Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "God commands you to kill gays" - Fatihful Word Baptist Church « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

ranman

Pro Bowler
#30 : August 26, 2009, 12:41:55 PM

Mojo,
The beautiful thing about faith is that it isn't black and white.  The same Jesus that condemns the liars, cheats, and prostitues for what they did still loves them.  Invited them to dinner and even washed their feet.  Doesn't make sense if you are looking for a black and white type context.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#31 : August 26, 2009, 12:45:53 PM

Ever heard of the New Testament?

Are you stating that the New Testament completely invalidates the Old Testament?

No, that's not what I'm saying.

The Bible contradicts itself in many places. The New Testament is much more pertinent to a Christian's daily life than the Old Testament is. Only a very, very small percentage of Christians (and Jews for that matter) would put any stock in the verses you quoted - but don't let that you from your ignorance on the issue.

So, educate me, since you seem to have it all figured out...

If the preface of the religion is based on the word of god via the Bible, how can one pick and choose what is and isn't relevent. �Where in the New Testament does it say that god suddenly changed his mind about the old doctrine? �

When a child is young you set stringent rules about what it can and cannot do. The reason being is that they do not know what is right and wrong, and they do not know or fully understand what may or may not hurt them and others. As a child grows, these rules are relaxed. You allow the child to play in the front yard and not restrict them to the back yard. You don't however allow them play with a loaded gun regardless of their age. As that child grows into adulthood some of the rules imposed when they were young simply do not apply. That does not mean that imposing them at that time was any less legitimate.

Please reference the part of the Bible that says this.

ï¿½Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them...� Lev 1:2
�Speak unto the children of Israel, saying...� Lev 4:2
�Speak unto the children of Israel, saying...� Lev 11:2
�Speak unto the children of Israel, saying...� Lev 12:2
�Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them...� Lev 15:2
 ï¿½Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them...� Lev 27:2.

I'm not Jewish.

Romans 6:14
For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.

So, do you get to toss the 10 commandments out the window too?

Besides,

Matthew 5:17-20 states:

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#32 : August 26, 2009, 12:48:16 PM

Why make this loser popular? We all know there are idiots in the world. His beliefs are laughable. I know some" fags" that could whoop his ass.

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#33 : August 26, 2009, 12:53:46 PM

So, do you get to toss the 10 commandments out the window too?

Besides,

Matthew 5:17-20 states:

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

With regards to the 10 Commandments, not everything in the Old Testament is a bunch of broo ha ha, plus Jesus emphasises the validity of the 10 Commandments.

With regards to your quote, have you given any thought to what Jesus is saying?

spartan

Hall of Famer
#34 : August 26, 2009, 01:05:52 PM

Where in the New Testament does it say that god suddenly changed his mind about the old doctrine?

How can you put so much stock and faith in something and yet ignore wide portions of it as not being relevant to modern life?

Funny enough Mojo just quoted it but he doesn't realize it.

It is not so much as ignoring stuff because you don't think it's relevant, or it hits the 'too tough to do" basket, it is more of an exercise in realizing the Bible matured and reading some of the stuff Jesus said with regards to the old Testament. For example:

Matthew 24:14
And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

It doesn't say convert all to Judaism Therefore there will be aspects of Toranic law that simply are not relevant to those of non Jewish birth. i.e. Not eating ham, animal sacrifice etc.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#35 : August 26, 2009, 01:06:24 PM

njligernj,

Trust me, it's no cop-out.  Ghostrider/Mojo has spent more time on here trying to proof that Christians are sheepish idiots and trying to display his vast knowledge of the faith and what it is about, while displaying the exact opposite.

Where in the New Testament does it say that god suddenly changed his mind about the old doctrine?

Jesus preached love of all people, sinners included.  There is no Christian alive that reconcile Jesus' teaching with killing people because they are gay.

How can you put so much stock and faith in something and yet ignore wide portions of it as not being relevant to modern life?

I don't ignore them per say, I put them in the context they are in while also using the context of Jesus' teachings.  Personally as a Christian, I align with Jesus' teachings more so than than the Old Testament.

I totally get why you'd want to ignore them: isn't there a part about not wearing mixed blend fabrics? growing beards? avoiding impure women? ... all things which would make daily life extremely difficult. However if I were to build a strong personal belief around something I don't know how I could reconcile the idea of just ignoring certain parts. There is an interesting book I read about a guy who interprets the bible literally -- very entertaining but an extremely difficult and time consuming way to live (The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A. J. Jacobs).

Plus, even if you accept that you should ignore parts, even then there is disagreement over want to ignore. You (probably) wear mixed fabrics without thinking about it (and most do) but then lots of people who ignore that part would quote scripture to comdemn gays (while others would again ignore that part as well). Internet arguments and insults aside it is genuinely confusing.

Even among those who condemn homosexuality there are more contradictions. They (mostly) don't suggest death. So you can quote scripture to say they shouldn't be allowed to get married but then say "but we aren't actually going to kill you because that would be too much" ... but that's what it says to do. It's either right (so kill 'em) or it's wrong (so let 'em marry). The picking and choosing is honestly, all "trying to win arguments" aside, very confusing.

All of the differences in beliefs you list here are why there are so many (too many, IMO) denominations/factions of Christianity.  I'm not a big fan of organized religion myself, because of all the legalistic garbage involved with them

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#36 : August 26, 2009, 01:41:09 PM

More importantly, Keepon does it again!

spartan

Hall of Famer
#37 : August 26, 2009, 02:07:56 PM

Very unChristian thoughts are going through my mind :)

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#38 : August 26, 2009, 02:09:53 PM

And I speak for all Christians when I say you should be stoned to death, Spartan.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#39 : August 26, 2009, 02:32:48 PM

Not sure being beaten by melons isn't more appropriate .... just sayin'

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#40 : August 26, 2009, 02:54:19 PM

Not sure being beaten by melons isn't more appropriate .... just sayin'

LMAO!!  When it's my time, that's how I want to go out!  With a big smile on my face and motorboatin' marks on my cheeks  :P

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#41 : August 26, 2009, 03:12:39 PM

More importantly, Keepon does it again!

gotta protect my rep!

lol, that's a great gif - certainly a keeper

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#42 : August 26, 2009, 03:19:00 PM

Keepon, this is the best picture in picture I think I have ever seen.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#43 : August 26, 2009, 04:50:55 PM

The post is laughable....if killing off gays is what we are supposed to do because it's a sin, then what about the rest of us sinners?  Christians are sinners too; saved by the shed blood of Christ.  Christ said it best when he told the pharisee's to cast the first stone ye who is without sin.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#44 : August 26, 2009, 05:30:52 PM

This is the kind of crap that gets said when folks aren't paying attention.  Right out of Iran - but for the religious leader involved. 

Better they focus on something more natural in everyone's world... like this

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "God commands you to kill gays" - Fatihful Word Baptist Church « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools