Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Eyeing OL « previous next »
Page: 1 2

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

: October 17, 2006, 09:16:20 AM

- The Bucs say they are shopping, and given the team's needs they could be perusing the offensive tackle and defensive backs aisle.

Coach Jon Gruden on Monday admitted there are players the team would like to pick up before today's 4 p.m. trade deadline.

"We are looking at some specific players in the league," Gruden said. "Not everybody, but we are targeting specific players and the opportunity of acquiring them."

Internet reports claim the Bucs are offering up various players, including CB Brian Kelly, DT Anthony McFarland, DE Simeon Rice and SS Jermaine Phillips. Another big name being mentioned as trade bait is Cardinals OT Leonard Davis.

With Kelly's status for the remainder of the season in doubt, the Bucs could be looking to bring in a cornerback. The Bills reportedly are shopping Pro Bowl CB Nate Clements. He carries a hefty cap value (Clements signed a one-year, $7.2 million contract after the Bills placed the franchise tag on him) but would provide stability at that position.

Kelly said playing on the Field Turf last week at New Orleans reaggravated the turf toe injury that sidelined him for two consecutive games. He missed his third game of the season Sunday against Cincinnati.

"They tell me there's a chance surgery could fix that," Gruden said. "It's unfortunate it's just not getting better. He's just not able to go right now, so until he can go we'll continue to play the guys who are well enough."

McCOWN CLOSE TO RETURN: Backup QB Luke McCown will return to the practice field Wednesday after serving his six weeks on the physically unable to perform list.

The Bucs will have 21 days to evaluate McCown's progress and see how he has rehabilitated the serious knee injury he sustained in an offseason workout. When and if the Bucs decide to place McCown on the 53-man roster, they'll have to create room by either releasing a player, possibly QB Tim Rattay, or by placing QB Chris Simms on injured reserve.

"He looks good out there on the field going through the bags and going through all the drills and throwing the football," Gruden said of McCown. "Putting him underneath the center and having him react in a football uniform will be something we have to look at."

O-LINE CHANGES: Sean Mahan, who started every game at right guard last season and three games this year, replaced LG Dan Buenning in Sunday's victory, but Gruden wouldn't say if that will be a permanent move.

"We're going to continue to look at that and try to get the best five guys on the field," Gruden said.

PROTECTING THE QB: Gruden said he thought Carolina DE Al Wallace should have been penalized for his hit on Simms in the Bucs' 26-24 loss to the Panthers on Sept. 24. As for Cincinnati DE Justin Smith's controversial penalty Sunday for roughing QB Bruce Gradkowski, Gruden said he didn't see the play.

Smith was penalized 15 yards during the Bucs' game-winning touchdown drive in the fourth quarter.

"I realize it's a questionable call in the game," Gruden said. "There were several plays in the game, forget about officiating, that could have turned the tide in the football game, not just that one."

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#1 : October 17, 2006, 10:09:11 AM

"I didn't see the play." ....that my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!

Orangegone1

Starter

#2 : October 17, 2006, 10:35:13 AM

With good OL so hard to get why would the Cardinals trade L.Davis. I have not followed that situation.

SCBUCFAN

Pro Bowler

#3 : October 17, 2006, 10:40:06 AM

With good OL so hard to get why would the Cardinals trade L.Davis. I have not followed that situation.
I think he is an Unrestricted free agent at the end of the year.  They(Arizona) could get something for him in case he decides to go for the money in FA.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 17, 2006, 11:01:15 AM

Hey you know, Gruden could have said , "I didn't see the hold on Nece either." 

He hasn't bashed the Refs when things weren't going his way, and he handled this situation perfectly.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 17, 2006, 11:03:04 AM

I like Grudens's usual line when the press try and get a reaction to the Refs – “I don’t like throwing money away so I will not make any comments”.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 17, 2006, 11:07:37 AM

O-LINE CHANGES: Sean Mahan, who started every game at right guard last season and three games this year, replaced LG Dan Buenning in Sunday's victory, but Gruden wouldn't say if that will be a permanent move.

"We're going to continue to look at that and try to get the best five guys on the field," Gruden said.

Did anybody happen to read that far down?  What the H-E-L-L is this team thinking?  Mahan in for Buenning? 

Garv

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 17, 2006, 11:09:30 AM

I'd be surprise if we get anything for the players mentioned before the deadline. Pleasantly surprised hopefully!
It just doesn't happen often.

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 17, 2006, 11:10:42 AM

I know it sounds VERY crazy...  but are we maybe shopping Buenning?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 17, 2006, 11:11:44 AM

Did anybody happen to read that far down? What the H-E-L-L is this team thinking? Mahan in for Buenning?

It is like I said a while back.

I don't know what the hell is going on anymore.  Some of the stuff that has been happening is odd, to say the least.

Garv

Hall of Famer
#10 : October 17, 2006, 11:16:24 AM

I know it sounds VERY crazy...  but are we maybe shopping Buenning?

It IS crazy! No. Type about shooting yourself in the foot! LOL

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 17, 2006, 11:26:38 AM

I know it sounds VERY crazy...  but are we maybe shopping Buenning?

Not as crazy are you may think.

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#12 : October 17, 2006, 11:28:07 AM

We need to definetly go after Nate Clements, whatever the price tag. I personally think that he is better than any corner that we have had. Did you see Bolden look back for 2-3 seconds before that 51 yarder was completed to Chad Johnson? He didn't even leap to knco the ball away...pathetic! Not to mention the whiff on Housmazilly!

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#13 : October 17, 2006, 11:34:03 AM

It IS crazy! No. Type about shooting yourself in the foot! LOL

Not as crazy if the Bucs are looking to add Leonard Davis, which might mean AD moves to OG?

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#14 : October 17, 2006, 01:30:57 PM

Not as crazy if the Bucs are looking to add Leonard Davis, which might mean AD moves to OG?

That is my guess if that is what we are doing.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Eyeing OL « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools