Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: That's Why You're in the Booth « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#30 : September 15, 2009, 03:32:12 PM

Dude, Buffalo had the ball three times in the second half and scored twice.

And you might not want to take Buck It's word on the onside kicks success rate, it's actually a little over 20% since 2003.

The D had a good handle on that offense, not sure if you were watching the game at all but it was pretty easy to see. They scored a FG and got a bogus call to keep a drive alive at a point when it should have been a 45-50yrd FG attempt.

Regardless if it's 30%, with all TO's and the 2 minute warning you'd have to be a retard to on-side it in that situation.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#31 : September 15, 2009, 03:35:37 PM

Argue away with Buffalo scoring 66% of the time in the second half, but you just trying to rationalize a decision that could have gone either way, honestly.

If Belichick onside kicks and recovers, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be calling him a moron for doing it.

blitz

Pro Bowler
#32 : September 15, 2009, 03:39:28 PM

As I watched the Pats/Bills game last night, they asked Gruden a "what would you do question".  He said he'd onside kick it with just over 2 mins left and all 3 timeouts.  I thought to myself that that didn't sound like good football sense (why not kick it away and spend your timeouts on defense, right?)  Sure enough, the Pats kicked it deep, forced a fumble and then scored the go ahead TD off of it.  And at that moment it dawned on me "That's why you're in the booth, and he's still down there coaching"...

YOU LIE.   He said he'd kick it deep with all the time outs remaining.  Exactly what the Pats did.   Jaws praised him for his wisdom.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#33 : September 15, 2009, 03:49:58 PM

What about when Gruden said "If I'm Brady here I'm looking to hit a TE down the seam" or something like that and sure enough Brady did that not once but twice to get 2 TD's.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

BUCarino

Pro Bowler

#34 : September 15, 2009, 03:52:38 PM

As I watched the Pats/Bills game last night, they asked Gruden a "what would you do question".  He said he'd onside kick it with just over 2 mins left and all 3 timeouts.  I thought to myself that that didn't sound like good football sense (why not kick it away and spend your timeouts on defense, right?)  Sure enough, the Pats kicked it deep, forced a fumble and then scored the go ahead TD off of it.  And at that moment it dawned on me "That's why you're in the booth, and he's still down there coaching"...

YOU LIE.   He said he'd kick it deep with all the time outs remaining.  Exactly what the Pats did.   Jaws praised him for his wisdom.

Actually No I will have to take his side on this as gruden said he would onsides kick the ball and Jaw's said he disagreed as he would kick it deep.  Gruden praised Jaws for his wisdom after the fumble.

"Life's too short not to live in caution,
But life's too long not to live at all!"

BUCarino

Pro Bowler

#35 : September 15, 2009, 03:53:42 PM

What about when Gruden said "If I'm Brady here I'm looking to hit a TE down the seam" or something like that and sure enough Brady did that not once but twice to get 2 TD's.

Yes, he did say that as he said that's the way you attack a two deep zone as that is what the Bill's were playing.

"Life's too short not to live in caution,
But life's too long not to live at all!"

blitz

Pro Bowler
#36 : September 15, 2009, 04:01:16 PM

As I watched the Pats/Bills game last night, they asked Gruden a "what would you do question".  He said he'd onside kick it with just over 2 mins left and all 3 timeouts.  I thought to myself that that didn't sound like good football sense (why not kick it away and spend your timeouts on defense, right?)  Sure enough, the Pats kicked it deep, forced a fumble and then scored the go ahead TD off of it.  And at that moment it dawned on me "That's why you're in the booth, and he's still down there coaching"...

YOU LIE.   He said he'd kick it deep with all the time outs remaining.  Exactly what the Pats did.   Jaws praised him for his wisdom.

Actually No I will have to take his side on this as gruden said he would onsides kick the ball and Jaw's said he disagreed as he would kick it deep.  Gruden praised Jaws for his wisdom after the fumble.

I've got the tape if you want to hear it.  ">)  He obviously can't tell Jon's voice from Jaws.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#37 : September 15, 2009, 04:13:44 PM

ROFLMAO; Gruden has you guys all in a ruckus over his onside kick comment when I know from seeing enough of his games as Bucs HC there's no way he would've gone for the onside kick in that scenario. Even with our plodding 2 yard runs and 5 yard passes for an offense which ate up more time than a "normal" NFL offense, he always kicked away. He did say it with a smile/smirk on his face; no way he was serious...

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#38 : September 15, 2009, 04:16:53 PM

So....if the Pats would of onside kicked, recovered it, then drove down and scored, this would be a topic about how Gruden belongs on the sideline?

The point is, they wouldn't have.  Considering onside kicks have less than a 10% success rate, it made no sense to OSK with all 3 timeouts and the 2 minute warning.

agreed.  Situational football at it's finest....

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#39 : September 15, 2009, 04:19:09 PM

Gruden's in the booth because his draft picks have been abysmal, not because he made a comment in passing during MNF. I doubt he'd actually do that had he been wearing the headset.
Let us not forget BA abysmal drafting as well...I am sure Gruden wanted a LOT of different guys that BA went ahead and got anyhow...

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#40 : September 15, 2009, 04:35:22 PM

arm chair coaches crack me up.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#41 : September 15, 2009, 05:06:07 PM

So....if the Pats would of onside kicked, recovered it, then drove down and scored, this would be a topic about how Gruden belongs on the sideline?

The point is, they wouldn't have. �Considering onside kicks have less than a 10% success rate, it made no sense to OSK with all 3 timeouts and the 2 minute warning.

what's the percentage for kick returners having a total brain fart and coming out of the end zone and coughing up the ball when all you need to do is protect the football and kill clock?  probably lower than 10%.  the bills had just shoved a LOOOOONG drive down the patriots' throat, i think they would've been well within reason trying to avoid going on defense

also, what others have said - this statement isn't consistent with what we've seen him do, i think he may have outsmarted himself trying to get inside belichick's head.  either that or he was just stirring up poop, which is part of a broadcaster's job.

#42 : September 15, 2009, 05:15:04 PM

Isn't it odd how Belichick didn't become a genius until after he lucked onto Brady? Must be coincidence...

SanDiegoBucs

Rookie
#43 : September 15, 2009, 05:24:29 PM

I don't think Gruden will be in the booth next season...unless he signed a 2 year contract, but there may be a couple teams looking for an experienced head coach next season.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#44 : September 15, 2009, 05:48:02 PM

Maybe being in the booth will help him to communicate better with everyone-his biggest flaw.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: That's Why You're in the Booth « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools