Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why isn't CJ projected to go #1 overall? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

psymun

Starter
: February 14, 2007, 11:24:25 AM

Keyshawn Johnson and Irving Fryar are the only 2 receivers to go #1 overall... Neither one of them ended up being gamebreakers (even though KJ thought he was).

So is it that teams don't find a receiver to be worth the #1 overall pick? I think that's very possible...

BUT if CJ is supposed to be even more of a game breaker than Reggie Bush... why isn't he projected to go #1 overall? Especially since Randy Moss and Jerry Porter are almost guaranteed to be leaving the Raiders.

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 14, 2007, 11:25:42 AM

Because Wr needs a Qb to throw him the Ball and Oakland does not have a compotint QB

#2 : February 14, 2007, 11:25:55 AM

Because a franchise QB or LT is much more valuable.    ;)

BucsPrimetime

Rookie

#3 : February 14, 2007, 11:28:11 AM

Well looks like that will change.

FYI, On ESPN's Cold Pizza  First And Ten Rick Stroud of The St. Petersburg Times reported
Calvin johnson is working out with trainers for the Nfl Combine in Orlando, and reportedly during his mock 40 yard dash time he ran a super blazing 4.33 time, he was only expected to run a 4.5 forty.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 14, 2007, 11:32:33 AM

Whose going to block for the QB to give him time, or whose going to throw the ball near him? Certainly not Brooks and Walter.. They are drafting a QB because that and the oline was the weakness. They had #4 defense which is a good start, and Jerry Porter is going to stay and Al Davis won't let Moss go.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 14, 2007, 11:35:04 AM

Al Davis?

psymun

Starter
#6 : February 14, 2007, 11:37:12 AM

Because Wr needs a Qb to throw him the Ball and Oakland does not have a compotint QB

Whose going to block for the QB to give him time, or whose going to throw the ball near him? Certainly not Brooks and Walter.. They are drafting a QB because that and the oline was the weakness. They had #4 defense which is a good start, and Jerry Porter is going to stay and Al Davis won't let Moss go.

So tell me again why we should draft CJ?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 14, 2007, 11:39:51 AM

Keyshawn Johnson and Irving Fryar are the only 2 receivers to go #1 overall... Neither one of them ended up being gamebreakers (even though KJ thought he was).

So is it that teams don't find a receiver to be worth the #1 overall pick? I think that's very possible...

Positionally WR's just aren't that valuable. I mean no matter how good a punter is he'll never go #1 overall.  Lee Evans is a top top 10 level WR's but the BUF passing attack was 27th so WR's aren't team changing type players in the way QB's, pass rusher and pass blockers are.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 14, 2007, 11:50:04 AM

Our offensive line is better than Oakland's. We started the backups the whole season, we were banged up last year due to injuries. When our oline is healthy we can be good, for instance look at the '05 season.

I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#9 : February 14, 2007, 12:13:00 PM

Our offensive line is better than Oakland's. We started the backups the whole season, we were banged up last year due to injuries. When our oline is healthy we can be good, for instance look at the '05 season.

EVERYONE starts backups in the NFL, you just don't hear about it unless it's your team or they are a pro-bowl level player.  Here's a breakdown from last season, up through week 14, of every team's offensive line subs.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/print/4658/

Note: I'm pretty sure the term "super-sub" is in reference to Mahan playing both guard positions, not his level of play :p

bklynbucs11

Starter

#10 : February 14, 2007, 12:20:14 PM

Why Draft Calvin johnson?

Because there will be another Joe Thomas in an upcoming Draft. We may never get an opportunity to draft a Calvin Johnson ever again.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#11 : February 14, 2007, 12:37:06 PM

Because there will be another Joe Thomas in an upcoming Draft. We may never get an opportunity to draft a Calvin Johnson ever again.
He is 100% correct, next year there is Jake Long who could play both side LT and RT. Jake Long is on Joe Thomas status, Sam Baker is good too.

#12 : February 14, 2007, 12:57:46 PM

If you are planning on drafting well inside the top ten next year, CJ obviously makes a BIG difference to our 2007 season..LMAO

#13 : February 14, 2007, 12:59:20 PM

If you are planning on drafting well inside the top ten next year, CJ obviously makes a BIG difference to our 2007 season..LMAO
Yup, whereas Joe Thomas will single handidly lead us to the playoffs. I'm indifferent as to which player I want to see picked but don't act like CJ won't impact our offense.

#14 : February 14, 2007, 01:02:32 PM

Yup, whereas Joe Thomas will single handidly lead us to the playoffs.

Chris Simms with our swiss cheese O-line and Caddy spluttering along all season will definitely not get it done.  Maybe, just maybe, an upgraded O-line will elevate the play of the RBs, then QB and ultimately the WRs.

Chains and weakest links spring to mind.   ;)
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why isn't CJ projected to go #1 overall? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools