Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Study: Spankings increases aggressiveness in children « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

Ironphist

Hall of Famer

: September 15, 2009, 07:20:58 PM

if there is a study on spanking not changing the behavior, then the spanking was done incorrectly...  you bust a$$ when it is necessary and you lead your household.  when they respect and fear the consequences (not the parent), you're creating discipline.  to not provide that to your child is a disservice.

if the notion is the world would be a better place without discipline then we really have freakin' lost it as a species...

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#1 : September 15, 2009, 02:06:38 PM

TUESDAY, Sept. 15 (HealthDay News) -- Children who are spanked as 1-year-olds are more likely to behave aggressively and perform worse on cognitive tests as toddlers than children who are spared the punishment, new research shows.

Though the negative effects of spanking were "modest," the study adds to a growing body of literature that's finding spanking isn't good for children.

"Age 1 is a key time for establishing the quality of the parenting and the relationship between parent and the child," said study author Lisa J. Berlin, a research scientist at the Center for Child and Family Policy at Duke University. "Spanking at age 1 reflects a negative dynamic, and increases children's aggression at age 2."

The study is published in the September/October issue of Child Development.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20090915/hl_hsn/earlyspankingsmakeforaggressivetoddlersstudyshows

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#2 : September 16, 2009, 10:16:16 AM

Simpler argument is that spanking was a common method of discipline for most of American history.

In fact, the violent crime rate is well over 2x what it was in 1960.

Not per capita it isn't. 

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

In 1960 the violent crime rate was 62%.  In 2008 it was 22%.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 15, 2009, 03:27:58 PM

Spanking at any age at best is no deterrent against future behavior, at worst actually increases negative behavior in later life.

Spanking is the lazy parent's way out...

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#4 : September 15, 2009, 03:49:16 PM

hmmm, im pretty sure that spanking was much more prevalent in the past few generations, yet todays youth seem much more violent and aggressive than in the past.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

#5 : September 15, 2009, 04:49:28 PM

Or maybe aggressive children are more likely to get spanked? I don't see causation established here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6 : September 15, 2009, 04:55:31 PM

There is a right and a wrong way to discipline children; and spanking can fall into either category, depending on how it is done IMHO.

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#7 : September 15, 2009, 05:00:53 PM

Spanking a 1 or 2 year old is a little too much and they should just get a pop on the hand with a very firm "NO" when they misbehave, but after that I plan on dishing out plenty of spankings if my child does not wanna listen.

#8 : September 15, 2009, 05:01:57 PM

Spanking a 1 or 2 year old is a little too much and they should just get a pop on the hand with a very firm "NO" when they misbehave, but after that I plan on dishing out plenty of spankings if my child does not wanna listen.

And when do you break out the old punch in the face?

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#9 : September 15, 2009, 05:13:11 PM

And when do you break out the old punch in the face?

When I see you - lol.

#10 : September 15, 2009, 05:20:39 PM

Not likely, I shop at Menard's now. They're cheaper than Home Depot and have a better selection.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : September 15, 2009, 05:25:41 PM

Spanking at any age at best is no deterrent against future behavior, at worst actually increases negative behavior in later life.

You never met my Dad. Called my Mom a **CENSORED**, got a good spanking, never called her a **CENSORED** again. Stole ten bucks from his wallet, good a good spanking, never stole from him again. Skipped school one day, good a real good spanking, never skipped school again.

Couldn't ask for a better father. There wasn't a lazy thing about him, especially his parenting. To this day I am respectful, honest and dedicated and I have him to thank for helping towards these characteristics.

It is all in how it's done and followed up on.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#12 : September 15, 2009, 05:46:27 PM

hmmm, im pretty sure that spanking was much more prevalent in the past few generations, yet todays youth seem much more violent and aggressive than in the past.

Actually, violent crime rates have steadily declined over the last 10 years.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#13 : September 15, 2009, 05:46:47 PM

As with most things it is not what you do, but when and how you do it. I spank my kids, but rarely. When they do get spanked they know they are in deep trouble. Going to McDonalds isn't bad for you, going to McDonalds every day is. Same with spanking. Apart from anything else, I don't think anybody "spanked" their 1 year old. Smack on the hand maybe, but not a spanking.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#14 : September 15, 2009, 05:47:56 PM

Got kids?
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Study: Spankings increases aggressiveness in children « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools