Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: You guys DO realize that the big plays given up can easily be fixed, right? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #15 : September 13, 2009, 04:45:41 PM »

Pass rush can't be easily fixed. The DEs just aren't good.

Sadly this is the truth.

OKC PAC

Hall of Famer

« #16 : September 13, 2009, 04:47:07 PM »

Too much confusion pre-snap, homework wasn't done at all on Dallas packages in my opinion.
Exactly...we were clearly out-coached today

Bring back GRUDEN!!!

MBF

Hall of Famer

« #17 : September 13, 2009, 04:49:25 PM »

Pass rush can't be easily fixed. The DEs just aren't good.

Sadly this is the truth.

Then we need to blitz more.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #18 : September 13, 2009, 04:49:59 PM »

Too much confusion pre-snap, homework wasn't done at all on Dallas packages in my opinion.

I can't disagree entirely with that take.

They needed to have those safties ready for those wrinkles.  But the safties made some boneheaded mistakes.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

« #19 : September 13, 2009, 05:00:05 PM »

They've had all preseason to fix the so called "breakdowns in coverage", i think its the scheme

Do you even know what a scheme is? I'll give you a hint: it's not being confused about where you're supposed to line up, playing coverage too closely, assuming the other safety is supposed to cover that guy, etc. All the mistakes were just that, mistakes. They weren't holes in the scheme. I'm not saying the scheme is perfect(no scheme is), but the deep plays were not a result of a poor scheme.

Also, I don't think we can understate how much missing Jackson hurt us. Phillips can play safety just fine, but unlike the other guys he had NO practice with this scheme at all because he was thrown back there halfway through the preseason.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

« #20 : September 13, 2009, 05:04:18 PM »

I can't disagree entirely with that take.

They needed to have those safties ready for those wrinkles.  But the safties made some boneheaded mistakes.

I agree to a point, but it's difficult to prepare for that when the team hasn't really seen much of Dallas. They revealed nothing in the preseason(like every other team), and their offense is different now that T.O. is gone.

bfarbs

Pro Bowler
« #21 : September 13, 2009, 05:05:14 PM »

They seemingly gave up 1 big pass play per game in preseason too.  Expect more until Tanard Jackson gets back at which point the coverage ability of the safeties will improve.  Also would help if we put a little pressure on QB. Gaines Adams was a ghost outside of his offsides penalty.

« #22 : September 13, 2009, 05:05:26 PM »

They've had all preseason to fix the so called "breakdowns in coverage", i think its the scheme
All the mistakes were just that, mistakes. They weren't holes in the scheme. I'm not saying the scheme is perfect(no scheme is), but the deep plays were not a result of a poor scheme.

Just out of curiosity, how many times do you have to see a scheme implemented and suffer from the same mistakes before you label it a poor scheme?

OKC PAC

Hall of Famer

« #23 : September 13, 2009, 05:10:59 PM »

Do you even know what a scheme is? I'll give you a hint: it's not being confused about where you're supposed to line up, playing coverage too closely, assuming the other safety is supposed to cover that guy, etc. All the mistakes were just that, mistakes. They weren't holes in the scheme. I'm not saying the scheme is perfect(no scheme is), but the deep plays were not a result of a poor scheme.

Also, I don't think we can understate how much missing Jackson hurt us. Phillips can play safety just fine, but unlike the other guys he had NO practice with this scheme at all because he was thrown back there halfway through the preseason.
To give you a little clue...the coach should have had the team ready.  This defense was not ready to play, therefore his SCHEME is not working.

Bring back GRUDEN!!!

nubcake

Hall of Famer

« #24 : September 13, 2009, 05:11:25 PM »

All the mistakes were just that, mistakes. They weren't holes in the scheme. I'm not saying the scheme is perfect(no scheme is), but the deep plays were not a result of a poor scheme.

Just out of curiosity, how many times do you have to see a scheme implemented and suffer from the same mistakes before you label it a poor scheme?

Good question. You'd have to take several things into account, such as the players involved(do they know the scheme? Do they have the talent?), the coaches(do they call the right plays to fit the scheme?), the teams and offenses they've played during said period of time, etc. Whatever the amount of games may be, I think it's safe to say that it's more than one regular season game.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

« #25 : September 13, 2009, 05:15:35 PM »

To give you a little clue...the coach should have had the team ready.  This defense was not ready to play, therefore his SCHEME is not working.

Ah, thanks for clarifying that you indeed have no clue what a scheme is. A scheme involves an approach to running an offense or defense. Poor coaching has NOTHING to do whether or not a scheme works. The best coach in the world at calling a "run the ball down your throat" scheme would probably not do well in a scheme like the Patriots run. That doesn't mean the Pats scheme fails, it means the coach fails or fails at that particular scheme. So even if your premise is correct that this is all poor coaching and rustiness doesn't exist because players are always 100% ready for the season after learning a new scheme(hint: your premise is not correct), you're still using horrible logic in suggesting that the scheme must therefore also suck.

OKC PAC

Hall of Famer

« #26 : September 13, 2009, 05:18:36 PM »

lets examine the GREAT BATES...he sucked in Denver and sucked here!  Go back to his Miami days a decade ago to find success

Bring back GRUDEN!!!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #27 : September 13, 2009, 05:19:21 PM »

This defense was not ready to play, therefore his SCHEME is not working.

Nobody has ever accused you of being logical.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

« #28 : September 13, 2009, 05:23:18 PM »

lets examine the GREAT BATES...he sucked in Denver and sucked here!  Go back to his Miami days a decade ago to find success

Uh, no. Slowik was the coordinator, Bates was the assistant. But you know, let's not let the facts get in the way of the sky falling or anything.

BUCINRIGHT

Rookie

« #29 : September 13, 2009, 06:06:22 PM »

Poor coaching then...big plays been going on all pre-sesason.  Every game we give up at least a 60-70 yard play.

Fail. Aside from the Jacksonville game, all the big plays happened against the 3rd and 4th stringers.
Yeah regardless who its against, if the other teams see a weakness in the scheme, it will be evident on tape whether it is against 4th string or 1st string.  You see the weakness on film, then come game time, try to exploit said weakness.  That is what happened today 3 times.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: You guys DO realize that the big plays given up can easily be fixed, right? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools