Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rookie QB's to Play or Not To Play « previous next »
Page: 1

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

: February 19, 2007, 10:47:13 PM

I'd wondered about this:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2005/01/19/ramblings/stat-analysis/2262/

A study of 30 players is not sufficient to determine the best way to develop a quarterback. Nonetheless, this limited evidence clearly shows that highly drafted quarterbacks that have waited through at least their rookie season have a much better track record than those who play their rookie seasons. While it is possible that a major factor in the success of those quarterbacks is the quality of the team when they became the full-time starter, it still seems inappropriate for a team to throw their high draft pick into the fire if they are not a good team.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

jsunm73

Pro Bowler

#1 : February 19, 2007, 11:46:07 PM

dal to me it is like a player in baseball.say a closer.they have to have the right makeup.that is to say an attitude like nobody else.call it mental toughness,stubborness,or maybe even stupidity.like a guy will to ram his head into a brick wall 100 times just to prove he can do it.as a pro qb you either have those entangibles,plus talent,and maybe even some luck.now throwing a qb to the wolves as you say,cannot be determined until you do it.besides it is how he reacts.like a man or a mouse.that is why they have those stupid tests at the combine all with all those interviews and skill tests.can some guys fool you sure.but can you tell a winner from a loser?i say definately.it all depends also on how badly you can fool yourself or make a desperate move.that is to say buy some fool's gold.is it always wise.no.can it get a coach fired.yes.does it pan out sometimes.look at say rich gannon.it all depends on the team,good coaching and the player's willingness to learn and believe in himself.in my opinion rookies should play a little just to get a taste of what they are in for.if not then like simms it is on the job training.we have seen how that has worked out so far.i hope this helps.

gone

Hall of Famer
#2 : February 20, 2007, 01:13:42 AM

Alot has to do with their team.  A fair amount has to do with the difference in training from college to pros.  I'd say another big factor is the hit to their confidence.  Coming in from college these guys could do a ton of things on the field that they can't do in the NFL.  Some of these guys just got shell-shocked, it happens.  If you're looking for someone who'll hit the ground running next year, look for Leinart, although he may be hurt by having 2 coaches his first 2 years.  Grads may never recover.  I'd think it's especially hard on the smaller school guys who don't have that polish on their mechanics that a Leinart might have. 
Before you can really be successful at the NFL level you have to have that consistency in mechanics, or be blessed with a great team to carry you.  The Big Ben group guys that were successful had one or both: good pre-NFL training, or a good team to carry them so the didn't get shell-shocked.  This kept their confidence intact while they put the final flourishes on their mechanics.  I think the main thing is to make sure they retain the confidence that they can make that pass, that they can read that D, that they can do what they want out there.
So if I was looking at a rookie I'd ask how far along in perfecting his form and understanding what they see.  There are guys out there that can't step in and make the plays, the throws they used to in college, without getting their stuff polished up first.  Those are the ones that need time to develop, a year or two.  They have the other pieces, but if you throw them in too early you'll cripple their belief -- it only takes a tenth of a second of hesitation and the window on that pass is closed.  They're the guys that are "rough but with potential".  They need to be less rough before you throw them into the fire, or they'll always be a bit unsure.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rookie QB's to Play or Not To Play « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools