Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Study: Spankings increases aggressiveness in children « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

bucpimpin

Pro Bowler
#30 : September 15, 2009, 08:01:30 PM

My son is 2 and I woop his ass when he acts up. Then he goes to time out.

Ironphist

Hall of Famer

#31 : September 16, 2009, 12:58:25 AM

yeah, just reason with children who have no point of reference...  brilliant.

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler

#32 : September 16, 2009, 12:54:55 AM

Nothing says good parenting like some child abuse.  Who needs communication and problem solving skills when you can just beat them into submissive compliance?

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler

#33 : September 16, 2009, 01:03:19 AM

yeah, just reason with children who have no point of reference... brilliant.

Your right. Beat that point of reference right into them. Thats a good way to educate someone you love....abuse them.

Why stop with the children?

When grandma doesnt take her meds, a couple smacks is a good way to help her get what she needs.

If the wife forgets that friday is pizza night, she needs a blackeye to remind her throughout the week. 7pm mushrooms and extra cheese.

"Spare the rod, spoil the child that I whip harder than I would a farm animal."

Ironphist

Hall of Famer

#34 : September 16, 2009, 01:06:15 AM

nah, i'll just explain during time out how they shouldn't burn the dog, throw fastballs through the window, or destroy someone else's property because nothing teaches a punk to be a well mannered kid like no threat of consequences of their actions.  prison's full of repeat offenders, death row isn't...

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#35 : September 16, 2009, 01:37:13 AM

The problem that is going on in many homes today is that there's not an equal mix of these 3 things - love, respect, and fear. If you can get those all going equally you have a great shot, but if not then that child is gonna run your household and possibly ruin your life.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#36 : September 16, 2009, 01:44:25 AM

nah, i'll just explain during time out how they shouldn't burn the dog, throw fastballs through the window, or destroy someone else's property because nothing teaches a punk to be a well mannered kid like no threat of consequences of their actions. prison's full of repeat offenders, death row isn't...

If your kids are lighting the dog on fire that might be an indication of a serious problem. You might to consider checking that out.

As far as the death penalty....the point is supposed to be deterance. And since the murder rate has gone up since the death penalty was put in place (and higher crime in states that do have it)....I'd say its not working too well for that goal.

Ironphist

Hall of Famer

#37 : September 16, 2009, 02:00:10 AM

mine aren't, just an example, but pick up a freakin' paper - the oddball stories about youth gone wild are out there.  look, i'm not advocating violently beating your kids, jiminy crickets!  nobody that suggests spanking their children are on board with beating their ass with a fist, dumbasss incidents of child abuse aside.  i could care less about deterrence as long as the guy that rapes a young girl dies.  i don't know how accurate the murder rate claim is, but i'm not doubting you, that said - it is absolutely comical if you are tying the success of the death penalty to the disciplinary actions of parents in reference to their child rearing.  it was an analogy, and cyber, you knew that...

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#38 : September 16, 2009, 08:26:36 AM

Nothing says good parenting like some child abuse. Who needs communication and problem solving skills when you can just beat them into submissive compliance?

If you have trouble discerning the difference between spanking and child abuse maybe you should stay away from it. Maybe you should also stay away from buffet lines if you have  trouble with excessive tendencies.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#39 : September 16, 2009, 09:39:53 AM

Simpler argument is that spanking was a common method of discipline for most of American history.

Now assuming that spanking was more common in 1960 and 1962 (and it almost certainly was) than it was in 1998 and 2000 there is no good correlation between aggressive, anti-social behavior and spanking. In fact, the violent crime rate is well over 2x what it was in 1960.

You can take a gander here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_Violent_Crime_Rate.jpg

I don't need crummy social scientists and trained child aggression observers.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#40 : September 16, 2009, 09:48:28 AM

Spanking at any age at best is no deterrent against future behavior, at worst actually increases negative behavior in later life.

Spanking is the lazy parent's way out...

You have the wrong opinion on pretty much everything.

Feel free to disprove me with some data.  I'll wait.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#41 : September 16, 2009, 10:01:36 AM

Spanking at any age at best is no deterrent against future behavior, at worst actually increases negative behavior in later life.

Spanking is the lazy parent's way out...

Got kids?

Yep. 2. Ages 15 and 5. Both raised in a non-spank household. The oldest is an A student (at the moment, lol) who's always had steller behavior at school. Has she gotten in trouble, sure. But we've found that the reward/take away method works REALLY well, especially when they get to be teens.

The little one has my temper. So when she starts screaming hitting and throwing a fit, we pick her up, and set her down in a chair on the back porch. She's allowed back in only when she's calm and civil. What at first took 30+mins, now takes about 2 or 3. She calms down, chills out, then we discuss the situation and re-inforce the rules. Sure it takes a hell of a lot more time and effort, but hey, I chose to have kids. I refuse to cop out by hitting them.

Good for you- lets hope the timeout chair keeps working...I have 2 boys that I rarely have ever had to spank, but when they have deserved it they have gotten it. Both are straight A students. Both are in honors courses. The oldest has already earned college credit. The oldest is one of the tops on his Soccer club, while the other is a great little baseball player. Both love sports, love school, have alot of friends. Are very respectful of adults. They both misbehave like any other kid but for the most part are well mannered, well rounded, good boys who respect their parents, adults, their teachers , and authority.

I was spanked and much worse than I have ever spanked. And I never ever got a spanking I did  not deserve. I deserved every one of them. I know damn well my parents loved me every bit of the way too.

I am married - raising two great kids, work in a great profession. Have two college degrees and a Masters. Married to  beautiful girl who was spanked as well who is also a professional with her Masters. We have both been very successful, law abiding, tax paying citizens, who are raising good boys.

For you to imply some how parents who spank are lazy---- is retarded. Are you seriously going to blanket an entire population? If so lets hope your girls don't inherit your intellectual prowess-- every child deserves better than that.

The goal of a parent is to prepare the child for the world.  Part of the preperation is to equip them with good decision making skills.  Spanking does not accomplish this goal.  In fact, there is even data that suggests spanking has a negative coorelation to cognitive ability (ie--decision making).  If I hit my kids whenever they break a rule, what happens when they get out into the world?  Their boss isn't going to hit them.  It serves no purpose toward future decision making.  We have to teach our kids to recognize rules, boundries and prepare them to navigate through life. 

The parents here who actually support spanking have obviously not read any of the actual data.  After many years and many independant, peer reviewed studies, it is clear that spanking a child has NO positive effect on future behavior.  And some studies even suggest a negative impact on both cognition and behavior in children.  Even if we take only the rock solid, inarguable evidence, spanking simply doesn't work.  WE KNOW THIS.  Yet as a society, we continue to hit our kids rather than learn effective parenting strategies (that have been around for 20 years now).  Why?  Because we're freakin lazy.  Our priorities are out of whack.  The same parents on this board that will research something as meaningless as football stats, are the same parents that find it too cumbersome to research this issue.  It blows my mind.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#42 : September 16, 2009, 10:04:41 AM

if there is a study on spanking not changing the behavior, then the spanking was done incorrectly... you bust a$$ when it is necessary and you lead your household. when they respect and fear the consequences (not the parent), you're creating discipline. to not provide that to your child is a disservice.

if the notion is the world would be a better place without discipline then we really have freakin' lost it as a species...

Link?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#43 : September 16, 2009, 10:21:23 AM

Nothing says good parenting like some child abuse. Who needs communication and problem solving skills when you can just beat them into submissive compliance?

If you have trouble discerning the difference between spanking and child abuse maybe you should stay away from it. Maybe you should also stay away from buffet lines if you have  trouble with excessive tendencies.

LMAO.

Sad but true.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#44 : September 16, 2009, 10:34:07 AM

Not per capita it isn't. 

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

In 1960 the violent crime rate was 62%.  In 2008 it was 22%.

Since you didn't scroll down nor understand the concept of a rate:

1960 the violent crime rate per 100,000 people was 160.0
2008 the violent crime rate per 100,000 people was 454.5

In other words almost 3x as bad based on your link.

I have no idea where you got your silly looking numbers.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Study: Spankings increases aggressiveness in children « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools