Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why isn't CJ projected to go #1 overall? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

#30 : February 14, 2007, 02:11:09 PM

Umm, idk about you Dal, but I would MUCH rather have Torry Holt than Orlando Pace. People around here massively overrate the impact a LT can have. Sure, they can help solidify an offense, but by no means do they make an offense. Playmakers make an offense. I don't get how u all seem to think that if we don't take JT our o-line will never give Simms protection. I remember when the Rams still had the greatest show on turf, Kurt Warner constantly got banged up, even with the great Orlando Pace, but that didn't stop then from putting up TONS of points thanks to Holt and Bruce.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#31 : February 14, 2007, 02:12:30 PM

Anthony Davis might be Thomas' equal in the run game.  I agree Thomas will do wonders for our passing game but I think it'll be a wash as far as run blocking.

And in fairness, CJ is expected to be better than Holt, while Thomas is not considered to be in Pace's class.

I  never like the logic of saying player X is projected to be better than the best player in the game. He's more likely going ot be in that mix of the top WR's.

Davis' run blocking is overrated because he's got phone booth mobility. He doesn't hit moving targets well nor get to the second level cleanly. If you line up in front of him and let him maul you he's a weapon. Thomas benefits us a lot in those areas.

Fine, let's make it a more interesting debate Torry Holt or Willie Roaf (assuming not this year Willie but a player of his ilk who is more comparable to Thomas). I still think it is a no brainer.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

#32 : February 14, 2007, 02:13:25 PM

I'd still take Holt...

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#33 : February 14, 2007, 02:16:45 PM

Anthony Davis might be Thomas' equal in the run game. I agree Thomas will do wonders for our passing game but I think it'll be a wash as far as run blocking.

And in fairness, CJ is expected to be better than Holt, while Thomas is not considered to be in Pace's class.

I never like the logic of saying player X is projected to be better than the best player in the game. He's more likely going ot be in that mix of the top WR's.

Davis' run blocking is overrated because he's got phone booth mobility. He doesn't hit moving targets well nor get to the second level cleanly. If you line up in front of him and let him maul you he's a weapon. Thomas benefits us a lot in those areas.

Fine, let's make it a more interesting debate Torry Holt or Willie Roaf (assuming not this year Willie but a player of his ilk who is more comparable to Thomas). I still think it is a no brainer.

I'd take Roaf over Holt.  I'm not arguing your point at all, just your examples.  Seemed like you were kinda stacking the deck in favor of you.  This is a better example.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#34 : February 14, 2007, 02:21:39 PM

Umm, idk about you Dal, but I would MUCH rather have Torry Holt than Orlando Pace. People around here massively overrate the impact a LT can have. Sure, they can help solidify an offense, but by no means do they make an offense.

Well let's stroll through the playoff contenders at LOT: Tarik Glenn, Marcus McNeil, Jon Ogden, Matt Light, Jordan Black, D'Brick, John Tait, Jamaal Brown, Tra Thomas, Walter Jones, Flozell Adams, Bob Whitfield. Well that's a pretty good list of LOT's. Black and Whitfield are the only not -so-hot type players on that list and Whitfield was clearly a huge downgrade over Pettigout during the season.

Now the top WR's: Marvin Harrison, Musin Muhammed, Marquis Colston, Reche Caldwell, Mark Clayton, Reggie Brown, Darrell Jackson, Eric Parker, Eddie Kennison, Terrell Owens, Laverneous Coles, Plax Burress. There are about half meh kinds of players on that list.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

#35 : February 14, 2007, 02:35:46 PM

Many of the tackles on that list were beaten numerous times in the playoff games

LVBUC

Practice Squad

#36 : February 14, 2007, 02:44:37 PM

I didn't think DBrick did that well. Didn'y he give up like 9 sacks?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#37 : February 14, 2007, 02:46:10 PM

Many of the tackles on that list were beaten numerous times in the playoff games

Ummm yeah, many of those WR's dropped balls in the playoffs. There's no denying the overall level of talent among the LOT's is much, much higher than the WR's nor that I can pretty much replicate that year after year.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#38 : February 14, 2007, 06:36:37 PM

Bottom line, Galloway is a deep threat and he doesn't make this offense miraculously go. Calvin, by himself, won't change that. Thomas can change that because:

1. Thomas makes the running game better - no CJ isn't gonna back anymore guys off the line the Joey G.
2. Thomas makes the QB better because he has more time to get WR's open on the types of crossing routes in particular this offense loves but that require a lot of time to develop.
3. Thomas makes the passing game better. You might not know this folks but TE's are eligible recievers in this game and not simply smallish tackles.

I like Calvin a lot but WR < LOT. Simple as this, you can have Orlando Pace or Torry Holt to start your team, who do you want?

He would also give our OL more flexibility and depth.  I would like to see Davis at G, especially with Buennings injury.  Also he would free up the TE to actually go down field and make plays.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#39 : February 14, 2007, 06:39:17 PM

Umm, idk about you Dal, but I would MUCH rather have Torry Holt than Orlando Pace. People around here massively overrate the impact a LT can have. Sure, they can help solidify an offense, but by no means do they make an offense. Playmakers make an offense. I don't get how u all seem to think that if we don't take JT our o-line will never give Simms protection. I remember when the Rams still had the greatest show on turf, Kurt Warner constantly got banged up, even with the great Orlando Pace, but that didn't stop then from putting up TONS of points thanks to Holt and Bruce.

QB, RB, and LT are the most important positins on a football team according to **CENSORED** Vermeil.

#40 : February 14, 2007, 06:41:17 PM

Bottom line, Galloway is a deep threat and he doesn't make this offense miraculously go. Calvin, by himself, won't change that. Thomas can change that because:

1. Thomas makes the running game better - no CJ isn't gonna back anymore guys off the line the Joey G.
2. Thomas makes the QB better because he has more time to get WR's open on the types of crossing routes in particular this offense loves but that require a lot of time to develop.
3. Thomas makes the passing game better. You might not know this folks but TE's are eligible recievers in this game and not simply smallish tackles.

I like Calvin a lot but WR < LOT. Simple as this, you can have Orlando Pace or Torry Holt to start your team, who do you want?

He would also give our OL more flexibility and depth. I would like to see Davis at G, especially with Buennings injury. Also he would free up the TE to actually go down field and make plays.

I'll drink to that. 

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

#41 : February 14, 2007, 09:35:05 PM

I don't know if Joe Thomas makes a more impact than CJ. CJ would demand double teams off the jump, which Clayton and Galloway can thrive on. Which could open our passing game, plus we need a new WR our WR cannot catch the football.

Braylon Edwards was supposed to make Cleveland's offense hum. Trouble is, their line stinks and their QB is no good -- so now Edwards is just an expensive set of rims on a pinto.

Sounds familiar.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#42 : February 14, 2007, 09:48:07 PM

I don't know if Joe Thomas makes a more impact than CJ. CJ would demand double teams off the jump, which Clayton and Galloway can thrive on. Which could open our passing game, plus we need a new WR our WR cannot catch the football.

Braylon Edwards was supposed to make Cleveland's offense hum. Trouble is, their line stinks and their QB is no good -- so now Edwards is just an expensive set of rims on a pinto.

Sounds familiar.

Well said. WRs can only do so much to help an offense. Look at the Colts. Was Harrison and Wayne the reason that offense survived through the playoffs? No, it was that line that mauled every front four it faced and let Addai and Rhodes run free.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why isn't CJ projected to go #1 overall? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools