Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Purvis for backup FB, hop on the wagon now. « previous next »
Page: 1

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
: September 04, 2009, 10:30:52 PM

Normally I wouldn't start a thread.   I hate clutter.  After seeing what passes for a thread worthy topic on this board nowadays I have no regrets making this one.

It dawned on me tonight and actually earlier this week that Purvis has had a roster making performance this preseason.   We're deep at TE....where can the Bucs use his talents then?   At FB.   Jameel Cook be damned.   We are still a team that needs a FB, and not just a place filler but a guy who can block and catch.   I think Purvis is the second stringer we need at FB.   I'd rather take him on the 53 man roster then a 6th WR or a 4th QB.   Others have acknowledged my idea in the gameday thread so I know it's not crazy talk....not like the talk about JJ starting we are now accustomed to.   What say you Red Board readers? 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#1 : September 04, 2009, 10:43:28 PM

The Bucs don't need a back-up FB, one will be fine.  Have you noticed how often they even use a FB in their formations?  Graham, Gilmore and couple others could fill that role if necessary.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#2 : September 04, 2009, 10:45:25 PM

I don't think it is a bad idea, but like I said in the gameday thread, it comes down to 2 things: special teams and who we think we can get to the PS.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#3 : September 04, 2009, 10:47:02 PM

The Bucs don't need a back-up FB, one will be fine. Have you noticed how often they even use a FB in their formations? Graham, Gilmore and couple others could fill that role if necessary.
yup.

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#4 : September 04, 2009, 10:54:52 PM

throw the guy on practice squad. If he develops further we have a gem and can let stevens move on next year... if not we move on ourselves

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#5 : September 04, 2009, 11:04:04 PM

Yeah put me down for PS candidate.

And I expect to see a lot of OL on the PS after watching their performance tonight. >.>

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#6 : September 04, 2009, 11:34:44 PM

Yeah put me down for PS candidate.

And I expect to see a lot of OL on the PS after watching their performance tonight. >.>
The real question is do we have enough with any talent to put on the actual 53?

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#7 : September 04, 2009, 11:36:16 PM

Purvis will easily be on the cut list come tomorrow. He dropped too many passes.

#8 : September 05, 2009, 12:13:24 AM

I liked Purvis in training camp.  He's got GREAT hands.  The problem is, not that Jag is gone, Purvis loses his Boston College inside track to make the team

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
#9 : September 05, 2009, 12:31:59 AM

The Bucs don't need a back-up FB, one will be fine.  Have you noticed how often they even use a FB in their formations?  Graham, Gilmore and couple others could fill that role if necessary.

yeah I guess you're right.....Askew has always been able to stay healthy we won't need another FB.   Wait....am I mistaken or did we use Graham in that spot out of necessity?  Nevermind he's supposed to be a toter of the rock this year in this massive run attack...Gilmore can do it right?  He's shown more then Purvis at the FB spot...oh wait no he hasn't.   Best 53 men right?  He's one of them right now...do the math. 

oh and let's not also use this card that they don't use a FB much.....if you believe all the suck ups then they haven't shown their cards at all....oh and we do have a new OC as of yesterday.   We got no S. Jackson on this team mind you....wanna look back at Olson and how he liked to toss it to the backfield at STL?   We could use a second stringer at FB....IF he's the best included in that 53...not my decision to make but if he is they HAVE to do it.   Phillips to OLB?  That's more creative then what I suppose....it's way more likely then the people who predict 4 QBs and Cox to make the CB rotation.   

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#10 : September 05, 2009, 09:27:08 AM

yeah I guess you're right.....Askew has always been able to stay healthy we won't need another FB.   Wait....am I mistaken or did we use Graham in that spot out of necessity?  Nevermind he's supposed to be a toter of the rock this year in this massive run attack...Gilmore can do it right?  He's shown more then Purvis at the FB spot...oh wait no he hasn't.   Best 53 men right?  He's one of them right now...do the math. 

oh and let's not also use this card that they don't use a FB much.....if you believe all the suck ups then they haven't shown their cards at all....oh and we do have a new OC as of yesterday.   We got no S. Jackson on this team mind you....wanna look back at Olson and how he liked to toss it to the backfield at STL?   We could use a second stringer at FB....IF he's the best included in that 53...not my decision to make but if he is they HAVE to do it.   Phillips to OLB?  That's more creative then what I suppose....it's way more likely then the people who predict 4 QBs and Cox to make the CB rotation.   

You can act like they saving the heralded "let use our FB plays" for the regular season....but they're not.  The FB isn't featured near as much in this offense as it was in the previous offense.  That's why you are seeing Askew carry the ball more in the preseason.

I like Purvis and wouldn't care if he is on the final roster, I'm just saying there isn't a need for a back-up FB on the roster.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#11 : September 05, 2009, 09:40:35 AM

With all the talented RB's on our roster, we could see Graham as our FB. In this offense he wouldn't take the pounding a 'normal' FB takes as FB isn't an every-down position, and he's a better runner and receiver than Askew. Gilmore would be my choice as a backup.
     So yes, I've liked what we've seen from Purvis in this offense, but I've not seen him as a FB, and Gilmore I have. Besides, Winslow has that history of injuries, so having another good receiving TE on the roster seems a good idea...
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Purvis for backup FB, hop on the wagon now. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools