Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WR Prospect for R2 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #30 : February 17, 2007, 10:31:23 AM »

I like Gonzalez a lot - I think he's one of the most underrated WRs in this draft. He's probably a tweener for us though - not good enough to take at 2a and too good to take at 2b.

I'm also interested in Paul Williams (fresno state).

And folks - when 2 of your top 3 WRs are in the mid-30s, then drafting a WR is important.
I agree about Gonzo.  I watched the guy play, he has a nice edge to him.  He is a good wideout, IMO...

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #31 : February 17, 2007, 10:40:28 AM »

We saw against UF what this guy was all about without Ginn in the lineup - and it wasn't pretty.

I guess he should have blocked better, maybe you missed that he's not an offensive lineman.

I also saw zero separation, poor routes, and failed to see this "speed" he is supposed to have. 

Maybe you missed all that, I'm not sure.  Watch the game again and look at him.  Even on the few occasions where Smith had time this guy was pretty much nowhere to be found.  And it's not like he was being doubled all the time either. 

He'll be like Peerless Price.  Great when Moulds was there to take away all the attention but miserable when he had to be the guy.  IMO you don't take these types of players R1 or R2.  I think Gonzalez is a #3 WR at best. 

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #32 : February 17, 2007, 10:44:13 AM »

We saw against UF what this guy was all about without Ginn in the lineup - and it wasn't pretty.

I guess he should have blocked better, maybe you missed that he's not an offensive lineman.

I also saw zero separation, poor routes, and failed to see this "speed" he is supposed to have.

Maybe you missed all that, I'm not sure. Watch the game again and look at him. Even on the few occasions where Smith had time this guy was pretty much nowhere to be found. And it's not like he was being doubled all the time either.

He'll be like Peerless Price. Great when Moulds was there to take away all the attention but miserable when he had to be the guy. IMO you don't take these types of players R1 or R2. I think Gonzalez is a #3 WR at best.
One game does not a career make...UF played a monstrous game.  But did they play like that the entire year?  No.  So really, it is hard to say a guy is a flop based on a single game, in which the entire team stunk it up...

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #33 : February 17, 2007, 10:50:07 AM »

Maybe you missed all that, I'm not sure. Watch the game again and look at him. Even on the few occasions where Smith had time this guy was pretty much nowhere to be found. And it's not like he was being doubled all the time either.

He'll be like Peerless Price. Great when Moulds was there to take away all the attention but miserable when he had to be the guy. IMO you don't take these types of players R1 or R2. I think Gonzalez is a #3 WR at best.
One game does not a career make...UF played a monstrous game. But did they play like that the entire year? No. So really, it is hard to say a guy is a flop based on a single game, in which the entire team stunk it up...

I singled thatgame out for 2 reasons. 

1. It was a game against a premiere Defense - something he rarely faced all season
2. The knock above was he looked good because of Ginn.  Well, Ginn was out of the game and we saw his production.

I disagree about OSU stinking it up.  They got flat outplayed and could not handle the speed and spread formations UF threw at them.  Their bigger OL could not handle the speed of our ends.  Their WR could not get separation from out faster DB's.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #34 : February 17, 2007, 10:56:31 AM »

They just looked flat to me Ray.  Having 50 days off will do that I guess, but it is their own damn fault.

Once again, one game does not define a career.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #35 : February 17, 2007, 11:01:58 AM »

1. It was a game against a premiere Defense - something he rarely faced all season
2. The knock above was he looked good because of Ginn.  Well, Ginn was out of the game and we saw his production.

OK, Smith completed 4 passes....how much production should any WR have?

No one is saying he's friggin' CJ. When you draft him in R2 he doesn't have to be Batman, we can be Robin since we don't have that guy right now that 's a useful bit to get.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #36 : February 17, 2007, 11:12:35 AM »

They just looked flat to me Ray. Having 50 days off will do that I guess, but it is their own damn fault.

Once again, one game does not define a career.

Ok, how about his whole season?

He had TWO 100+ yard games this year.  142 against Texas, who boasted the Nations 99th ranked pass defense out of 119 teams.  That sure gets me drooling.  His other was 118 against Michigan State, and their powerhouse 97th ranked Pass defense.

His other "big" games were 77 yards against Iowa and their 77th rated D, 69 yards vs. Indiana and their 93rd, and perhaps his best of 85 yards vs. Cincinnati and their 58th rated D.

He had 6 games with 34 or less yards.  8 games 53 or less.  And this was with the Heisman trophy QB throwing to him all year?  I don't believe Ginn was getting EVERY ball, so why did this guy not produce more?  Sorry if I want my #2 WR to show up a bit more than 2-3 games.

Look at his games against better pass defenses.  Florida, 2 catches 11 yards.  Illinois (31st D) 2 catches, 18 yards.  Notice those 2 games 1 they lost and the other barely won 17-10.  Shouldn't those be the games he needs to show up?  Penn State, 2 for 16 yards.  

Sorry, I am just not impressed by the guy, and it stems from much more than 1 game.  He basically has only had 1 good season, and as shown above it wasn't even that good.  I think he should have played 1 more year in CFB and got a little more experience.  The guy only caught 28 balls last year to go with his 51 this year.  I jsut don't think he is a guy I want to throw my #2 pick at is all.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #37 : February 17, 2007, 11:25:01 AM »

Weaknesses:
Only started for one season in college and was never the main focus of defenses attention...Did not make many big plays...May have some trouble beating the jam at the line...Has some trouble with physical corners...Was shut down in the BCS Championship game (along with the rest of the Buckeye offense) when Ted Ginn, Jr. was injured...Doesn't do much after the catch...May never be a true #1 target.

Was overshadowed by his teammate Ginn but some feel he may wind up being a better pro...Was used as more of a possession receiver in college and often times worked out of the slot but his physical tools lead you to believe he could be much more...He reminds me a bit of Kevin Curtis...Probably best suited to be a #2 or #3 wideout at the next level...He'll never be a star but will be a valuable contributor.

From NFL DC. 

Ok, so say he does turn out to be Kevin Curtis.  Woudl you spend a high 2nd round pick on Kevin Curtis?  A guy who is the past 3 full season averaged 45 balls for 575 yards and 4 TD?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #38 : February 17, 2007, 11:30:38 AM »

"Strengths: Drives off the line, changes directions well and is a crisp short-to-intermediate route-runner. Shows good awareness and settles into soft spots when reads zone. Is tough and isn't afraid to go over the middle. Extends arms and catches ball away from frame. Shields defenders from the ball, shows good focus and can make the tough catch in traffic. Has excellent body control and can adjust to passes thrown outside frame. Wastes little motion turning upfield after catches and has good top-end speed. Runs hard, stays balanced and flashes the ability to pick up yards after contact. Uses hands fairly well, plays with a wide base and sustains blocks once in position. Has some experience returning kicks and can contribute on special teams. Steadily progressed at the collegiate level and should continue to improve with experience."

Seems there are conflicting opinions as to the young man's potential future. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #39 : February 17, 2007, 11:37:02 AM »

If I am going to take a guy who played 2nd and 3rd fiddle in college, I would rather take a guy like Steve Smith in the mid-rounds who also runs great routes and has good hands but had 2 productive years in college.

Even a guy like Jacoby Jones, Dallas Baker, Rhema McKnight, Jason Hill all look to be the same type of WR as AG and can be had much cheaper. 

Just don't see the reasoning behind  spending a high R2 pick on this guy when you can get much better value in the mid rounds, esepcially when some other positions of weakness should have soem guys fall to that spot. 

Short of a guy like Rice or Meachem falling to the R2a pick I don't think we should be taking a WR.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #40 : February 17, 2007, 11:37:44 AM »

"Strengths: Drives off the line, changes directions well and is a crisp short-to-intermediate route-runner. Shows good awareness and settles into soft spots when reads zone. Is tough and isn't afraid to go over the middle. Extends arms and catches ball away from frame. Shields defenders from the ball, shows good focus and can make the tough catch in traffic. Has excellent body control and can adjust to passes thrown outside frame. Wastes little motion turning upfield after catches and has good top-end speed. Runs hard, stays balanced and flashes the ability to pick up yards after contact. Uses hands fairly well, plays with a wide base and sustains blocks once in position. Has some experience returning kicks and can contribute on special teams. Steadily progressed at the collegiate level and should continue to improve with experience."

Seems there are conflicting opinions as to the young man's potential future.

Where are the weaknesses from this?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #41 : February 17, 2007, 11:45:28 AM »

At the top of the page, the quote was from Dal's posting of Scouts eval.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #42 : February 25, 2007, 04:20:30 PM »

Gonzalez will easily run a 4.4 at the combine. Very underrated WR.

4.44, not the 4.39 he was said to be.

About what I figured. 

buckit

Hall of Famer

« #43 : February 26, 2007, 12:07:46 PM »

Hes a good 3rd rounder. But I rather go defense the rest of the draft.
He thrived off Ted Ginn Jr. Not being racist but white WR's nowadays aren't succesfull in the NFL,exception Drew Bennent.

Or Brandon Stokely, or Matt Jones, or Joe Jurevicious, or Eddie McCaffrey...shall I go on?  Your assesment of white vs black players is assanine.

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WR Prospect for R2 « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools