Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: BUCS EXTEND QB COMPETITION ONE MORE WEEK « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 12

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#15 : August 24, 2009, 03:52:59 PM

Sad. This just tells me that Morris wants Leftwich to win the job but he hasn't done enough in the games to actually win it outright. I would much rather see the kid get the reps with the 1st team. This basically tells us that Leftwich will start week one but that he is getting the job by default more than by winning it.

I think its that he want Luke to win the job.

I think Raheem wants Leftwich to get the job, but can't sell it yet because of the disparity of numbers ... McCown has a 12% completion percentage advantage, a TD throw advantage, an advantage on third downs and a 30 point QB rating differential advantage.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#16 : August 24, 2009, 03:53:56 PM

We've all seen both the games. There is no clear-cut winner at this point. Last week everyone said Luke sucked. This week everyone says BL sucks. Rah saw both games just like we did, so he's letting the competition play out until it is obvious. What's so wrong about that?

vladin

Starter

#17 : August 24, 2009, 03:55:17 PM

No way.  He has plenty of ammo to award Luke the job today.  His problem is he doesn't have enough ammo to award Leftwich the job.

Maybe you don't understand how this works. You see, this isn't only a one-man decision. And if the staff wanted Leftwich to be the starter on opening day, all they have to do is come out and name him the starter. Period. End of story.

The fact that they haven't SHOULD actually tell you that they are truly making a sincere attempt to decide who gets the job. Extending the competition only HURTS Byron Leftwich in this situation, it doesn't help him -- Byron posted a passable performance while Luke posted a pretty darned good one. The pressure is now on Leftwich and if he screws up against Miami, the door is wide open for Luke to walk through.

Maybe too many people are accustomed to the head coach saying one thing despite doing another.

No of course not, here at One Buc we make all of our decisions together.  Which is why it's so hard to make a decision.

vladin

Starter

#18 : August 24, 2009, 03:57:21 PM

He has plenty of ammo to award Luke the job today.  His problem is he doesn't have enough ammo to award Leftwich the job.

Bingo.

He's the head coach. He can do whatever the hell he wants whenever the hell he wants. He doesn't need ammo to justify anything just like Gruden didn't need any to start Gradkowski over Rattay or a banged up Griese over Luke.

And we sure benefited from those decisions.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#19 : August 24, 2009, 03:57:28 PM

Sad. This just tells me that Morris wants Leftwich to win the job but he hasn't done enough in the games to actually win it outright. I would much rather see the kid get the reps with the 1st team. This basically tells us that Leftwich will start week one but that he is getting the job by default more than by winning it.

I think its that he want Luke to win the job.

I think Raheem wants Leftwich to get the job, but can't sell it yet because of the disparity of numbers ... McCown has a 12% completion percentage advantage, a TD throw advantage, an advantage on third downs and a 30 point QB rating differential advantage.

If he really wants Leftwich to have the job, he should end the farce and just announce him the winner.  

We'll have to keep a close eye on if Rah keeps all the starters in when Byron goes out.  It would be terribly unfair if the first team went out w/Byron.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#20 : August 24, 2009, 03:58:26 PM

We've all seen both the games. There is no clear-cut winner at this point. Last week everyone said Luke sucked. This week everyone says BL sucks. Rah saw both games just like we did, so he's letting the competition play out until it is obvious. What's so wrong about that?

There may be no obvious conclusion.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#21 : August 24, 2009, 03:59:31 PM

Things could be worse. We could be in Dallas where the owner makes all the decisions about who starts. Quincy Carter, anyone?

#22 : August 24, 2009, 04:02:29 PM

This tells me that Luke has closed the gap a bit and they need to see each guy get a little more time. A quarter and a half each would provide more opportunity for the coaches to determine how these guys are going to function in the new offense. Clearly this QB competition is for real, and truly open to someone winning it. If they'd have wanted Leftwich to be the starter, they could have simply named him that right here and now. Not doing so and also not intending to play Freeman early on proves that this is a real competition and that either one of those guys can take it.

Hopefully someone will put a stranglehold on the starter's position, even though that starting position is only for this year.

Well...it is not quite fair that one QB goes out with the 1st team players while the other goes out with players that may not even make the team....so I see it as Coach Morris wanting Leftwich to be the starter for this team! ...If we are to use logic....Morris started McCown on game 1, then Leftwich on game 2...after the two games...the best performer of the two even though close, I would have to say was McCown + McCown adds the play action level that Leftwich can't produce......& as far as the starting position being available for only 1 year.....ask Mr. Leinart how he feels about that ? or Mr. Quinn ? ........

Oh...one last thing...for all of you that like to say that Leftwich stretches the field .....How long was his longest completion to date ( in preseason).....24 Yards !!!

GenBrooks55

AcuraT

Starter

#23 : August 24, 2009, 04:04:23 PM

I think this is pretty simple.  You have Leftwich who was a backup in Pittsburgh, and a backup in Jacksonville his last year there.  You also have McCown, a backup in Tampa, and a backup in Cleveland.  If you add one backup to another backup what do you get?  No starter.  This has been the problem since day one when they traded away old man Garcia and it still exists today. Neither is the answer, short or long term.  You have a rookie, Josh Freeman, who shows flashes but also makes big mistakes (INTs) or overthrows most of his passes (did anyone but me see the guys jumping for almost every ball he threw against Jacksonville???)  

The Bucs do not have a real bona fide starter for 2009.  Whoever they pick will not be an answer for the upcoming season.  There is a reason that they could get Leftwich - no one else wanted him as a starter, just as a qualified backup.  McCown was already on the roster.  They both will show us flashes, but sustained consistant drives - that is not a possibiity.  The preseason is showing that already.  Half field drives are possible (50 yards or less for a TD).

I am not being negative, just pragmatic.  I wish and hope the best for 2009 but only expect a rebuilding year - and that is despite the fact I bought another year of DirecTV to watch every painful game, no matter how bad it gets (and I expect it to be pretty bad this year).

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#24 : August 24, 2009, 04:05:21 PM

Things could be worse. We could be in Dallas where the owner makes all the decisions about who starts. Quincy Carter, anyone?

Coach Morris has the final say, but the key decision makers are also all involved (Mark, Jagz, Coach Olson). The season doesn't start tomorrow, so I'm wondering why everyone has such a tough time with this staff trying to make the best decision. Leftwich had the lead, but based on this past game, Luke may have closed that gap. If so, then doesn't extending the competition make sense?

Maybe people are too used to being lied to.

#25 : August 24, 2009, 04:05:34 PM

Thanks DTG and SR

ALong13

Pro Bowler
#26 : August 24, 2009, 04:06:30 PM

Honestly I think this sets up Luke Well, Byron struggled last week with the starters, and Luke shined with the 2nd team, I think he could really show up well against the other teams 2nd string defense, and put him on top...

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#27 : August 24, 2009, 04:08:09 PM

Well...it is not quite fair that one QB goes out with the 1st team players while the other goes out with players that may not even make the team....so I see it as Coach Morris wanting Leftwich to be the starter for this team!

So far, both have played with the starters, and both will play with the starters next week. I don't see any unbalanced advantages there, unless the Dolphins pull their starters early in which case Luke gets the advantage.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#28 : August 24, 2009, 04:10:09 PM

Coach Morris has the final say, but the key decision makers are also all involved (Mark, Jagz, Coach Olson). The season doesn't start tomorrow, so I'm wondering why everyone has such a tough time with this staff trying to make the best decision. Leftwich had the lead, but based on this past game, Luke may have closed that gap. If so, then doesn't extending the competition make sense?

Maybe people are too used to being lied to.

I don't mind that it's taking him longer... I don't like the wishy washiness of it... Which I didn't take Raheem for until now.  If you remember correctly... he was telling us how important it was to have a starter by game 3... now.. maybe not so important.

Sounds team like the decision team is split.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#29 : August 24, 2009, 04:11:12 PM

Well...it is not quite fair that one QB goes out with the 1st team players while the other goes out with players that may not even make the team....so I see it as Coach Morris wanting Leftwich to be the starter for this team!

So far, both have played with the starters, and both will play with the starters next week. I don't see any unbalanced advantages there, unless the Dolphins pull their starters early in which case Luke gets the advantage.

I agree...The starters usually play well into the 3rd quarter in the 3rd preseason game. It's the game that most closely assimilates what the team is actually gonna look like.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: BUCS EXTEND QB COMPETITION ONE MORE WEEK « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools