Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why isn't CJ projected to go #1 overall? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

gone

Hall of Famer
« #15 : February 14, 2007, 01:04:31 PM »

Keyshawn Johnson and Irving Fryar are the only 2 receivers to go #1 overall... Neither one of them ended up being gamebreakers (even though KJ thought he was).

So is it that teams don't find a receiver to be worth the #1 overall pick? I think that's very possible...

BUT if CJ is supposed to be even more of a game breaker than Reggie Bush... why isn't he projected to go #1 overall? Especially since Randy Moss and Jerry Porter are almost guaranteed to be leaving the Raiders.

I don't think it's any of the other reasons listed in the above posts.  When you look at teams who get the #1 pick, they aren't teams that feel they just need a reciever to be competetive.  They need a QB or impact defenders, or their running game is awful, or their line stinks.  Remember, you have to be REALLY bad to get that top pick.

And it's also easier to get a decent WR than it is to get a good player at other positions through trade or FA.

buckit

Hall of Famer

« #16 : February 14, 2007, 01:04:57 PM »

Keyshawn Johnson and Irving Fryar are the only 2 receivers to go #1 overall... Neither one of them ended up being gamebreakers (even though KJ thought he was).

So is it that teams don't find a receiver to be worth the #1 overall pick? I think that's very possible...

BUT if CJ is supposed to be even more of a game breaker than Reggie Bush... why isn't he projected to go #1 overall? Especially since Randy Moss and Jerry Porter are almost guaranteed to be leaving the Raiders.

First, Keyshawn Johnson lived up to his #1 pick, and earned every penny he was paid, of that I have no doubt.  He was about as solid as they come at the WR position.  Second, Calvin won't go #1 simply because the team with the #1 pick needs a QB and WILL take Russell.  The new GM in Oak has a great eye for QB's and quite honestly, neither Brady Quinn nor Troy Smith can hold Russell's jock.  That kid is the next Donovan McNabb.

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #17 : February 14, 2007, 01:09:12 PM »

New GM in Oakland?  Did Al Davis reincarante himself? ???

gone

Hall of Famer
« #18 : February 14, 2007, 01:13:05 PM »

Why Draft Calvin johnson?

Because there will be another Joe Thomas in an upcoming Draft. We may never get an opportunity to draft a Calvin Johnson ever again.

If you are planning on drafting well inside the top ten next year, CJ obviously makes a BIG difference to our 2007 season..LMAO
Yup, whereas Joe Thomas will single handidly lead us to the playoffs. I'm indifferent as to which player I want to see picked but don't act like CJ won't impact our offense.

Assuming both their games translate fullly to the NFL, JT would have more impact on our offense.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

« #19 : February 14, 2007, 01:19:02 PM »

Because there will be another Joe Thomas in an upcoming Draft. We may never get an opportunity to draft a Calvin Johnson ever again.

If you are planning on drafting well inside the top ten next year, CJ obviously makes a BIG difference to our 2007 season..LMAO
Yup, whereas Joe Thomas will single handidly lead us to the playoffs. I'm indifferent as to which player I want to see picked but don't act like CJ won't impact our offense.

Assuming both their games translate fullly to the NFL, JT would have more impact on our offense.
I don't know if Joe Thomas makes a more impact than CJ. CJ would demand double teams off the jump, which Clayton and Galloway can thrive on. Which could open our passing game, plus we need a new WR our WR cannot catch the football.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

« #20 : February 14, 2007, 01:21:39 PM »

IF CJ's 40 times are sub 4.4 and given his size he could do a lot for us. Going OL in the first round is not what we need to do we already have went OL for our 1st and 2nd round picks last season and it didn't exactly make our O-line top notch. Thomas would be a wasted pick IMO.
If we don't go Defense in the first round then I hope we go WR, Gallaway, CJ and Stovall/Clayton looks pretty good to me.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

« #21 : February 14, 2007, 01:24:48 PM »

IF CJ's 40 times are sub 4.4 and given his size he could do a lot for us. Going OL in the first round is not what we need to do we already have went OL for our 1st and 2nd round picks last season and it didn't exactly make our O-line top notch. Thomas would be a wasted pick IMO.
If we don't go Defense in the first round then I hope we go WR, Gallaway, CJ and Stovall/Clayton looks pretty good to me.

I know right we went oline with our 1st and 2nd round last season.

I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #22 : February 14, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »

I don't know if Joe Thomas makes a more impact than CJ. CJ would demand double teams off the jump, which Clayton and Galloway can thrive on. Which could open our passing game, plus we need a new WR our WR cannot catch the football.
We aren't having issues with getting guys open.  We're having issues with QB's getting them the ball, and getting a running game working.  The drops are not as big an issue as people are making out either. 

ktownbuc47

Pro Bowler
« #23 : February 14, 2007, 01:36:42 PM »

I think CJ and a quality Center who can do more than block air (Wade) may be more beneficial to the Offense than a stud LT. CJ and Galloway spread a defense and a good run blocking center with the current Oline = better running game.

Why do you necessarily have to be wrong just because a few million people think you are?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #24 : February 14, 2007, 01:37:01 PM »

Bottom line, Galloway is a deep threat and he doesn't make this offense miraculously go. Calvin, by himself, won't change that. Thomas can change that because:

1. Thomas makes the running game better - no CJ isn't gonna back anymore guys off the line the Joey G.
2. Thomas makes the QB better because he has more time to get WR's open on the types of crossing routes in particular this offense loves but that require a lot of time to develop.
3. Thomas makes the passing game better. You might not know this folks but TE's are eligible recievers in this game and not simply smallish tackles.

I like Calvin a lot but WR < LOT. Simple as this, you can have Orlando Pace or Torry Holt to start your team, who do you want?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

« #25 : February 14, 2007, 01:38:53 PM »

We aren't having issues with getting guys open. We're having issues with QB's getting them the ball, and getting a running game working. The drops are not as big an issue as people are making out either.
You do realize we had injuries at the oline. Look at the '05 year, we were healthy and a WR away from beating the Redskins.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #26 : February 14, 2007, 01:52:25 PM »

You do realize we had injuries at the oline. Look at the '05 year, we were healthy and a WR away from beating the Redskins.

You mean the game we couldn't run the ball and Caddy got 2.7 ypc and our longest run from scrimmage was 8 yards, Simms got sacked and hurried all game long against a bad team that failed as miserably as we did this year? Yeah, I recall that game.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

« #27 : February 14, 2007, 01:55:44 PM »

You mean the game we couldn't run the ball and Caddy got 2.7 ypc and our longest run from scrimmage was 8 yards, Simms got sacked and hurried all game long against a bad team that failed as miserably as we did this year? Yeah, I recall that game.
Yea, and we almost won the game.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #28 : February 14, 2007, 02:02:07 PM »

Bottom line, Galloway is a deep threat and he doesn't make this offense miraculously go. Calvin, by himself, won't change that. Thomas can change that because:

1. Thomas makes the running game better - no CJ isn't gonna back anymore guys off the line the Joey G.
2. Thomas makes the QB better because he has more time to get WR's open on the types of crossing routes in particular this offense loves but that require a lot of time to develop.
3. Thomas makes the passing game better. You might not know this folks but TE's are eligible recievers in this game and not simply smallish tackles.

I like Calvin a lot but WR < LOT. Simple as this, you can have Orlando Pace or Torry Holt to start your team, who do you want?

Anthony Davis might be Thomas' equal in the run game.  I agree Thomas will do wonders for our passing game but I think it'll be a wash as far as run blocking.

And in fairness, CJ is expected to be better than Holt, while Thomas is not considered to be in Pace's class.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #29 : February 14, 2007, 02:00:30 PM »

Why are we still arguing between CJ and Joe Thomas?  Aside from a few posters it seems we all want Thomas over CJ.  However, it is becoming more and more likely that Thomas is not going to be there, so anyone espousing the greatness of Calvin Johnson is not necessarlity saying he's a better fit than CJ, just a more likely fit.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why isn't CJ projected to go #1 overall? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools