Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Was Dexter Jackson the worst pick in franchise history? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#30 : August 31, 2009, 03:17:43 PM

Not so sure about that Java - I think we had a coach that thought so little of the offense (and perhaps felt so bad about their poor financial decision making) he stuck with them well past reason. That won't happen ever again.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

#31 : August 31, 2009, 03:18:55 PM

Chris Colmer was far worse than Dexter Jackson. I don't think the dude even played at all for us.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#32 : August 31, 2009, 03:19:05 PM

Both Jacquez and Reidel contributed.   They were not complete busts.
Reidel was terrible for a top 10 pick. Jacquez had over 2200 yards in 4 seasons. Not bad for a 2nd rounder.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#33 : August 31, 2009, 03:19:22 PM

Not so sure about that Java - I think we had a coach that thought so little of the offense (and perhaps felt so bad about their poor financial decision making) he stuck with them well past reason. That won't happen ever again.

I don't agree with that.   Look at Clayton.   Clayton is a worse receiver than either Jacquez or Reidel ever were.   He's still on the roster.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#34 : August 31, 2009, 03:21:01 PM

Both Jacquez and Reidel contributed.   They were not complete busts.

Well... I don't think you can go strictly by production... Reidel was a first rounder... so you have to equate the value of his draft position along with his production.  So, when you bust in the first round, I think it's a little more devastating than busting in the second round... by the fifth round, you kinda expect them to flake out.  

So... when every thing is factored together... I would say they were all busts... but if I had to put them in some sort of bust order, It would go like this...

1.  Reidel Anthony
2.  Dexter Jackson
3.  Jaquez Green

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#35 : August 31, 2009, 03:21:10 PM

Reidel was terrible for a top 10 pick.

Reidel was somewhat productive until Shaun King became the starter.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#36 : August 31, 2009, 03:23:04 PM

Reidel was terrible for a top 10 pick.

Reidel was somewhat productive until Shaun King became the starter.

I think Reidel was also like the 16th pick...

I remember correctly we had 2 #1's that year... first one was Warrick Dunn... that didn't turn out to bad.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#37 : August 31, 2009, 03:25:37 PM

Yep, he was the 16th pick, Warrick was 12th.  The receiver that went after Reidel was Rae Carruth.   I'm glad the Bucs didn't take Carruth...   The WR taken at #15 that year was Yatil Green.  LOL.

#38 : August 31, 2009, 03:26:56 PM

Just looking over the 2008 draft it could be very bad in a couple years. If Talib keeps us normal antics he will be gone, leaving us without our 1st and 2nd rounders. Then you have Zuttah who has struggled but will hopefully pick it up. Dre Moore didn't even make the team last year, Josh Johnson is almost useless now with Freeman. Then comes Geno Hayes who has showed potential. Finally Boyd who got into a fight with Talib and was released later in the year.

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

#39 : August 31, 2009, 03:27:17 PM

There have been some pretty terrible picks over the years -- at least Dexter Jackson is being immediately flushed (as opposed to other picks which just tended to linger on).

But the worst? Wow, maybe if your experience with Bucs Football starts in 1997 -- but anyone who sat through the 80s knows that Jackson is positively an all-pro compared to some of the "talent" that the Bucs of that era brought in.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#40 : August 31, 2009, 03:27:31 PM

I just looked.  The Bucs took Warrick Dunn one pick before the Cheifs took Tony Gonzalez.  Ouch.  That Dunn pick doesn't look so good anymore.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#41 : August 31, 2009, 03:28:45 PM

Yep, he was the 16th pick, Warrick was 12th.� The receiver that went after Reidel was Rae Carruth.� �I'm glad the Bucs didn't take Carruth...   The WR taken at #15 that year was Yatil Green.  LOL.

Good point... you couldn't win that year at receiver.  I guess we did the best out the three... we avoided the murderer and the guy with glass knees.

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

#42 : August 31, 2009, 03:29:06 PM

I just looked.  The Bucs took Warrick Dunn one pick before the Cheifs took Tony Gonzalez.  Ouch.  That Dunn pick doesn't look so good anymore.

Gonzalez is an amazing player, but Dunn had a pretty damn good career for himself. He could have continued to be productive in Tampa for many years if Gruden hadn't gotten a man-crush on Michael Pittman's arms.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#43 : August 31, 2009, 03:29:28 PM

The worst part of the 1997 draft was how the Bucs traded out of the #6 pick, passing up Walter Jones. At least they got Barber with one of the acquired picks, though.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#44 : August 31, 2009, 03:30:03 PM

Gonzalez is an amazing player, but Dunn had a pretty damn good career for himself. He could have continued to be productive in Tampa for many years if Gruden hadn't gotten a man-crush on Michael Pittman's arms.
Atlanta offered way more money than the Bucs could afford. That one wasn't on Gruden.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Was Dexter Jackson the worst pick in franchise history? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools