Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Calling Teams about Trades « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 13

bucwildfan

Starter

: August 25, 2009, 11:50:48 PM

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/08/25/bucs-listening-to-offers-for-any-qb-but-freeman/

The Buccaneers have been contacting other teams this week to gauge interest in their quarterbacks after putting off a decision to name a starter, according to league sources.

Bucs coach Raheem Morris originally planned to name a starter after Saturday’s preseason game against the Jaguars, then postponed the decision for at least one more week. Veterans Byron Leftwich and Luke McCown have been competing for the job, with first-round draft pick Josh Freeman the quarterback of the future.

Two NFL sources said the Bucs have been calling teams, willing to listen to offers for Leftwich, McCown or second-year pro Josh Johnson, a player thought of highly internally but who likely wouldn’t have great trade value.

“They sounded like they’re willing to deal any one of those three,” one executive said. “They’re looking for someone to make the (starting quarterback) decision for them.”

Many in the organization have regarded Leftwich as the favorite for the job, but not much has separated him from McCown, who’s coming off his best outing of the summer. McCown threw two touchdown passes in the Bucs’ 24-23 preseason victory over the Jaguars.

Had Jon Gruden remained the Bucs’ coach, Johnson would have been a favorite to win the job, according to a team source.

The trade market for quarterbacks isn’t deep, but McCown and Leftwich do have starting experience. Neither player would be in position to start elsewhere coming in so late, however, and would need time to adjust to a new offense and surroundings.

The Bills, Packers, Bears and Saints are among the teams that have been closely monitoring backup quarterback possibilities.

OKC PAC

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 25, 2009, 11:53:14 PM

This is sad...

Bring back GRUDEN!!!

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 25, 2009, 11:56:59 PM

Wow...we can't make up our mind, so we'll let OTHER teams tell us who our starter is?

Sad indeed.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 26, 2009, 12:01:39 AM

What else do you expect from a 32 year old head coach and an inexperienced GM?

I'm not surprised at all.

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 26, 2009, 12:02:19 AM

lol league sources are always making fun of us

LFO

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 26, 2009, 12:03:35 AM

Interesting on the JJ comment.  Honestly, at this point I'd prefer JJ to start with Freeman backing up....eventually if JJ struggles go with Freeman.  Might as well see what the young guys have rather than known scrubs.  

I just hope JJ doesn't get cut in favor of McCown/Leftwich.  Sure, JJ may end up nothing, but we know Lefty and McCown are nothing.  Ok, maybe Lefty more than McCown.

TheGladiator

Pro Bowler

#6 : August 26, 2009, 12:14:29 AM

Ugh...I thought Raheem was doing a pretty good job until I heard him say that the QB choice "is a Raheem Morris decision" and now this...

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 26, 2009, 12:15:38 AM

Am I the only one who was happy to hear this. Lefty needs to go bye bye.

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 26, 2009, 12:21:34 AM

I never believe these "blah blah blah"one NFL exec said.  It is basically, I think this will wound good here so let me act like I have a source.  If you really have a source then put them on record.  If you can not put them on record then how do you know they are telling the truth?

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 26, 2009, 12:24:45 AM

I never believe these "blah blah blah"one NFL exec said.  It is basically, I think this will wound good here so let me act like I have a source.  If you really have a source then put them on record.  If you can not put them on record then how do you know they are telling the truth?

Not revealing your source is the first rule of journalism. If you have a source giving you tips from the inside, why would you out that source?

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 26, 2009, 12:26:44 AM

I have no problem with this at all. If the QB race is as close as what they say it is, then the logical solution is to trade the one that gives us the greatest trade value. They've said, I don't know how many times, that the starter is just a placeholder until they have Freeman ready. If I were Rah and Dominik I would be trying the same exact thing.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 26, 2009, 12:44:56 AM

Sure you do not want to out the source but in reality how does anybody know there really is a source?

I also think they should get what they can for who they can.  We already know the QB is going to be eventually.  Maybe we can get something for both of them. 

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 26, 2009, 12:45:41 AM

Stupid Idea in my opinion.

If we truely are preparing for the future then you go with JJ, McCown and Freeman.

Most upside, most potential.

No one is going to trade for Leftwich or McCown right now. Maybe next offseason if our starter has a Matt Cassel esque year but 2 weeks before the regular season?

child please...........

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#13 : August 26, 2009, 12:47:53 AM

McCown doesn't have a future if they plan on keeping JJ with Freemen.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 26, 2009, 12:56:06 AM

McCown doesn't have a future if they plan on keeping JJ with Freemen.

Neither McCown nor Leftwich have a future here. Freeman has been anointed the future by Raheem. JJ is trying to squeeze into the equation by being impressive in camp.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Calling Teams about Trades « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools