Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: That's Why You're in the Booth « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

escobar

Hall of Famer

#75 : September 16, 2009, 04:37:30 AM

I watched the NFC Championship game against the Eagles again today.  Gruden's play calling in that one was nothing short of genius.   

Do you have it recorded java or is it available online somewhere? I wanna see it.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#76 : September 16, 2009, 04:39:51 AM

I have it recorded.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#77 : September 16, 2009, 07:35:28 AM

Gruden's in the booth because his draft picks have been abysmal, not because he made a comment in passing during MNF. I doubt he'd actually do that had he been wearing the headset.
He seldom took gambles.
And your point is?

Gruden's in the booth because his draft picks have been abysmal, not because he made a comment in passing during MNF. I doubt he'd actually do that had he been wearing the headset.

Geno Hayes, Michael Clayton, Cadillac Williams, Brian Clark, Earnest Graham, Donald Penn, Davin Joseph, Arron Sears, Jeremy Zuttah, Jeremy Trueblood, Quincy Black, Dre Moore, Barret Ruud, Sabby, Aqib Talib, Elbert Mack, Adam Heyward - thats over a half team worth of starters along with other quality value picks/free agent finds. And if we weren't a record amount UNDER the salary cap the rest of the roster would be great.

I don't know if anyone noticed but the Giants released their 5th, 6th, and 7th round pick from 2009 in the preseason. Bill Belichick drafted a guy named Chad Jackson in round 1 and released him within 2 years. It happens everywhere, to every coach/GM.

Gruden's in the booth by choice. When he wants a head coaching job he will have a list of teams to choose from at the D1 level and NFL.
I know Gruden made some good picks, not once have I ever disputed that. But some haven't worked out as well as we needed them to.

And I agree, Gruden will have plenty of opportunities to coach again.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#78 : September 16, 2009, 09:07:41 AM

I'm not sure why, since Buffalo had scored on 3 of their 7 drives in the game.  That's 43%.

At that point, Buffalo would've run 3 straight and punted.... taking the safe route, just like Chucky.

And for anyone to say that the Pats were lucky is B-S. It was no accident that Merriweather went for the strip as opposed to the tackle. Same thing in a playoff game vs the Chargers a few years ago. On a game clinching drive, Brady throws an INT and Troy Brown strips the ball from the defender, recovers, and the Pats go on to win the game. Thats on the coaching.... and as Bruschi said last nite, being prepared for any "situation".

I was going to bring that up too Hate.  Bruschi says that and then Millen says "whatever, every team coaches for situations...."  Funny how that all worked out in Detroit huh Matt?  He sucks as a GM and commentator.  Is was funny after he spoke that Bruschi reiterated what he said before and you could tell he wanted to punch Millen in the grille.  Too Funny!!

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#79 : September 16, 2009, 09:38:44 AM

I watched the NFC Championship game against the Eagles again today. Gruden's play calling in that one was nothing short of genius.

Gruden has had his moments, sure enough.  He's called some brilliant games.  Consistancy seemed to be an issue though.  He'll always been one of my favorite coaches.  But the point of the thread was to highlight a small look inside the decision making of a coach who's no longer employed in the NFL vs one who is.  This is a game of inches.  If there were the Bucs with JG at the helm, and he had onside kicked, I'dve been furious.  While I'll always like JG, he's no Bill Bellichick.  I still have my doubts that Morris will do much of anything in comparison to Gruden, but I do like the fact that he doesn't carry the playbooks.  More and more I'm beginning to believe that the HC's job is to manage the game on game day, not call plays. 

Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: That's Why You're in the Booth « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools