Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: BUCS EXTEND QB COMPETITION ONE MORE WEEK « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#30 : August 24, 2009, 04:12:36 PM

I don't mind that it's taking him longer... I don't like the wishy washiness of it... Which I didn't take Raheem for until now. �If you remember correctly... he was telling us how important it was to have a starter by game 3... now.. maybe not so important.

Sounds team like the decision team is split.

Well, he can make a quick decision or a well-considered one, even if it means he had to break his own deadline. While some may look at it as being wishy-washy, in the long run it's probably the best thing, even if this is only as a placeholder QB.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#31 : August 24, 2009, 04:13:54 PM

I agree...The starters usually play well into the 3rd quarter in the 3rd preseason game. It's the game that most closely assimilates what the team is actually gonna look like.

Precisely. BTW, anybody catch Coach Morris giving Luke the fist bump this past game? I'm guessing LM gained more ground than I expected.

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
#32 : August 24, 2009, 04:16:18 PM

Sad. This just tells me that Morris wants Leftwich to win the job but he hasn't done enough in the games to actually win it outright. I would much rather see the kid get the reps with the 1st team. This basically tells us that Leftwich will start week one but that he is getting the job by default more than by winning it.

I think its that he want Luke to win the job.

I think Raheem wants Leftwich to get the job, but can't sell it yet because of the disparity of numbers ... McCown has a 12% completion percentage advantage, a TD throw advantage, an advantage on third downs and a 30 point QB rating differential advantage.

You're not just some random nutjob on a message board.   You're a journalist whose job it is to cover the Bucs.   Unless this is just some hunch of yours I'd ask for a list of reasons why you believe this to be true.    

He's the head coach.    He doesn't need to sell anyone anything at this point of the season.   It hasn't started yet.   It's not all on him to make the choice.    Anyone who has been paying attention and can string together words to form a sentence can make a case for either of the vets to start.   Just because Luke has better stats in the first two preseason games doesn't just make the job his.   It's clear that all training camp long Leftwich has been the better of the two, in practice.   He also hasn't had a bad performance in preseason.   Accuracy issues sure but nothing to clearly say he will do worse then Luke at this point.  

Prior to reading your statement I never much bought into the stuff your readers have said about PR being slanted or playing favorites.   When people would claim you made excuses and sucked up to Gruden or that you praise Clayton every offseason and act like he's not to blame for his poor performances year in and year out, I dismissed it.    Maybe I'm the fool though.   It's been clear, at least to me, that you've been pulling for McCown this year.    I don't want to come off like a knob, Scott, but your job is just to report facts with no bias or slant.   If it's a hunch or opinion you should label it that.   Don't get all Fox News on us.  

blitz

Pro Bowler
#33 : August 24, 2009, 04:17:13 PM

Who knows.  My guess is that Mark is working on a blockbuster trade that will shock us all

.   If these guys are that close, then it really doesn't matter who starts.   The results will be similar.    This is why most teams don't have a highly publicized QB competition.  It turns into a circus.

Who's number one.  The answer seems clear but then politics always enters the picture.

Passing Statistics
Player         Att Comp Yds Comp % TD INT Long Sack/Lost Rating
Byron Leftwich   26 12   124 46.2       1   0   24t     1/17   73.2
Luke McCown   17 10   70   58.8       2   0   17t       1/8   107.5

MBF

Hall of Famer

#34 : August 24, 2009, 04:17:58 PM

I read DTG's posts but if Rah really prefers Leftwich then this "competition" is farcical.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#35 : August 24, 2009, 04:19:30 PM

Besides who starts, there is an important decision to be made as to whether or not the loser even makes the team. Morris has already alluded to the fact that the 2nd, 3rd and possibly even 4th spot is up for grabs. Freeman's good decision making this past game may have put the loser of this two-man starting battle on the bubble.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#36 : August 24, 2009, 04:19:50 PM

Sad. This just tells me that Morris wants Leftwich to win the job but he hasn't done enough in the games to actually win it outright. I would much rather see the kid get the reps with the 1st team. This basically tells us that Leftwich will start week one but that he is getting the job by default more than by winning it.

I think Raheem wants Leftwich to get the job, but can't sell it yet because of the disparity of numbers ... McCown has a 12% completion percentage advantage, a TD throw advantage, an advantage on third downs and a 30 point QB rating differential advantage.

You're not just some random nutjob on a message board. � You're a journalist whose job it is to cover the Bucs. � Unless this is just some hunch of yours I'd ask for a list of reasons why you believe this to be true. � �

He's the head coach. � �He doesn't need to sell anyone anything at this point of the season. � It hasn't started yet. � It's not all on him to make the choice. � �Anyone who has been paying attention and can string together words to form a sentence can make a case for either of the vets to start. � Just because Luke has better stats in the first two preseason games doesn't just make the job his. � It's clear that all training camp long Leftwich has been the better of the two, in practice. � He also hasn't had a bad performance in preseason. � Accuracy issues sure but nothing to clearly say he will do worse then Luke at this point. �

Prior to reading your statement I never much bought into the stuff your readers have said about PR being slanted or playing favorites. � When people would claim you made excuses and sucked up to Gruden or that you praise Clayton every offseason and act like he's not to blame for his poor performances year in and year out, I dismissed it. � �Maybe I'm the fool though. � It's been clear, at least to me, that you've been pulling for McCown this year. � �I don't want to come off like a knob, Scott, but your job is just to report facts with no bias or slant. � If it's a hunch or opinion you should label it that. � Don't get all Fox News on us. �

When some one prefaces a statement with the words, "I think."... most people conclude that a person is stating their opinion.  I believe even journalists are allowed to have opinions.

vladin

Starter

#37 : August 24, 2009, 04:20:14 PM

I agree...The starters usually play well into the 3rd quarter in the 3rd preseason game. It's the game that most closely assimilates what the team is actually gonna look like.

Precisely. BTW, anybody catch Coach Morris giving Luke the fist bump this past game? I'm guessing LM gained more ground than I expected.

Yep, Luke almost dissed him by accident.

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
#38 : August 24, 2009, 04:21:26 PM

You're not just some random nutjob on a message board. � You're a journalist whose job it is to cover the Bucs. � Unless this is just some hunch of yours I'd ask for a list of reasons why you believe this to be true. � �

He's the head coach. � �He doesn't need to sell anyone anything at this point of the season. � It hasn't started yet. � It's not all on him to make the choice. � �Anyone who has been paying attention and can string together words to form a sentence can make a case for either of the vets to start. � Just because Luke has better stats in the first two preseason games doesn't just make the job his. � It's clear that all training camp long Leftwich has been the better of the two, in practice. � He also hasn't had a bad performance in preseason. � Accuracy issues sure but nothing to clearly say he will do worse then Luke at this point. �

Prior to reading your statement I never much bought into the stuff your readers have said about PR being slanted or playing favorites. � When people would claim you made excuses and sucked up to Gruden or that you praise Clayton every offseason and act like he's not to blame for his poor performances year in and year out, I dismissed it. � �Maybe I'm the fool though. � It's been clear, at least to me, that you've been pulling for McCown this year. � �I don't want to come off like a knob, Scott, but your job is just to report facts with no bias or slant. � If it's a hunch or opinion you should label it that. � Don't get all Fox News on us. �

When some one prefaces a statement with the words, "I think."... most people conclude that a person is stating their opinion. �I believe even journalists are allowed to have opinions.

I realize he said think.   I also "think" his job dictates it and the readers deserve a little bit of an explanation.   More then we'd expect from the average joe who says that.

When someone posts an article by John Ratface Clayton or that Yasinakas guy and they give an opinion with nothing to back it up everyone blows up and insults them....but since it was Scott Reynolds who just did it I should shut up and just go along with it and not ask for more?   Ok guy.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#39 : August 24, 2009, 04:22:04 PM

I read DTG's posts but if Rah really prefers Leftwich then this "competition" is farcical.

Stop and think about this for just a minute... if Coach Morris absolutely was dead set on Leftwich starting and he has the final say, what can he possibly gain from delaying an announcement -- especially after he'd publicly stated that he intended to name a starter after preseason game two?

This is common sense stuff. Coach Morris can name anyone the starter, at any time he chooses. If he absolutely wanted Leftwich to start on day one, he could have simply announced that. This isn't a Grudenesque QB competition here...

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#40 : August 24, 2009, 04:24:14 PM

I realize he said think.   I also "think" his job dictates it and the readers deserve a little bit of an explanation.   More then we'd expect from the average joe who says that.

I think SR is backing Luke in this race, but he's also allowed to state his opinion on the forum and I'm not going to call him on that. I also happen to disagree with his assessment, I really believe that this thing got extended because the competition truly is open, not because they're looking to let one particular guy build a stronger case. No case is needed.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#41 : August 24, 2009, 04:25:00 PM

Sounds like the decision team is split.

Agreed...

Hit-55

Starter

#42 : August 24, 2009, 04:25:05 PM

I think it is a TRUE competition and that is only a good thing. The more competition then they don't get relaxed. Both have had their moments. Now they face a good D with alot on the line. Time to see who wants it more. That's who we all want to get the job anyway. I am all for with ever one will be the best for us and I hope that is what everyone wants. Freeman isn't ready and it is too costly to just throw him in there if he is not ready. We would regret doing that for years to come..

Fire the cannons!!!

MBF

Hall of Famer

#43 : August 24, 2009, 04:25:42 PM

Stop and think about this for just a minute... if Coach Morris absolutely was dead set on Leftwich starting and he has the final say, what can he possibly gain from delaying an announcement -- especially after he'd publicly stated that he intended to name a starter after preseason game two?

This is common sense stuff. Coach Morris can name anyone the starter, at any time he chooses. If he absolutely wanted Leftwich to start on day one, he could have simply announced that. This isn't a Grudenesque QB competition here...

I get that. My post was in reference to SR's.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#44 : August 24, 2009, 04:28:37 PM

I get that. My post was in reference to SR's.

Ah, ok. Sorry!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: BUCS EXTEND QB COMPETITION ONE MORE WEEK « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools