Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who would have thunk it! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
: February 13, 2007, 11:47:19 PM

According to a poll conducted by a computer program, The Bucs Jon Gruden was ranked sixth out of entire league in making critical calls when needed during the 2006 season.  And look ma, it got us a 4-12 record!!

By the way, the Superbowl winning Colts were ranked #25th?!

www.zeusfootball.com

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#1 : February 13, 2007, 11:48:56 PM

Not working.

#2 : February 13, 2007, 11:53:23 PM

Doesn't suprise me, Gru like it or not, is a good coach, in crunch time he's cool under pressure, I'd like to know the rankings since 2002 all together / averaged out however just for the curious statiscian inside of me.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#3 : February 14, 2007, 12:00:26 AM

You got it when you clicked on it, Ether?

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#4 : February 14, 2007, 12:03:52 AM

The play-calling is far from the problem.. its the TERRIBLE execution.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#5 : February 14, 2007, 12:17:36 AM

Gru's system does work. We've probably all seen open recievers and exploited mismatches during the games. Although for the most part this season, not much came from those as passes were dropped, balls were thrown way off from the receiver, and all sorts of things.

vipmark

Starter
#6 : February 14, 2007, 12:42:19 AM

Bucsguru is right, the problem is lack of talent ( we new that would happen without draft picks and money) not play-calling. I new guru would figure it out.

rocketspeed

Practice Squad

#7 : February 14, 2007, 01:21:23 AM

lol VIP.

gone

Hall of Famer
#8 : February 14, 2007, 01:28:37 AM

According to a poll conducted by a computer program, The Bucs Jon Gruden was ranked sixth out of entire league in making critical calls when needed during the 2006 season.  And look ma, it got us a 4-12 record!!

By the way, the Superbowl winning Colts were ranked #25th?!

www.zeusfootball.com

Actually, a lot of us would agree with that.  Of course, there is the Tony/McKay-loving media brainfed horde that hates Jon, but many of us have argued time and again that he's very highly regarded by people who have no emotional attachment and aren't innundated by the Deumig lemming hate-points that are endlessly spouted.

All that aside, what program did they use, and where did the input come from?

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#9 : February 14, 2007, 08:38:38 AM

Great thread title--"Who woulda thunk it". I mean who woulda thunk, it would have taken Guru 860 posts to finally realize Gruden is a good playcaller.

#10 : February 14, 2007, 08:53:54 AM

The play-calling is far from the problem.. its the TERRIBLE execution.

Exactly...its funny the plays seemed to work with Simms and Rattay....

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : February 14, 2007, 08:58:42 AM

I find these types of things fascinating. What it really measures is how much of a risk taker each coach is more than a good coach because it is looking at gambling points and not all the things that happen in between those points. A coach may make the right call on 4th and 1 but they don't do anything to assess what they did on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down.

The logic they use isn't anything terribly new since for years people who look at the stats have always said that 4th and 1 at your foes 37 should be a go for it moment and not a punt for example. Here is their methodology:

"The 2006 ZEUS Critical Call Index (CCI) is an assessment of each NFL team's performance in making optimal decisions on fourth downs, PATs and kickoffs. We refer to these types of play-calling decisions as "critical" because they often have a great effect on the outcome of a game.....Suppose a team is facing fourth-and-1 at midfield. The correct call between punting and running is the play that will provide the higher expectation of winning the game on average. ZEUS plays the game to completion (hundreds of thousands of times) from that point forward in a virtual environment and tabulates the statistical results. Score, time on the clock, ball location, down, yards to go, and strengths and weaknesses of the opposing teams are all accurately considered. If ZEUS suggests the run is 2 percent GWC ("Game Winning Chance" expectation) better than the punt, this means that under identical conditions the running play, on average, will net two more victories than the punt in every 100 games played. A 100 percent GWC is equivalent to one full game."

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 14, 2007, 10:44:28 AM

Geez, could you imagine if he didn't make any right calls in crucual times, we may not have won any games

You must be accountable for your actions!

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#13 : February 14, 2007, 05:07:11 PM

Imagine what he'll do with young guys learning from their mistakes last year and getting some fresh talent too.

Where are my shades ;D

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#14 : February 14, 2007, 05:23:08 PM

what is that thing you do when you stumble accross a worthless topic??? CLICK!
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who would have thunk it! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools