Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why are we tripping on who's the Starter? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#15 : September 02, 2009, 07:03:16 AM

I find it funny that we cut so many players this offseason so that we could see what the younger guys could do, yet instead of seeing what Luke could do over a full season we sign a guy who has proven he can't get the job done. Raheem can talk about Byron's leadership all he wants, nobody follows a loser, and that's what Byron is. Once those L's start to pile up it's going to be funny watching Raheem "in over his head" Morris try to spin things to try and back this bum.
Luke is 28, Leftwich 29.  Luke is not one of the young players on this roster.  He is not the future.  That has always been clear and honest.  He was offered an opportunity to audition for 31 teams in this league.  All he had to do was win the starting job.

And Byron isn't the future either. They gave Luke 2.5 million which turns out to be a complete waste, and please tell me what Byron did to win the starting job, I'd love to hear it.
   Byron at least gets off passes down field. He did do that better than Luke in this pre-season, which is a big part of Jag's offense. Percentage is less important when the passes are longer. Longer passes increase the likelihood of getting a first down with just 1 play. The WCO with short passes requires great accuracy as it may take 2 or even 3 completions to get a first down. I don't recall batted balls ever being an issue with Leftwich or McCown. Luke almost always looks, hesitates, scrambles, creating horrible angles for his blockers, hesitates some more, maybe gets off a checkdown pass, maybe gets sacked. Luke looked to me like a career backup at best. Byron isn't the messiah, but has a winning background and showed much more leadership on the field of play.

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#16 : September 02, 2009, 07:57:54 AM

I find it funny that we cut so many players this offseason so that we could see what the younger guys could do, yet instead of seeing what Luke could do over a full season we sign a guy who has proven he can't get the job done. Raheem can talk about Byron's leadership all he wants, nobody follows a loser, and that's what Byron is. Once those L's start to pile up it's going to be funny watching Raheem "in over his head" Morris try to spin things to try and back this bum.
Luke is 28, Leftwich 29. Luke is not one of the young players on this roster. He is not the future. That has always been clear and honest. He was offered an opportunity to audition for 31 teams in this league. All he had to do was win the starting job.

And Byron isn't the future either. They gave Luke 2.5 million which turns out to be a complete waste, and please tell me what Byron did to win the starting job, I'd love to hear it.

For starters, he beat out the guy who got the 2.5M bonus.

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#17 : September 02, 2009, 08:10:55 AM

I personally just think I will find myself livid with Leftwich's play. His style is pretty irritating to me.

He's the Byron Leftwich survival kit. Imagine this scenario: It is 3rd and 10. K2 is running wide open down the seam and Bryon overthrows him by 5 yards. End result....punt.

You want to get angry, you want to be mad but pause, breathe deep and realize the following:

1. Luke would have been sacked on the play - End result....punt.
2. Josh Freeman would have thrown it to the wrong guy - End result....punt.
3. Garcia would have thrown a completion for 5 yards - End result....punt.
4. Chris Simms would have caught his own pass after it got batted at the line - End result....punt.

So really, no matter who your current or former Buccaneers QB mancrush is/was the end result is the same so it really doesn't matter.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

#18 : September 02, 2009, 08:21:19 AM

You want to get angry, you want to be mad but pause, breathe deep and realize the following:

1. Luke would have been sacked on the play - End result....punt.
2. Josh Freeman would have thrown it to the wrong guy - End result....punt.
3. Garcia would have thrown a completion for 5 yards - End result....punt.
4. Chris Simms would have caught his own pass after it got batted at the line - End result....punt.

Classic...  and so close to the truth - lol.

Booker

Hall of Famer

#19 : September 02, 2009, 08:25:48 AM

I love how people are still using we should be seeing what Luke has to offer. He won't be changing any time soon. He still can't read a defense

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#20 : September 02, 2009, 08:42:30 AM

Chev,

To answer your specific thread title question, here are some possible answers: (Many of them heavily emotional/strong personal feelings, without regard to anything else).

1. Gruden is gone, so anything presently being done is wrong.
2. Immense dislike for either or both replacements for Gruden/Allen.
3. Would have preferred different choice for coach and/or GM
4. McCown was here longer and should have started.
5. Passionate dislike for Leftwich.
6. Rookie QB should be starting now and learn.
7. # 1 pick was bad choice-should have been X.
8. Brooks was cut.
9. Should have kept Garcia.
10. McCown was unfairly treated in the competition.

Some are single reasons only and others are multiple.

Some posters posts have been heavily negative since any of the above events occurred. Others waited a little while before they built up a head of steam.

Have gotten to the point that I no longer read posts from some of them.  There is no point.  They keep beating the same drum to the point its now annoying to me.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#21 : September 02, 2009, 08:48:28 AM

Numbers 4, 5 and 10 sound like verses in the official fight song for PR's coverage.

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#22 : September 02, 2009, 08:55:47 AM

Luke is 28, Leftwich 29.  Luke is not one of the young players on this roster.  He is not the future.  That has always been clear and honest.  He was offered an opportunity to audition for 31 teams in this league.  All he had to do was win the starting job.

Because Leftwich can at least see the field and stands tall in the pocket. Those are the things we want Freeman to pick up. Leftwich has the mental side of the game down. McCown has the physical side down, but can't see the field and bails from the pocket at the first sign of trouble. Those aren't habits we want McCown picking up.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

calicojack

Starter
#23 : September 02, 2009, 09:19:57 AM

If Leftwich (and I said IF) were to keep up the pace he set in preseason for the entire regular season, he could go over 4000 passing yards.  That would be a first for a Buc QB.

As much as his throwing motion gets discussed, it was a problem once (maybe) in the preseason.

As for the stats... I'll take actual first downs over third down conversion rate.  I'll take the yardage over the passer rating.  I'll take scoring drives over completion percentage.

The Dream Team

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#24 : September 02, 2009, 09:30:04 AM

Bingo!

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#25 : September 02, 2009, 09:38:44 AM

As much as his throwing motion gets discussed, it was a problem once (maybe) in the preseason.

His motion is a problem but not for the reason most folks think. The s.....l......o.....w release doesn't matter because he anticipates throws so well and has such a strong arm. Slow isn't the problem but that long wind up is why he is so high all the time. Instead of the compact from the ear motion that gets the tip of the ball down the wind-up means that if he releases just a bit early the ball is pointing up and not down and so it sails.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#26 : September 02, 2009, 09:49:09 AM

Quarterback A goes in and is 1 for 4 for 25 yds. Quarterback B goes in and is 3 for 4 for 15 yds. I don't know. Depends on what you enjoy watching.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
#27 : September 02, 2009, 09:51:21 AM

Some don't think Freeman is the answer at QB(myself), and McCown may have been a better long-term fit than Freeman.  Just because Freeman is Morris' choice, bride, "future", "frachise QB", doesn't mean squat on the field. Morris has coddled Freeman and annointed him the "Second Coming" without so much as a snap in the NFL. Very simply put, if Freeman bombs, which is a distinct possibility, Morris is GONE.  He's backed himself into a corner, which, IMO, doesn't bode well for his future, or the future of the Bucs.  If Freeman flops, what do we have?  Morris is WAY to close to this QB, and is WAY to personally invested in Freeman, for my liking.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#28 : September 02, 2009, 09:57:25 AM

His motion is a problem but not for the reason most folks think. The s.....l......o.....w release doesn't matter because he anticipates throws so well and has such a strong arm. Slow isn't the problem but that long wind up is why he is so high all the time. Instead of the compact from the ear motion that gets the tip of the ball down the wind-up means that if he releases just a bit early the ball is pointing up and not down and so it sails.

Probably easier for some of them DE's to get a sack fumble like in the last game if he's got the ball way out behind him when he throws. Leftwich sucks.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#29 : September 02, 2009, 10:00:26 AM

Some don't think Freeman is the answer at QB(myself), and McCown may have been a better long-term fit than Freeman.  Just because Freeman is Morris' choice, bride, "future", "frachise QB", doesn't mean squat on the field. Morris has coddled Freeman and annointed him the "Second Coming" without so much as a snap in the NFL. Very simply put, if Freeman bombs, which is a distinct possibility, Morris is GONE.  He's backed himself into a corner, which, IMO, doesn't bode well for his future, or the future of the Bucs.  If Freeman flops, what do we have?  Morris is WAY to close to this QB, and is WAY to personally invested in Freeman, for my liking.

Rex Ryan is tied to Mark Sanchez
Jim Schwartz is tied to Matthew Stafford

All coaches are tied to high draft pick QB's if for no other reason than a failed pick usually = losing records which  = getting fired

The notion that LM, who is now proven worse than BL, is the better long-term fit is laughable.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why are we tripping on who's the Starter? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools