Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tomlin:Ego's were part of the reason Bucs didn't repeat « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

DynaMike Glennon

Pro Bowler

: August 30, 2009, 10:00:04 PM

While being interviewed during the halftime show of Broncos/Bears, Tomlin was asked why the Bucs were not able to repeat going to the Super Bowl the following year. He stated that ego's were one of the main factors.
Could he have been insuating maybe Jon Gruden. It's funny when he
said that they showed a clip of Gruden hoisting the Lombardi trophy.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 30, 2009, 10:01:59 PM

He probably meant Sapp/Keyshawn, etc...

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 30, 2009, 10:03:15 PM

Sapp and Keyshawn

the big show

Second String

#3 : August 30, 2009, 10:04:43 PM

Rice, Sapp, Keyshawn and Keenan. Didn't McCardel hold out a bunch of games then get traded? Can't remember.

DynaMike Glennon

Pro Bowler

#4 : August 30, 2009, 10:06:50 PM

Yeah your probably right, I forgot about those bafoons.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 30, 2009, 10:09:34 PM

Rice, Sapp, Keyshawn and Keenan. Didn't McCardel hold out a bunch of games then get traded? Can't remember.

Yeah he held out for more money. McKay never caved in, and he ended up going to San Diego for a 3rd round pick.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 30, 2009, 10:14:34 PM

Yeah he held out for more money. McKay never caved in, and he ended up going to San Diego for a 3rd round pick.

Actually, McCardell had a great year for the Bucs the year following the Super Bowl. That was in 2004 that he had the contract problems. Keyshawn was the problem child in 2003.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#7 : August 30, 2009, 10:17:18 PM

Yeah I'd say the ego issue was between Gruden and Keyshawn. That thing got ugly and had to be a distraction.

TheGladiator

Pro Bowler

#8 : August 30, 2009, 10:21:13 PM

I saw that, too...but, even though the Bucs had a good start that year, didn't you have A-train and Jumpin Joe go down in the Eagles game? 

At some point BK was lost and the Colts broke their backs with that comeback and it all snowballed.  It wasn't just egos...

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 30, 2009, 10:22:51 PM

We did not have stability at QB. Brad Johnson fell apart in 2004. The salary cap was becoming a problem. Sapp, Keyshawn, McCardell, Lynch were soon out the door. Alstott began having neck and back issues. We didnt have a bunch of draft picks because the Glazers traded them away. etc, etc....

So it was a perfect storm. A combination of issues.

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 30, 2009, 10:23:55 PM

I saw that, too...but, even though the Bucs had a good start that year, didn't you have A-train and Jumpin Joe go down in the Eagles game?  

At some point BK was lost and the Colts broke their backs with that comeback and it all snowballed.  It wasn't just egos...

they went down during that 2nd game against CArolina. Ya know the one with all the blocked FG's. It shook our kickers confidence.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 30, 2009, 10:24:33 PM

At some point BK was lost and the Colts broke their backs with that comeback and it all snowballed.  It wasn't just egos...

Yep.  That team was looking like it would repeat until BK went down.   They didn't have a backup for him - and you're only as strong as your weakest link.   Had BK stayed healthy, I have no doubt at all, that team makes another run at a superbowl ring.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#12 : August 30, 2009, 10:24:53 PM

At some point BK was lost and the Colts broke their backs with that comeback and it all snowballed.  It wasn't just egos...

Didn't know it at the time but THAT was the end of that team.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#13 : August 30, 2009, 10:25:01 PM

From what I've heard, it was mostly Keyshawn. There were plenty of other guys with egos, but rarely did they affect the team. Keyshawn, on the other hand, became somewhat of a locker room cancer.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 30, 2009, 10:26:01 PM

I'm pretty sure Tim "toast" Wansley had a lot to do with the Bucs not repeating

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tomlin:Ego's were part of the reason Bucs didn't repeat « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools