Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DOWN GOES MORRIS! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
: September 09, 2009, 11:55:17 AM

CyberD,

I can attest to that, 3 different times.

First time was hired as a manager in data processing. When I reported to work, I was informed, I had been given a much higher level job which happened to include data processing as well. It was a corporate level position in a holding company which had 3 large divisions. Had no clue in the interview.

Later in another situation, I was hired as a senior systems analyst in a very large retail company. 4 days later a new major ship pick/billing system was installed-with no back up. It crashed. The director was fired and I was called into President's office and was told I was the new director based on my interview.

Last time it happened, I went on a job interview again for a Senior Systems Analyst at a major insurance company. Interview lasted the normal time, about 4 hours. Was asked to start about a week later. Showed up at my new boss' office, only to be told he would be an hour late. When he got there, he informed me I was the new director and that he just came back from firing the existing one.

On non of the interviews did I have any clue that I was really being considered for a higher level job.

You are right, it happens

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

DKWEST

Starter

#1 : September 09, 2009, 11:27:03 AM

You assume a lot. You have no idea what the Glazers may have talked to Morris about. To say that they hired him because he is a cool dude is greatly miscalculating the Glazers. They are very shrewd, astute businessmen. They have hired 2 coaches, since owning the Bucs.....Dungy and Gruden....not bad in my book. They also took a laughingstock NFL franchise and turned it into one of the most valuable and profitable franchises in the league. Trust me, these guys do their homework. You, on the other hand, do not know Morris personally nor do you know what thought process and what phone calls were made to whom, when it came down to the Glazers pulling the trigger for a new coach. If you recall, they hired Parcells to replace Dungy years ago and all that was done completely behind the scenes until Parcells got cold feet and it leaked to the media.

The "Cool Dude" comment was from a direct quote of the Glazers.  I'll look for the comment and provide a link, but it went about like this:   "Raheem listens to the same music and can identify with today's young players"

And of course I don't know what went on in that interview, but by your own admission it was Not an interview for the Head Coaching position. And they almost certainly didn't interview any other possible canidates, which lends one to believe that they had their mind made up that Morris was going to be the one, which I think shows a little haste.

As far as Shrewd and astute,..   I agree that Malcom is, but not so sure the boys are in the same league as their Dad quite yet.

Anyway,..   you're leaving out some of my post and taking my point somewhat out of context.  Be sure to read the very first thing I said:

"I support whomever wears the Pewter, Red, and White.

Jon Gruden was no exception, nor will be Raheem Morris."

Of course that means supporting the owners and front office as well, which I will,..  just doesn't mean I'll always agree with everything they say or do.

GO BUCS!

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#2 : September 09, 2009, 10:59:37 AM

Good read. I agree man. If you are a "real" fan then you have to support your team no matter who the coach is. Plus all this talk about people wanting Morris to fail just so they can have a new coach is stupid if you ask me. Is not coming from a real fan either. Especcially when he hasnt even played a meaningful game yet. I hope we get a win this weekend just so it can keep their mouth shut for a lil while.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 09, 2009, 09:06:16 AM

So you go into a job interview for position A and they end up giving you position B. It happens all the time in the real world.

So while they interviewed him for the Defensive job do you think they asked him about how he would run an entire team?  About what offensive schemes and gameplans?  About Quarterbacks, RB's and Receivers?  Who he would hire as offensive coordinater and position coaches?  About Special Teams?  Practice schedule? Offensive Philosophies?

It's not the same at all,..   They thought he was a cool dude that the players could relate to and pulled the trigger prematurely.  And all without even talking to any other posibilities

You assume a lot. You have no idea what the Glazers may have talked to Morris about. To say that they hired him because he is a cool dude is greatly miscalculating the Glazers. They are very shrewd, astute businessmen. They have hired 2 coaches, since owning the Bucs.....Dungy and Gruden....not bad in my book. They also took a laughingstock NFL franchise and turned it into one of the most valuable and profitable franchises in the league. Trust me, these guys do their homework. You, on the other hand, do not know Morris personally nor do you know what thought process and what phone calls were made to whom, when it came down to the Glazers pulling the trigger for a new coach. If you recall, they hired Parcells to replace Dungy years ago and all that was done completely behind the scenes until Parcells got cold feet and it leaked to the media.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#4 : September 09, 2009, 08:51:26 AM

to Grudens failure to improve the offensive talent and develop a QB,it was time for him to go.  Yes

These are the type of comments that are fueling the heated discussions and dividing the fans opinions.

Gruden did improve the offensive talent,..  and all with limited draft picks.   Brought in Joey Galloway, Joe Jurevicius, Keenan McCardell, Ike Hilliard, Michael Pittman.. an entirely new offensive line,..  Alex Smith, Jeramy Stevens,..  and many more players.

As far as Quarterback,..  Gruden did try to develope a QB.  It's just that the QB's always went down with injuries or showed they were not ready for prime time.  Everyone knew that Brad Johnson wasn't going to be the future, so he brought in Brian Griese, Chris Simms, Gradkowski, Luke McCown,  Josh Johnson, and Jeff Garcia.  Brian Griese broke his leg (or arm or something),  Chris Simms busted his spleen,... Gradkowski started out like he was going to do well then sputtered,..  Luke McCown had his chances and looked like a deer in headlights,..  Garcia although was getting older, he was the obvious choice to give the Bucs the best chance to win at the time.

But that's all water under the bridge at this point,..  

Raheem is already starting to show how hard it is to find a Quarterback,..  He had they same guys as Gruden.  Garcia, McCown, and Josh Johnson.  He wanted to draft his own Pet Project and reached for Josh Freeman, but it didn't take long to figure out the same exact same thing that Gruden was going through,..   So he replaced Gracia with Leftwich,..  got rid of McCown,..  and now has his own Josh waiting in the wings

I will address this quickly:

Jon improved the offensive talent when he first arrived with Mckay.  But beyond that point the talent level of the offense lingered around as middle of the road average.  Jon didn't seriously try to develop a QB from my point of view rather he worked with what he had.  In a way this was a choice, but also because the Bucs FO didn't give him a high round drafted QB to work with. 

Raheem has taken a totally different path from Gruden which is he drafted a QB high, and even took the gutsy move of having JJ as the backup to Lefty.  The most gutsiest move Jon made at the QB position was starting Gradkowski.  Even if you feel Freemen is a reach he already has shown far more potential at the NFL level with his physical tools than Gradkowski.

DKWEST

Starter

#5 : September 09, 2009, 08:53:20 AM

So you go into a job interview for position A and they end up giving you position B. It happens all the time in the real world.

So while they interviewed him for the Defensive job do you think they asked him about how he would run an entire team?  About what offensive schemes and gameplans?  About Quarterbacks, RB's and Receivers?  Who he would hire as offensive coordinater and position coaches?  About Special Teams?  Practice schedule? Offensive Philosophies?

It's not the same at all,..   They thought he was a cool dude that the players could relate to and pulled the trigger prematurely.  And all without even talking to any other posibilities

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#6 : September 09, 2009, 08:45:23 AM

That is untrue. The Glazers interviewed him prior to him being named defensive coordinator. They knew what they were getting.

They interviewed him for the Defensive Coordinater position,..  they never gave him an interview to be a Head Coach of an NFL team.

Morris said even he was surprised,..  they called him in and said,..  Guess what,..  you're our head coach!!!!!

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#7 : September 09, 2009, 06:35:18 AM

OK, I know it’s a play on words, in what was HBO Boxing’s first broadcast; the call was made by iconic sports broadcaster Howard Cosell for what became known as The Sunshine Showdown between Joe Fraizer and George Foreman for the Heavyweight Championship in Kingston, Jamaica on January 19th, 1973.

The words Cosell uttered then “Down Goes Frazier! Down Goes Frazier! Down Goes Frazier!” rings so true today with so many fans, whom seem to loathe the fact the Glazer’s ousted their fair haired golden boy, Jon Gruden. For a bright eyed, enigmatic, energetic, and charismatic up and coming coach in Raheem Morris.

Even, before Morris has the chance to oversee his first regular season game, fans have placed their disdain at such an epic magnitude, that many have set unrealistic goals for a team that was mediocre at best over the past few seasons, for no other reason, then Morris is not Gruden.

Brutal schedule, is an excuse some fans deem as a viable one, for the Bucs in 09′, if you’re part of the pro-Morris crowd along with the wholesale changes too the coaching staff and roster. But ultimately, what is and has always been the measure of sports franchises is the amount of Championships a team has won, which quantifies the status of a team, worthy of being called successful.

Rebuilding or reloading depending on what term you prefer to use, all mean the same thing generally speaking.

But to wish or suggest a coach should fail, because he is not or was not your choice as a fan, shows a lack of loyalty. Morris, will undoubtedly face a rocky start, but it’s not always about how you start, but more importantly how you finish that Morris should be judged upon.

As, the headline suggest, many in Buccaneer Nation would applaud such a headline, of course if it were actual true.

The only truth at the moment is that no one truly knows what to expect from Morris. Uncertainty, is quite frightening to many fanatics who’s lives revolve around how the team plays on Sundays. But to be disingenuous in ones approach towards Morris for no other reason then you think he was the wrong man for the job, with absolutely, not one single shred of information or a baseline to drawl a conclusion from is simply baseless an asinine.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#8 : September 09, 2009, 07:03:30 AM

I thought you were gonna start posting the links to stuff that you were reposting here, Yucc?

To those that care, the above can be found at http://www.bucscentral.com/general-news/down-goes-morris

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#9 : September 09, 2009, 07:07:13 AM

Cyber - That is my blog, no need for me to post a link to what I posted on my blog, then have people say I am trying to send traffic there.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#10 : September 09, 2009, 07:18:42 AM

Cyber - That is my blog, no need for me to post a link to what I posted on my blog, then have people say I am trying to send traffic there.

Nothing wrong with giving credit where credit is due. People should be allowed to check out your blog just like any other source link on this board. I think we all know how to find our way back here.

DKWEST

Starter

#11 : September 09, 2009, 07:45:38 AM

I support whomever wears the Pewter, Red, and White.

Jon Gruden was no exception, nor will be Raheem Morris.

I for one liked Jon Gruden,..  But that's not the reason why I'm not really pleased with the hiring of Raheem Morris.

The Glazers hired him without  interviewing Raheem,.. much less interviewing any other people for the job. This is a guy with Zero experience, and that has come through already with some of his decisions and actions. Enthusiasm will only take you so far. It's been my perception that he is in Way over his head.

This is a team that is one of only a few teams in the entire NFL that had a winning record 3 out of the last 4 seasons, as well as having 2 Division Championships.  

So this was a team that always had High Expectations,..   The bar has been lowered because of the new coach

bucshot420

Starter

#12 : September 09, 2009, 07:52:54 AM

I absolutely agree with what you said Yuccaneers.  I am sick and tired of some of the fans of this team.  I wouldn't say fairweather is accurate I think its more along the lines and bandwagon fans.  I remember as a kid back in the late 80's-early 90's being ridiculed because I was probably the only kid in the entire school to wear a Buccaneers shirt or hat.  Then once Dungy came and gave credibility those same people all of a sudden were Huge bucs fans.  I think its the cycle coming around again where just because our Super Bowl winning coach(whom I supported fully)is gone people are in panic mode because of the unknown.  As much as I liked Gruden as our coach,the last 2 years the way he was running the team from his stubbornness(refusing to hire an OC) to his failure to improve the offensive talent and develop a QB,it was time for him to go.  Yes Morris has made a few questionable decisions so far but that is to be expected by a YOUNG rookie coach.  I just wish some of the fans in this town would at least give him a season or two of support so we can see which direction this team is going before making snap judgments on the man that runs our favorite team.  But keep in mind even Dungy was awful during the first 2/3 of his first season here.

#13 : September 09, 2009, 08:06:39 AM

I am not now, nor have I ever been anti-Morris.  And you do have to consider the brutality of the schedule, along with the fact that Raheem is a first-year coach with new coordinators.

Again, if you think and rationalize with your heart before your head, the disappointments are quite a bit larger.

I'd love nothing more than a playoff appearance in 2009.  But how many fans TRULY think that is possible?

TheKeyStoneBucs

Second String

#14 : September 09, 2009, 08:11:01 AM

OK, I know it’s a play on words, in what was HBO Boxing’s first broadcast; the call was made by iconic sports broadcaster Howard Cosell for what became known as The Sunshine Showdown between Joe Fraizer and George Foreman for the Heavyweight Championship in Kingston, Jamaica on January 19th, 1973.

The words Cosell uttered then “Down Goes Frazier! Down Goes Frazier! Down Goes Frazier!” rings so true today with so many fans, whom seem to loathe the fact the Glazer’s ousted their fair haired golden boy, Jon Gruden. For a bright eyed, enigmatic, energetic, and charismatic up and coming coach in Raheem Morris.

Even, before Morris has the chance to oversee his first regular season game, fans have placed their disdain at such an epic magnitude, that many have set unrealistic goals for a team that was mediocre at best over the past few seasons, for no other reason, then Morris is not Gruden.

Brutal schedule, is an excuse some fans deem as a viable one, for the Bucs in 09′, if you’re part of the pro-Morris crowd along with the wholesale changes too the coaching staff and roster. But ultimately, what is and has always been the measure of sports franchises is the amount of Championships a team has won, which quantifies the status of a team, worthy of being called successful.

Rebuilding or reloading depending on what term you prefer to use, all mean the same thing generally speaking.

But to wish or suggest a coach should fail, because he is not or was not your choice as a fan, shows a lack of loyalty. Morris, will undoubtedly face a rocky start, but it’s not always about how you start, but more importantly how you finish that Morris should be judged upon.

As, the headline suggest, many in Buccaneer Nation would applaud such a headline, of course if it were actual true.

The only truth at the moment is that no one truly knows what to expect from Morris. Uncertainty, is quite frightening to many fanatics who’s lives revolve around how the team plays on Sundays. But to be disingenuous in ones approach towards Morris for no other reason then you think he was the wrong man for the job, with absolutely, not one single shred of information or a baseline to drawl a conclusion from is simply baseless an asinine.

They'll have to give Morris another year but that all he'll get.  So you are correct, Down goes Morris, Down goes Dominik, Down goes Freeman.

"Get the Funk out of Ma face"
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DOWN GOES MORRIS! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools