys need to be called out it builds accountability.  Maybe its just my feelings towards Simms, but I do believe it was his fault we struggled the way we did.  Of course the OL and the coach became the goat on the whole issue, Gruden should be able to give credit and give blame where its due.  I understand it doesnt need to be done in the media, but Simms sucked.  So did the D.  It wasnt a secret.

What I guess i am saying is I dont care, I love gruden

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

gone

Hall of Famer
« #11 : October 17, 2006, 12:22:18 AM »

Odd that he'd come out and say it publicly.  Aside from some hardcore Simms fans here it was pretty clear for a while that he had a huge negative impact on the run, but still odd he'd say it publicly as the coach.  He doesn't need to boost the kids popularity, in general fans are hard for him, so I don't get it.  Maybe he's trying to build the line's confidence?  Or make a lineman trade more appealing?  Just don't see him saying something like that that isn't calculated.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #12 : October 17, 2006, 12:25:17 AM »

The defense is not giving up first drive insta-strikes.  It changes the complexion of the game, espescially since Gruden likes to abandon the run game at the first sign of losing.

Two new lineman, Trueblood not getting pummeled like Yatta.

Caddy has always had that kind of ability to make it happen.

Defense is playing better, allowing for more runs, since the Bucs aren't trailing by 2 or three scores...

gone

Hall of Famer
« #13 : October 17, 2006, 01:29:57 AM »

The defense is not giving up first drive insta-strikes.  It changes the complexion of the game, espescially since Gruden likes to abandon the run game at the first sign of losing.

Two new lineman, Trueblood not getting pummeled like Yatta.

Caddy has always had that kind of ability to make it happen.

Defense is playing better, allowing for more runs, since the Bucs aren't trailing by 2 or three scores...
And the D is playing better cuz they don't spend forever on the field cuz we aren't 3 and outing....
Circular reference.
But really the only big change in the last 2 games is Grads.  True was good in the saints game but not any better than Yatta was this year. 

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #14 : October 17, 2006, 01:31:36 AM »

And the D is playing better cuz they don't spend forever on the field cuz we aren't 3 and outing....
Circular reference.
But really the only big change in the last 2 games is Grads. True was good in the saints game but not any better than Yatta was this year.

If you can drop circular reference, then I can say Subjective.

LOL!

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The question was: Why has the running game improved so much the past two weeks? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools