Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Roster 2008 vs 2009 « previous next »
Page: 1

Scholty

Pro Bowler

: September 07, 2009, 02:59:20 PM

Since we have a new head coach and the franchise is in Detroit rebuilding mode according to some I just compared our roster this year to last years squad that went 9-3 before loosing badly in the last 4 of the season and finishing up 9-7.  If someone has the time and can compare rosters player by player it would even be better BUT from what I have seen so far I just don't see the gloom and doom.

Yes, we are having a tough schedule this season but on paper this team is just as good if not more talented than last years squad.

QUARTERBACK (3) 2009      2008
Byron Leftwich              Jeff Garcia
Josh Freeman               Luke McCown
Josh Johnson                Brian Griese

Here I think it's even right now with much more potential for the future.  Garcia could not win the starting job in Raiderland this off-season and has not done much.  IMO this is a push between him and Leftwich.  The backup QB's this year are obviously the future and Freeman, with more reps, should be much better then what we've seen out of Luke last year.

RUNNING BACKS (4)
Derrick Ward                Earnest Graham
Earnest Graham           Cadillac Williams
Cadillac Williams           Warrick Dunn
Clifton Smith                 

Running out of time because of kids.  If someone wants to finish the comparison that would be awesome.

Overall though I think we have more talent than last year....

.... and if people agree that we have gotten better not worse overall talent wise then why is there all this doom and gloom?

Thoughts?

*******************************Luck happens when hard work meets opportunity.

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

#1 : September 07, 2009, 03:08:13 PM

How are you gonna start this thread and then just say "running out of time... if someone wants to finish it thatd be great"... lol

Scholty

Pro Bowler

#2 : September 07, 2009, 03:11:36 PM

....that's what happens when you have a 2 year old waking up from her nap.

Sorry, about that.  Let it inspire you....

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 07, 2009, 04:19:42 PM

The team is a lot younger and thats a good thing IMHO.  I was reading somewhere today, the Bucs are like the second youngest team in the league.  I like the youthful energy.

ALong13

Pro Bowler
#4 : September 07, 2009, 04:30:04 PM

I honestly like this years roster better, younger quicker, more physical, what we need and want. I don't think we really lost much, biggest loss is Tanard Jackson for the first 4 games...

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#5 : September 07, 2009, 05:22:35 PM

Since I have no life...

'09                            '08                          difference
QB
1. Lefty                        Garcia                        happy feet vs. planted feet downgrade
2. Freeman                  Greise                        Cpt. Checkdown vs The Hair or 0 upside vs unlimited potential Big Upgrade
3. JJ                             McCown                     an unknown vs an enigma   even

RB
Ward                           Dunn                          upgrade for youth

WR
A Bryant                       Galloway                   beginning of year JG was the #1, by EOY AB took over  Big Upgrade
#3 Stovall/???               Hilliard                     too soon to tell, Ike was clutch but old, if Stovall stays #3 I'd say slight downgrade, but if SammyS gets in then Upgrade
other WRs                                                     younger and slightly better

OL                                                                 less depth than last year slightly down

DL                                                                 huge upgrade

LB
Hayes                       Brooks                         what we gain in youth and speed we lose in experience and leadership   Even
Black                         June                             upgrade

CB
Aqib                          P Buc                            if he can stay out of trouble upgrade
rest                                                               less depth    downgrade

S                                                                   only change here is less depth  down grade

Nugent                     Bryant                          meh flip a coin     even
Dirk                          Bidwell                          lost a little bit here but due to injury  downgrade.     

Scholty

Pro Bowler

#6 : September 07, 2009, 08:44:05 PM

Nice overview.  So overall I would say we improved talent wise from a squad that went 9-3 and then 9-7. 

I know we have a bit of a tougher schedule or so it seems.  So why is everyone SOOO negative?

OKC PAC

Hall of Famer

#7 : September 07, 2009, 08:47:52 PM

Anything less than 9-7 will be a failure

Bring back GRUDEN!!!

john.matincheck

Starter

#8 : September 07, 2009, 09:00:15 PM

Talent wise this team is very similar to last year so they are either the team that went 9-3 or the team that went 0-4 but you miss the big one: Coaching. I don't have a clue with Morris will be an upgrade or a downgrade, time will tell.

MagicMike

Starter

#9 : September 08, 2009, 10:23:56 AM

You forgot the biggest comparisons:
Head Coach - Gruden vs. Morris = big downgrade this year
OC - Gruden vs. Olson = big downgrade this year
DC - Kiffin vs. Bates = downgrade this year

Whether or not you liked Gruden, bottom line is that there were always guys running WIDE open, and if we had a QB that could make plays (Favre for example last year), we would have been a playoff team last year.  Until he took the UT DC job, Kiffin had been one of the top 3 DCs in the NFL.  Bates has had a checkered past. 

That's why the sky is falling in Tampa.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#10 : September 08, 2009, 10:33:10 AM

Nice overview.  So overall I would say we improved talent wise from a squad that went 9-3 and then 9-7. 

I know we have a bit of a tougher schedule or so it seems.  So why is everyone SOOO negative?

Because most people prefer to lower their expectations in the face of uncertainty such that if the worst comes to pass they are not burned.

#11 : September 08, 2009, 10:41:44 AM

Overall Impression 2008 vs 2009.

Talent - upgrade
Depth - downgrade
Coaching - downgrade
Youth - upgrade
Potential - upgrade

Coaching and talent are tied together like beans and rice and fortunately, both have the ability to get better with time...  hence the excitement for this season.

Depth is going to be an ongoing concern IMO...   we were deep last year, although not as talented...

The difference maker (we hope) is attitude...   these cats appear to WANT to play for Coach Morris.   THAT is what I'm pysched about...

They may be young and learning together, but I get a strong feeling that most teams are going to consider us a dangerous team after the bye.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Roster 2008 vs 2009 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools